Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2012, 11:36 AM

8 posts, read 12,490 times

Advertisements

Hi,
We: me and my wife Luda - not so young married couple from Ukraine (59 and 56 y.o.) – won Green Card Lottery.
Unfortunately situation in our country isn’t improving at all so we intend to begin independently of our age “to open” America.
We would very much like to ask you, dear unknown people, to help us at least with good advice where it is possibly to stay in NY (not so expensive or even maybe – very cheap) for our first 7-8 days in America while we can earn even a little.
Excuse us for our maybe not so good English, mistakes in this letter or if you’ll maybe find it indelicate or incorrect but we will wait and hope.
Today is 7-th January - our Christmas - therefore we send to all of you the best wishes from us and our small but famous Ukrainian town Kobelyaky.
Miracles take place at this our world, isn’t it?
Sincerely yours,
Valery & Luda.
E-mail:
valeryskor@yahoo.com

Last edited by Mr.Koro; 01-07-2012 at 11:41 AM.. Reason: mistaces
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2012, 11:44 AM

85 posts, read 333,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Koro View Post
Hi,
We: me and my wife Luda - not so young married couple from Ukraine (59 and 56 y.o.) – won Green Card Lottery.
Unfortunately situation in our country isn’t improving at all so we intend to begin independently of our age “to open” America.
We would very much like to ask you, dear unknown people, to help us at least with good advice where it is possibly to stay in NY (not so expensive or even maybe – very cheap) for our first 7-8 days in America while we can earn even a little.
Excuse us for our maybe not so good English, mistakes in this letter or if you’ll maybe find it indelicate or incorrect but we will wait and hope.
Today is 7-th January - our Christmas - therefore we send to all of you the best wishes from us and our small but famous Ukrainian town Kobelyaky.
Miracles take place at this our world, isn’t it?
Sincerely yours,
Valery & Luda.
E-mail:
valeryskor@yahoo.com
Congratulations! There is a youth hostel around 103rd and Amsterdam ave. This is probably going to be cheapest place to stay for a week or less. You can also try hotels in New Jersey which tend to be lot cheaper.

Old 01-07-2012, 12:01 PM

Default Many thanks for first advice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnemployedFinanceGuy View Post
Congratulations! There is a youth hostel around 103rd and Amsterdam ave. This is probably going to be cheapest place to stay for a week or less. You can also try hotels in New Jersey which tend to be lot cheaper.
Many thanks for first advice! How is it possibly to find this hostel? How much possibly costs one day in it? They said us that way from New Jersey is rather not so cheap as for us, especially first days. Is it true?
Valery & Luda.

Old 01-07-2012, 12:08 PM

85 posts, read 333,800 times
Quote:
Many thanks for first advice! How is it possibly to find this hostel? How much possibly costs one day in it? They said us that way from New Jersey is rather not so cheap as for us, especially first days. Is it true?
Valery & Luda.
Try this link: HI - New York Hostel :: Hostel to Reserve in the United States . All your questions are answered here.

Old 01-07-2012, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnemployedFinanceGuy View Post
Try this link: HI - New York Hostel :: Hostel to Reserve in the United States . All your questions are answered here.
Thank you very much for second and very quick replay once more!
We tryed this link but francly speaking prices rather bite us (45 and more USD per night per person) as for our possibly possibilities.
Maybe it'll be better and cheaper to rent room, for instance in Brooklyn, near subway? How much does possibly it cost for us as "beginners'?
Many thanks to you and to every kind and responsive people beforehand!
WE ARE TRYING TO HELP TO PEOPLE HERE. IN UKRAINE. SO MAYBE SOMEBODY CAN HELP US AND IN AMERICA?
Valery & Luda.

Old 01-07-2012, 12:54 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,130,025 times
I suggest that you begin by contacting members of Ukrainian societies in NYC. Perhaps one of your fellow countrymen who now live in Brooklyn could help you by suggesting a cheap place to stay. Often people from specific countries will help others coming over from their same country.

