Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 12:10 AM

1,268 posts, read 2,562,198 times

Advertisements

Personally I love the wide streets of Harlem, particularly below 125th st. Walking on Lenox Ave and 7th Ave during the winter time? Pretty beautiful IMO. Gritty streets with a touch of class, plus again they're so wide. And yes, I too love the African American feel that still persists, in spite of gentrification.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2012, 08:27 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,078,660 times
The change has been EXTREMELY huge. In fact there are no more black people in Harlem...a realtor told me that so therefore it must be true.
It is now all young white people making $100,000+ each year and working on Wall Street. In this it most resembles the wondrously transfigured South Bronx.

"Just sign here and we will await your bank's approval."

Old 01-11-2012, 01:03 PM

2,896 posts, read 9,813,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I mean this in a good way. Despite all the talk of gentrification, when I visited Harlem I felt I was in the movie Shaft or Superfly.
LMAO!

You were Fn fantasizing!!!!

Please turn off the VCR and burn that VHS tape. Or, should that be, please turn in your Betamax to the nearest museum, asap!!!

Why is there no Btch slapping smiley? This thread is surely appropriate.

Old 01-11-2012, 01:17 PM

32,108 posts, read 34,720,210 times
Quote:
I mean this in a good way. Despite all the talk of gentrification, when I visited Harlem I felt I was in the movie Shaft or Superfly. I felt pretty safe, even though it was daytime, and was still surprised how few non-blacks there were. I liked how everything looked retro old-school, like the buildings, shop-fronts.etc. Didn't see many afros and stuff, but it just felt 70s or 80s in feel to me. Would you share the same observation?
Haha. I can't say that I've ever felt like I was in Shaft or that it felt "retro" even. Harlem, more than other places imo, takes pride in being cutting-edge (culture wise). They start the trends (i.e., Harlem Shake, Aunt Jackie, Chicken Noodle Soup, Pink Tees) and everyone else follows. Plus, Harlem's so diverse with so many Africans and West Indians that that old school "soul" flavor you get in Chicago, DC or West Philly is not as strong.

Old 01-11-2012, 02:17 PM

2,691 posts, read 4,330,685 times
The outside perception of Harlem as the Black epicenter of America is interesting. I was in Paris last winter and some dude (he was white) who heard my accent stopped to ask me where I was from in the US and I said "New York" and he asked "oh, Harlem!?"- and he was excited that I might actually be from Harlem- I just laughed.

Old 01-11-2012, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2k View Post
The outside perception of Harlem as the Black epicenter of America is interesting. I was in Paris last winter and some dude (he was white) who heard my accent stopped to ask me where I was from in the US and I said "New York" and he asked "oh, Harlem!?"- and he was excited that I might actually be from Harlem- I just laughed.
The French think all black people are from Harlem. I got that question a lot while living there.

Old 01-11-2012, 02:37 PM

1,103 posts, read 1,996,459 times
once a ghetto always a ghetto

Old 01-11-2012, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autoracer9 View Post
once a ghetto always a ghetto
"And stay off my stoop!"

crooklyn part 6 - YouTube

Old 01-11-2012, 07:16 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,060,466 times
I think Harlem has the most character of any nabe in Manhattan, with Chinatown a close second for obvious reasons. Most of the other ethnic enclaves have lost their flavour.

Old 01-11-2012, 08:26 PM

669 posts, read 1,273,913 times
Quote:
I think Harlem has the most character of any nabe in Manhattan, with Chinatown a close second for obvious reasons. Most of the other ethnic enclaves have lost their flavour.

I agree I love Harlem it's still has it's issues but it's gotta be the greatest black neighborhood in America. Realtors are lying to a lot ppl saying isn't still mostly black by a lot just walk around Harlem for a day and they'll see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City