Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2012, 04:54 PM

106,655 posts, read 108,810,853 times

Advertisements

actually yes, im in favor of doing away with laws that put my life at risk by taking away my ability to protect myself from those who chose not to obey the law and be criminals.

speed limits are fine, passing laws that outlaw certain safety features on cars so you can be protected from speeders better would be a more appropriate comparison.

Last edited by mathjak107; 01-10-2012 at 05:03 PM..

Old 01-10-2012, 05:16 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,176,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
actually yes, im in favor of doing away with laws that put my life at risk by taking away my ability to protect myself from those who chose not to obey the law and be criminals.

speed limits are fine, passing laws that outlaw certain safety features on cars so you can be protected from speeders better would be a more appropriate comparison.
So how exactly do NYC laws put your life at risk?

Old 01-10-2012, 05:21 PM

well when they put me at a disadvantage to the scum around me by not letting me be able to defend against an attack with equal force because we have no ccw provisions thats a problem.

my wife and i were accosted in cunnigham park last year so im well aware of the need.

Old 01-10-2012, 05:26 PM

103 posts, read 166,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
So how exactly do NYC laws put your life at risk?
Take the A train at 3 in the morning on a Saturday night...

Old 01-10-2012, 05:35 PM

Quote:
well when they put me at a disadvantage to the scum around me by not letting me be able to defend against an attack with equal force because we have no ccw provisions thats a problem.

my wife and i were accosted in cunnigham park last year so im well aware of the need.
Have you thought about moving? Obviously it sounds like you don't feel safe there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goblue123 View Post
Take the A train at 3 in the morning on a Saturday night...
Well obviously I am guessing that is not a safe train to be on at that time of night, maybe you should take a cab or look for a better place to live that doesn't require you to take that train.

I grew up in a city that had some pretty bad ghettos and I never needed a gun because I never found myself in those areas.

You guys do have the right to move if some place scares you, and your money will probably go a lot further. But nothing I have found actually prevents someone from carrying a gun in NYC, unless you are going to a landmark place which kind of makes sense.

Also, that question was about NYC gun laws, how exactly do they put your life in danger? Can you not get a gun if you want one? Or are you telling me no one in NYC is able to get a gun? Also if that is a scary train to ride on, then I doubt a gun will fix anything, there is obviously a root problem that needs to be dealt with to reduce the crime in the area.

Old 01-10-2012, 05:51 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,630,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post

I know I wouldn't be afraid if I heard someone prowling my house in the middle of the night. I've practiced moving through my house in the dark, know where furniture is in relation to open spaces, have legal firearms within reach, and am prepared and trained to use them to defend my family, myself, and my property as is my legal right.

Bonanza Theme Song - YouTube

Old 01-10-2012, 06:26 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,043,499 times
Quote:

Also, that question was about NYC gun laws, how exactly do they put your life in danger?

A little bit of history for ya. When Hitler came to power in the 1930's in Germany he promised them the world. The first thing he did however, was enact strict gun control laws for the Jews (and maybe for many other Germans as well). Mao Zedong also did the same in China after he came to power. Under Hitler the first step for gun control was gun registration and then all of the other limitations began to fall into place until it became illegal for any Jew to possess any kind of firearm. He used the gun registration records as a way to know exactly which German citizens possessed firearms as well as how many.

Sadly as we all know it and according to history it wouldnt be to long before they were rounded up and discarded in internment camps, without a chance to defend and protect themselves just as Mao Zedong did in China as well murdering millions of his own people. As I think about it to this day Im sure that many of those victims would have liked to have had a fighting chance.

There is a reason why gun control exists and it has absolutely nothing to do with your protection after all why would political figures even care about the protection and safety of our well being.

Give them an inch and they take a mile.

And with that said I rest my case.

Oh MathJak thank you for your input in this forum. I couldnt agree more.

Old 01-10-2012, 06:26 PM

1,250 posts, read 2,158,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistergus75 View Post
Those of you who don't like guns...
Those of you who think guns are dangerous...
Those of you who think "guns kill people"...

There is a thing called the United States Constitution. Within this Constitution is a thing called called the 2nd Amendment, which guarantees the right of the people "to keep and bear arms".

People have a right to defend themselves, and they have the right to do so using guns.

But you people in New York...You don't care...Not enough to stand up as free people.

You've surrendered your right.

Now...since this right is part of the Constitution, you have to decide...

Are you lawless...or gutless?
Excuse me, mistergus?

The actual wording of the 2nd Amendment is:

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

Got that?

well regulated militia

Who regulates militias?

Why, moderate sensible people, of course! People who elect people to regulate; ratified and worded as such for the sensible defense of the new country needing a constitution.

I assume you and your buddies who want to bring your arsenal to New York are all members of a well regulated militia? Please bring your paperwork verifying this, thanks.

Old 01-10-2012, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Have you thought about moving? Obviously it sounds like you don't feel safe there.

Well obviously I am guessing that is not a safe train to be on at that time of night, maybe you should take a cab or look for a better place to live that doesn't require you to take that train.

I grew up in a city that had some pretty bad ghettos and I never needed a gun because I never found myself in those areas.

You guys do have the right to move if some place scares you, and your money will probably go a lot further. But nothing I have found actually prevents someone from carrying a gun in NYC, unless you are going to a landmark place which kind of makes sense.

Also, that question was about NYC gun laws, how exactly do they put your life in danger? Can you not get a gun if you want one? Or are you telling me no one in NYC is able to get a gun? Also if that is a scary train to ride on, then I doubt a gun will fix anything, there is obviously a root problem that needs to be dealt with to reduce the crime in the area.
i feel safe here , but im not complacent about what goes on anywhere.

as they say the difference between men who have affairs and men who dont is opportunity, the difference between those in favor of protecting themselves and those that count on others to do it is those that want to do it themselves have already seen no one will be there to protect them if the need arises.

Old 01-10-2012, 06:56 PM

Quote:
i feel safe here , but im not complacent about what goes on anywhere.

as they say the difference between men who have affairs and men who dont is opportunity, the difference between those in favor of protecting themselves and those that count on others to do it is those that want to do it themselves have already seen no one will be there to protect them if the need arises.
So you live in constant fear? Well you can try to connect gun laws to Hitler, but what about the countries that have strict gun laws and no Hitler has formed there? I recall an Aussie commenting that mentioned this...or are you saying we should be worried of an Aussie uprise?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City