Here is a meet-up of Ukrainian speakers in NYC Ukrainian Language and Social Networking Group (New York, NY) - Meetup
Members - Ukrainian Language and Social Networking Group (New York, NY) - Meetup
Ukrainian soccer club of NYC NY Ukrainian Soccer Club - (114 Kent Street, Brooklyn, NY) - powered by LeagueLineup.com

Best of luck.

Old 01-07-2012, 01:07 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,669,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
I suggest that you begin by contacting members of Ukrainian societies in NYC. Perhaps one of your fellow countrymen who now live in Brooklyn could help you by suggesting a cheap place to stay. Often people from specific countries will help others coming over from their same country.

Here is a meet-up of Ukrainian speakers in NYC Ukrainian Language and Social Networking Group (New York, NY) - Meetup
Members - Ukrainian Language and Social Networking Group (New York, NY) - Meetup
Ukrainian soccer club of NYC NY Ukrainian Soccer Club - (114 Kent Street, Brooklyn, NY) - powered by LeagueLineup.com

Best of luck.

Henna's suggestion is wonderful. I will add to it by mentioning

New York City in the Ukrainian Diaspora at BRAMA - Gateway Ukraine

Welcome to Ukrainian New York

Ukrainian in New York, Ukrainian expats living in New York

I should add, however, that despite these links, I hope that you don't use that as an excuse to only associate with ex-Ukrainians here, but go out to adventurously meet all kinds of Americans.

Also, as with any visitor, since it sounds like you haven't done any research at all about New York, I urge you to buy a few books, like guidebooks, because this is a very bustling and complicated city.

I should mention that NYC is also an expensive place, so I hope you will be arriving with enough money to get you settled in. It worries me that you can't even afford $90 a night; perhaps you should try to find some place that will give you a weekly rate, which may be cheaper. Good luck.

Old 01-07-2012, 01:52 PM

Default Unfortunately...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
Henna's suggestion is wonderful. I will add to it by mentioning

New York City in the Ukrainian Diaspora at BRAMA - Gateway Ukraine

Welcome to Ukrainian New York

Ukrainian in New York, Ukrainian expats living in New York

I should add, however, that despite these links, I hope that you don't use that as an excuse to only associate with ex-Ukrainians here, but go out to adventurously meet all kinds of Americans.

Also, as with any visitor, since it sounds like you haven't done any research at all about New York, I urge you to buy a few books, like guidebooks, because this is a very bustling and complicated city.

I should mention that NYC is also an expensive place, so I hope you will be arriving with enough money to get you settled in. It worries me that you can't even afford $90 a night; perhaps you should try to find some place that will give you a weekly rate, which may be cheaper. Good luck.
Dear Gida,
In our poor Ukraine there are a lot of millionaires and even billionaires but we unfortunately can't afford to pay $90 a night as for us it is almost my month's pension (Luda). Shame for us but unfortunately it is so... Therefore we decided write to this as for us maybe too respectable Forum.
It is so pity and excuse us...
Valery & Luda.

Last edited by Mr.Koro; 01-07-2012 at 01:54 PM.. Reason: grammar mistace

Old 01-07-2012, 02:08 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,669,164 times
Quote:
Dear Gida,
In our poor Ukraine there are a lot of millionaires and even billionaires but we unfortunately can't afford to pay $90 a night as for us it is almost my month's pension (Luda). Shame for us but unfortunately it is so... Therefore we decided write to this as for us maybe too respectable Forum.
Valery & Luda.
My point is that NYC is a very expensive city. And it is no longer a city where you can simply show up and expect to get work right away. Perhaps even harder in your case, since you're not fluent in English. I'm worried that you're going to end up disastrously if you won't have enough to live on.

Old 01-08-2012, 09:16 PM

559 posts, read 1,111,647 times
Have you considered moving to Chicago, instead of New York? Chicago has a big Ukrainian community, and you'll be able to get tips and help from your compatriots.

But, I don't know, is there also a big Ukrainian community in the NY area?

Quote:
Dear Gida,
Valery & Luda.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City