Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 07:51 PM

79 posts, read 331,036 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by portmu View Post
I've been looking at this board a lot over the past couple of weeks since my son and I are going to be moving there soon (for my job). It seems as though race still matters when it comes to what neighborhood you choose to live in and so I would like to find out what your recommendations are for a 30-something, single black woman who makes $250K/year? I currently live in a very nice, predominantly-white area of San Francisco and have had no problems with overt racism. (Reading this board, however, makes me think that I would in some areas)

Since we will move in the middle of the year, my son will more than likely have to go to public school for the remainder of the school year. It looks like District 2 in Manhattan is the best )but I would consider moving outside of Manhattan if the schools are good). I do like a city environment and am not interested in quiet suburbs.

I'll be working for an investment firm in midtown.

Any recs for neighborhoods would be greatly appreciated.
Upper west side. Brooklyn Heights if you're willing to commute a little longer (about 20 mins. on the train).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2007, 12:08 AM

1,529 posts, read 2,799,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scatman View Post
When your son gets in the 7th grade (or even 6th), make preperations for him to take the Tech/Stuy/Science test (Specialized High Schools Exam). There are Kaplan courses that will prepare him for it!
Hah, good luck on that one.

Next time don't forget to throw in... "HIGHLY COMPETITIVE". Getting your kids into those schools is a challenge.

Old 09-05-2007, 02:55 AM

1,526 posts, read 5,603,883 times
Hustla, this woman is relatively wealthy and can afford to put her kid into a private school if she wants to. Somehow she got where she is now despite her color, and I'm sure education was a huge factor in that. What you seem to be saying here is that "highly competitive" and "challenge" mean "hopeless." If her child works hard and is encouraged by his mom to excel, he has a very good chance to get into a good school. But you always have to throw a dark cloud over every situation, based on your own experience. Bah....

Old 09-05-2007, 08:53 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,942,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvira Black View Post
Hustla, this woman is relatively wealthy and can afford to put her kid into a private school if she wants to. Somehow she got where she is now despite her color, and I'm sure education was a huge factor in that. What you seem to be saying here is that "highly competitive" and "challenge" mean "hopeless." If her child works hard and is encouraged by his mom to excel, he has a very good chance to get into a good school. But you always have to throw a dark cloud over every situation, based on your own experience. Bah....
Agree completely. Which is why I mentioned some of the elite private schools in Manhattan. Why should her son NOT attend one of these?

Old 09-05-2007, 01:27 PM

1,529 posts, read 2,799,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvira Black View Post
I know you don't like me becuase I bring the facts, but why didn't you respond to scatman when he posted those schools. Tell him private schools are an option. No you wait for me.

No dark cloud here. I just give people a dose of reality. It's not about how good you do in school, it's about a test. You score high on that test and hope you did well enough to get in. Unfortunately some schools do not teach on the level. Knowing certain people helps too. Many, MANY kids apply for BX Sci, BK Tech, Stuy. Few get in. Be realistic.

Old 09-05-2007, 09:26 PM

1,526 posts, read 5,603,883 times
Who says I don't like you Hustla? Without you this board would not be the same. I don't mind a friendly, even spirited debate. How boring if we all agreed about everything.

Yes, when you have more money, you have more options. This is true. You can send your kid to a private school if it is within your means. But a good education will give most people more options as well...and more money. I went to a "poor" high school on the LES with some excellent teachers and got my BA at a state school and never took a Kaplan course. I didn't make Harvard, but I'm not complaining.

"Facts" and "being realistic" are a matter of opinion. If your parents value education and encourage you to excel, you have a much better shot than leaving it all up to the schools and the teachers.

And yes, people who can afford it often take the Kaplan tests to help get higher test scores. Is it ethical or "fair?" Perhaps not. Can you get in without the Kaplan course? Quite possibly, if you work hard and are encouraged.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City