Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 05:30 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,045,839 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Maybe the Riverdale precinct got offset by Marble Hill Houses
Lets not forget about the spill over from Kingsbridge which helps with the increase.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2012, 05:35 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,077,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Lets not forget about the spill over from Kingsbridge which helps with the increase.
Ya,but PP also gets spilldown from the 47th pct above !

Old 01-09-2012, 08:00 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,129,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
SuperMario calculated the rates on a per/100,000 basis so the population of a given area is not a consideration or excuse .The LES sticks out like a sore thumb because it has such a high number of murders per 100,000 people,not because it is less populated or more populated than anywhere else.
But the thing is that the number of people passing through is high, but they aren't recorded when they calculate the stats because they don't live there. More people = more opportunity for crime. In this case, if you keep the numerator (the number of murders committed) the same, but increase the denominator (the number of people) to account for the many people passing through, you should get a safer crime rate.

I mean, the most dangerous areas in the city are technically Midtown because they have a low population, but there are a lot of people passing through which means a lot of crime will take place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
And dont sleep on the 120. From what I've seen on the North Shore it can run with any other borough trust me. I've been everywhere on the North Shore except the Harbor and Arlington Terrace.
The 120 includes a lot of very nice areas. It's like Riverdale being grouped in with Marble Hill and Kingsbridge. Most of the "hood" areas are near the waterfront (Park Hill, Stapleton, parts of New Brighton, Port Richmond and West Brighton north of Post Avenue, and Elm Park/Mariners' Harbor/Arlington north of the train tracks)

I'm in Mariners' Harbor very frequently, so I know what I'm talking about. North of the tracks, and around the PJs is bad, and everything else is alright.

Old 01-09-2012, 08:18 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
The 94th in Brooklyn (Greenpoint) is missing. I assume it's on the low side?

Old 01-09-2012, 08:49 PM

34,091 posts, read 47,293,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
The 120 includes a lot of very nice areas. It's like Riverdale being grouped in with Marble Hill and Kingsbridge. Most of the "hood" areas are near the waterfront (Park Hill, Stapleton, parts of New Brighton, Port Richmond and West Brighton north of Post Avenue, and Elm Park/Mariners' Harbor/Arlington north of the train tracks)

I'm in Mariners' Harbor very frequently, so I know what I'm talking about. North of the tracks, and around the PJs is bad, and everything else is alright.
I should have been more specific. I meant that the bad areas in the 120 stack up to the bad areas in other boroughs. You are correct; majority of the 120 is comprised of decent areas.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 01-09-2012, 08:50 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,916,177 times
Good post. Nice to see my precinct [The 104th] had another good year. I'm surprised that the precinct for Corona and East Elmhurst was so low. Not surprised about South Queens though. The precinct for St. Alban & Springfield Gardens was the highest in Queens, and people here think they're good areas. This proves otherwise.

Old 01-09-2012, 08:55 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,045,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post
Good post. Nice to see my precinct [The 104th] had another good year. I'm surprised that the precinct for Corona and East Elmhurst was so low. Not surprised about South Queens though. The precinct for St. Alban & Springfield Gardens was the highest in Queens, and people here think they're good areas. This proves otherwise.
I dont understand that part of queens, its middle class heavly black home owners but alot of gunplay happens in that area.

Old 01-09-2012, 08:58 PM

Quote:
I dont understand that part of queens, its middle class heavly black home owners but alot of gunplay happens in that area.
Nearby Precinct 105 has one of the lowest crime rates in South Queens, also mostly middle class black.

Old 01-09-2012, 09:09 PM

34,091 posts, read 47,293,896 times
Quote:
Same thing as the 47, no?

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 01-09-2012, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Thanks,SuperMario.

One correction.....lowest Bronx rate is the 49th precinct but that is Pelham Parkway/Morris Park,not Throgg's Neck. Throgg's Neck is the 45th pct.

Interestingly,my pct( 49) has a lower rate for 2011 than Riverdale ! And although it was a bad year in most of The Bronx,Pelham Parkway and Riverdale rates are more like northern Queens, so give the Bx some credit where credit is due.
The precinct for Riverdale also covers Marble Hill and Kingsbridge, which aren't great areas. On the other hand, Pelham Parkway and Morris Park are both very good neighborhoods, in fact, I'm surprised it was actually lower then Throgs Neck & Pelham Bay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City