Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 06:44 AM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
To collect even a penny of unemplyment you need a quarter's work with another quarter making half of that amount during the last year and a quarter.
You also need to have had a job that was "on the books."
You also must not have been "fired for cause" or "quit."
You also must not have fallen through gaps left by the fat rich Republican House members.

So, saying they should collect unemployment ot worse get a job in an economy where there are 5 or 50 people vying for every available scarce or non-existant job is a lot like Marie Antoinette when told "the people have no bread" saying "Well, why don't they eat CAKE?"

A LOT of people have been well and truly chewed up and spit out by this Dickensian economy. Probably the REAL numbers, if anyone had an interest in compiling them, would be STAGGERING. But it's better for politicians, bankers, Wall Street executives and media moguls that the true extent of the cruelty of this money-money-money society, where the rich are getting IMMENSELY richer while Joe Median gets poorer and poorer and Mr. Bottom Ten Percent gets unemployed, homeless, and begging in the streets, remains a dark ugly secret and should never be discussed, certainly not by the craven monsters running for the highest office in the country.

Unemployemnt compensation? If one makes minimum wage that's $7.25 an hour and gets 40 hours work, that's $3779 per quater. Divide by 26 and get $145 per week and it's taxable. See if YOU can get housing on $145 a week. (Too much for food stamps by the way.) And far too little to buy a $1000 suit to snare one of those many Wall Street vice presidencies that go beggin, at least in the mind of the Marie Antoinettes of this world.
Had the poor ****** been able to work only 20 hours a week (a lot can only get part time work) he gets HALLF of that $145...or $72/week. (They round DOWN.)

Telling the homeless to "get a job" is aking to solving the problems of the poor by telling them to "GET RICH!"
Agree. Some of those people will NEVER be able to find a place in the "mainstream", no matter what. They just don't have the capability to function in society, and it's not necessarily their fault.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2012, 11:29 AM

1,144 posts, read 2,990,482 times
Quote:
To collect even a penny of unemplyment you need a quarter's work with another quarter making half of that amount during the last year and a quarter.
You also need to have had a job that was "on the books."
You also must not have been "fired for cause" or "quit."
You also must not have fallen through gaps left by the fat rich Republican House members.

So, saying they should collect unemployment ot worse get a job in an economy where there are 5 or 50 people vying for every available scarce or non-existant job is a lot like Marie Antoinette when told "the people have no bread" saying "Well, why don't they eat CAKE?"

A LOT of people have been well and truly chewed up and spit out by this Dickensian economy. Probably the REAL numbers, if anyone had an interest in compiling them, would be STAGGERING. But it's better for politicians, bankers, Wall Street executives and media moguls that the true extent of the cruelty of this money-money-money society, where the rich are getting IMMENSELY richer while Joe Median gets poorer and poorer and Mr. Bottom Ten Percent gets unemployed, homeless, and begging in the streets, remains a dark ugly secret and should never be discussed, certainly not by the craven monsters running for the highest office in the country.

Unemployemnt compensation? If one makes minimum wage that's $7.25 an hour and gets 40 hours work, that's $3779 per quater. Divide by 26 and get $145 per week and it's taxable. See if YOU can get housing on $145 a week. (Too much for food stamps by the way.) And far too little to buy a $1000 suit to snare one of those many Wall Street vice presidencies that go beggin, at least in the mind of the Marie Antoinettes of this world.
Had the poor ****** been able to work only 20 hours a week (a lot can only get part time work) he gets HALLF of that $145...or $72/week. (They round DOWN.)

Telling the homeless to "get a job" is aking to solving the problems of the poor by telling them to "GET RICH!"

I'm not saying I know anything more about unemployment than the next guy, but even if they can't collect unemployment I still stand by my original comment regarding getting crafty. And don't take this too literaly, I'm not saying they need to pick up a paint brush or trumpet, they need to get crafty in their minds. Come up with a plan, "what's the exit strategy?" and that's where the problem is. Most of these people don't have a plan. I could give them food and shelter, with out a plan they are never going to get themselves off the streets.

Addiction problems are another issue. Yea I understand it sucks, and I don't know how it feels to be addicted to something, but I'm not going to give them anything (not even a banana!!) to support their habit. Why would anyone? Does it even make sense?

Old 01-12-2012, 12:37 PM

1,933 posts, read 3,751,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
LOL.

There used to be a woman at the World Trade Center who would sit by the entrance to the East River Savings Bank ATMs and ask for a $20 when people exited. When you didn't give her anything, she would scream, You B*tch you got it all and I got nothin'!

There were people who walked around the neighborhood handing out sandwiches to the homeless, and one day they gave this woman one and she threw it at them, screaming "I don't want food! I want money!" Eventually I think PAPD tossed her out of the WTC because she was too annoying.

