Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2012, 04:46 PM

1,142 posts, read 2,123,831 times

Advertisements

its like this anyone with a gun permit should not expect it to hold water in another state - when i travel through different states i always look up the rules of the road - just because i have a license in delaware doesnt mean the rules of the road are the same in north dakota -
i will say it is a shame since he served our country and hopefully that will be taken into consideration -

Old 01-11-2012, 04:48 PM

142 posts, read 460,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistergus75 View Post
Ther Constitution of the United States guarantees us, as a God-given right, the right to "keep and bear arms". But you people in New York...You've surrendered your God-given rights, and have laid down like sheep.
So which is it? Does the Constitution give us the right or does God give it to us?

Keep all that hokey, okey-finokey stuff down in Texas where it belongs. Please.

Old 01-11-2012, 04:52 PM

142 posts, read 460,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistergus75 View Post
Those of you who don't like guns...
Those of you who think guns are dangerous...
Those of you who think "guns kill people"...

There is a thing called the United States Constitution. Within this Constitution is a thing called called the 2nd Amendment, which guarantees the right of the people "to keep and bear arms".

People have a right to defend themselves, and they have the right to do so using guns.

But you people in New York...You don't care...Not enough to stand up as free people.

You've surrendered your right.

Now...since this right is part of the Constitution, you have to decide...

Are you lawless...or gutless?
The Constitution also counted a slave as having 3/5ths to the right of representation as a white man.

Not everything in the constitution is applicable to our lives today. Go away.

Old 01-11-2012, 06:01 PM

142 posts, read 258,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goblue123 View Post
Yeah, but there is no Castle Doctrine in NY. Meaning, you can't kill an intruder, you must first "retreat". Retreat in your own home... doesn't sound like the land of the free to me.

Wanting to protect yourself and living in NYC is like trying to fit a square peg in a round hole.
Ah, the divine castle doctrine. In some states, it even applies to your vehicle, or you just walking around somewhere and feeling like you are being threatened.

Don't worry, plenty of crews on the corners subscribe to it religiously.

I hope you're also sharing your downhome witticisms on the Washington, DC board: their fighting and finnagling to keep gun rights curtailed makes New York City look like Wyoming, and their violent crime rate is over twice that of new york.

Old 01-11-2012, 08:24 PM

40,049 posts, read 34,473,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorkobserveher View Post
Keep all that hokey, okey-finokey stuff down in Texas where it belongs. Please.
Yeah, the OP caught us all with our pants down, didn't he? What a completely unexpected surprise--a Texan looking straight down his nose at New Yorkers. Who would've expected such a thing?

Old 01-11-2012, 09:56 PM

458 posts, read 613,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Yeah, the OP caught us all with our pants down, didn't he? What a completely unexpected surprise--a Texan looking straight down his nose at New Yorkers. Who would've expected such a thing?
^ A more perfect example of the pot calling the kettle black would be hard to find.

Old 01-11-2012, 11:12 PM

1,604 posts, read 1,559,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deevel79 View Post
NYC residents have accepted the fact that they are being oppressed due to terror threats. Its quite sad.

I myself find it outragous that a man is prohibited from owning a gun at home in the event he has to protect his family against intruders, burglers, murderers, etc.

scenario: A man breaks into my home to harm me and my family. In turn grab a gun and shoot him to protect us. I beat the shooting charge but face 3 1/2yrs for the illegal gun posession. ridiculous!
We have accepted the fact that we live in a big, safe, and secure city thanks to very strict anti-gun laws and a vigilant police force. We like it that way and we don't want no redneck telling us how to live.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goblue123 View Post
Yeah, but there is no Castle Doctrine in NY. Meaning, you can't kill an intruder, you must first "retreat". Retreat in your own home... doesn't sound like the land of the free to me.

Wanting to protect yourself and living in NYC is like trying to fit a square peg in a round hole.
Protecting yourself is different from murdering someone at your own discretion. When you talk about "killing an intruder" it's no different from saying you'll blow someone's head off just for stepping foot on your property. There is a difference between using deadly force to protect yourself when your life is actually threatened and just murdering someone because it makes you feel good.

Old 01-12-2012, 06:26 AM

18,837 posts, read 13,725,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkGuy View Post
When you talk about "killing an intruder" it's no different from saying you'll blow someone's head off just for stepping foot on your property.
That's a ridiculous statement, and I think deep down, you know that. The OP is a blatant retard, but you shouldn't feed into it by being just as bad.

Old 01-12-2012, 11:53 AM

142 posts, read 258,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
What's funny is that the goal was to portray NYC as a liberal sheep pen where people have abdicated their gun rights without a wimper, when the issues raised have more to do with some problematic REGULATIONS of said rights. Chicago and DC have both fought court battles to try to keep blanket handgun bans in effect (and in the case of DC, a neocon congress could easily have strongarmed the ban out of existence if they'd cared to), but of course neither has the supposedly liberal cachet that New York does.

When that more or less failed, then New York State was faulted for not having enacted a Castle Doctrine law, a redundant bit of over-the-top legal protection which would be unnecessary in a real home invasion scenario.

As for the pot calling the kettle black, well, nobody was talking smack about Texas before this absurdly titled thread popped up.

Old 01-12-2012, 02:42 PM

4,531 posts, read 8,818,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdinmigration View Post
Excuse me, mistergus?

The actual wording of the 2nd Amendment is:

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

Got that?

well regulated militia

Who regulates militias?

Why, moderate sensible people, of course! People who elect people to regulate; ratified and worded as such for the sensible defense of the new country needing a constitution.

I assume you and your buddies who want to bring your arsenal to New York are all members of a well regulated militia? Please bring your paperwork verifying this, thanks.

The Militia at the time was defined as able bodied Males of a certain age. However the Second Amendment does NOT say The militia has the right to keep and bear arms. Instead it says" the people have the right to keep and bear arms". Now is that concept so difficult to understand?

GL2
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City