That's a good idea--offer something other than cash to see if they are genuinely looking for help. Often they are addicts, which in itself is sad, but I'm not giving money to someone to get high.
You reminded me of the lady that rides the 4,5,6 train. She claims she is pregnant and needs assistance cause she is homeless and hungry. She would do this during rush hour and people would give her money. That lady was pregnant since 2000. I moved to England in 2004 and when I came back to NYC in 2009 she was still pregnant!!!!!! And looking very old. Every time the cops would get on at Union Square she would high tail it off that train cause they knew her motive.

Old 01-12-2012, 01:16 PM

1,483 posts, read 3,162,260 times
Sadly the issue of homelessness is way more complex than simply telling these people to 'get a job'. And most of the time it is nearly impossible to tell who really and truly need help because they'd been through a rough patch in life and lost everything. Some are legitimately in need of assistance, while others want nothing but handouts, alcohol or drugs.

Old 01-12-2012, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilonag View Post
sadly the issue of homelessness is way more complex than simply telling these people to 'get a job'. And most of the time it is nearly impossible to tell who really and truly need help because they'd been through a rough patch in life and lost everything. Some are legitimately in need of assistance, while others want nothing but handouts, alcohol or drugs.
+1

Old 01-13-2012, 01:50 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,672,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayo_michael View Post
I never know about these people. I always ask myself, "If I were flat broke and without a roof over my head or food to feed myself, would I sit in the street with an empty big gulp and ask others to give me their money?" I wouldn't. I couldn't. So why do these people do it? Because of people like you. Why aren't these people collecting unemployment?

I'm led to believe they are lazy. Too lazy to get cleaned up, too lazy to seek employment, too lazy to even signup for unemployment (I know you need an address to collect unemployment which goes againt being "homeless" but there are places that will help you with this).

Homeless in other nations get crafty. Americans, not so much. I've even offered a job to one guy once. I asked a him to stand in line at TKTS for a few bucks, but he declined. I guess he wasn't that desperate for money... whatever dude, lazy!

Just today, a friend of mine offered one man a banana and a yogurt with a spoon, but he only wanted CASH. Who says no to a perfectly good banana!?
Next time offer him a toothbrush or deodorant to see if he is appreciative. You might be surprised.

Thanks, all of you, for your interest, and to Upson Downs for your suggestion. (Seventh Floor, I'm doubtful about Homeless Services, because apparently the guy isn't homeless.)

I'm sure it's true that some of the beggars are scams, and some are lazy, but there is no doubt in my mind that some of them are truly poor, desperate people. Of course, probably some are desperate because they didn't bother acquiring a minimal education that might translate into a salary, or some because they were self-destructive in one way or another, but there can be times when there's just an avalanche of disaster - probably more so in this economy.

Old 01-14-2012, 06:25 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,078,660 times
Quote:
And don't take this too literaly, I'm not saying they need to pick up a paint brush or trumpet, they need to get crafty in their minds. Come up with a plan, "what's the exit strategy?"

Many have...they turn to guns, sell drugs, MAKE drugs, burgle apartments, rob people, liquor stores and gas stations. Perhaps a society with a safety net would force fewer of these people looking at a dead end to become "crafty."

Moving all manufacturing jobs overseas has had dire consequences for employment and these consequences cannnot be properly accounted for by demanding people become "crafty" or get a few more years of education. If everyone who was without a job today suddeny, by Harry Potter's majic want, received a Master's degree, the economy will not have created a single new job.
Rather the education level of the unemployed would merely have increased, as it has decade by decade.

Back in the 1930's Depression most unemployed were without high school diplomas. TODAY's Depression sees most of the unemployed WITH hgh school diplomas.

Old 01-16-2012, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Many have...they turn to guns, sell drugs, MAKE drugs, burgle apartments, rob people, liquor stores and gas stations. Perhaps a society with a safety net would force fewer of these people looking at a dead end to become "crafty."

Moving all manufacturing jobs overseas has had dire consequences for employment and these consequences cannnot be properly accounted for by demanding people become "crafty" or get a few more years of education. If everyone who was without a job today suddeny, by Harry Potter's majic want, received a Master's degree, the economy will not have created a single new job.
Rather the education level of the unemployed would merely have increased, as it has decade by decade.

Back in the 1930's Depression most unemployed were without high school diplomas. TODAY's Depression sees most of the unemployed WITH hgh school diplomas.
Violence and Drugs isn't the answer. That's still lazy. It's so easy to take money from other people, especially at gun/knife point.

And why do they need a safety net? So they have a soft landing at the bottom when they fall? We all managed without one, why can't they? It's easier to let go when you know you're safe to do so. I, just like everybody else hung on (and still hang on) for dear life and make sure I didn't end up on the street.

You can go out and provide this net out of your own pocket if you'd like, but I really doubt this will do anything in the long term.

And education isn't the answer. Education is only supplemental to drive, and without drive you can only acheive adequacy at best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City