Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2012, 01:34 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,033,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nykiddo718718 View Post
Does anyone have a good comparison with Tokyo/Seoul? Are we on the level?
No way. In Japan you can pay your subway fare with a tape of your phone via Near field communication. You can buy anything using near field communication in Japan. Japan's cellphones are more advanced then any iphone. You have to remember nyc is not a technologically advanced city, if it was even poor people would own segways too!

So for breaking down technology racially, however this is from my visual perspective of everyday travel and meeting people in nyc from poor people who use windows 7 to rich eltiest Jews people of color and wasps of the upper west side who buy 2000 macbook pros for themselves and children. Walk past a starbucks and you see majority of Internet users there either using a macbook or an ipad. Take a walk to Washington square park and union sqaure park and catch hipster or an nyu liberal arts student using an macbook pro. Everyone in the subway either uses an ios device or an blackberry as a music player. Every so often hood ghetto people always hip hop, merengue, bachata and reggae from their blackberries with no headphones. I'm like sheesh keep the music to yourself. Most offices still use windowsxp operating system which according to Microsoft will expire and make your computer unusable on Jan 1 2014. I read a lot of tech blog sites and I also comment aswell. As for me I prefer an open source enviornment like windows and aneroid over the walled garden of apples ecosystem. Why? I just love to customize my devices on how if fits me an caters to my User abliities instead of set it and forget like apple. My latest tech gadget is an amazon kindle fire tablet which like, I share 3 4g phones from sprint, wimax baby, I also own a desktop and a netbook aswell as an agony itouch, also I have an xbox360, wii and ps3.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2012, 02:17 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,167,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
No way. In Japan you can pay your subway fare with a tape of your phone via Near field communication. You can buy anything using near field communication in Japan. Japan's cellphones are more advanced then any iphone. You have to remember nyc is not a technologically advanced city, if it was even poor people would own segways too!
I highly doubt everyone in Japan has a N.F.C. Device. However I do think more Japanese embrace the tech, therefore have more uses provided by companies due to userbase. I also disagree their phones are more advanced, same phones as here. In fact I am pretty sure we got the iPhone first (domestic product).

Technologically advanced cities embrace new tech in all sorts of ways, not distribute it freely.

Quote:
So for breaking down technology racially, however this is from my visual perspective of everyday travel and meeting people in nyc from poor people who use windows 7 to rich eltiest Jews people of color and wasps of the upper west side who buy 2000 macbook pros for themselves and children. Walk past a starbucks and you see majority of Internet users there either using a macbook or an ipad. Take a walk to Washington square park and union sqaure park and catch hipster or an nyu liberal arts student using an macbook pro. Everyone in the subway either uses an ios device or an blackberry as a music player. Every so often hood ghetto people always hip hop, merengue, bachata and reggae from their blackberries with no headphones. I'm like sheesh keep the music to yourself. Most offices still use windowsxp operating system which according to Microsoft will expire and make your computer unusable on Jan 1 2014. I read a lot of tech blog sites and I also comment aswell. As for me I prefer an open source enviornment like windows and aneroid over the walled garden of apples ecosystem. Why? I just love to customize my devices on how if fits me an caters to my User abliities instead of set it and forget like apple. My latest tech gadget is an amazon kindle fire tablet which like, I share 3 4g phones from sprint, wimax baby, I also own a desktop and a netbook aswell as an agony itouch, also I have an xbox360, wii and ps3.
Not all those that hang out in gentrified neighborhoods, playing with iPods are W.A.S.P. I guerentee you there was quiet a diverse group of people. Obviously people from low income sections of the city, usually distinguished by style of dress and attitude more then anything will buy the cheaper electronics. Less money. Though plenty own iPhones too. I disagree with your race breakdown and Latinos are not even a race and most of those south of E 96 are assimilated to the point of being indecipherable. They are found all over NYC of all income stratas.

Old 01-15-2012, 02:44 PM

Quote:
I highly doubt everyone in Japan has a N.F.C. Device. However I do think more Japanese embrace the tech, therefore have more uses provided by companies due to userbase. I also disagree their phones are more advanced, same phones as here. In fact I am pretty sure we got the iPhone first (domestic product).

Technologically advanced cities embrace new tech in all sorts of ways, not distribute it freely.

Not all those that hang out in gentrified neighborhoods, playing with iPods are W.A.S.P. I guerentee you there was quiet a diverse group of people. Obviously people from low income sections of the city, usually distinguished by style of dress and attitude more then anything will buy the cheaper electronics. Less money. Though plenty own iPhones too. I disagree with your race breakdown and Latinos are not even a race and most of those south of E 96 are assimilated to the point of being indecipherable. They are found all over NYC of all income stratas.
I didn't say wasps all play with ipods, ipods is the most mainstream device that apple sells dude. And you highly doubt Japanese use nfcc in subways too.

YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

Technolog - Study: Asians favor iPhone, blacks prefer BlackBerry

Old 01-15-2012, 03:11 PM

The race comparison has more to do with income and pop culture among then anything. What about Blacks from SoHo? Seems like the race issue is a result of. Rather not get into that one.

As for N.F.C. I know Tokyo subway uses it. I also feel more Japanese embrace the latest tech when compared to Americans, even New Yorkers. However on a worldwide standpoint i feel NYkers are becoming more and more tech heavy. Both personally and commercially. My question is, how far behind are we?

Old 01-15-2012, 03:14 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,201,005 times
Quote:
No way. In Japan you can pay your subway fare with a tape of your phone via Near field communication.
If you have Google Wallet you can pay for NJT tickets at Penn Station with NFC. Also the subway at the few stations which accept paypass, and cabs.

Old 01-15-2012, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
If you have Google Wallet you can pay for NJT tickets at Penn Station with NFC. Also the subway at the few stations which accept paypass, and cabs.
Yeah that's right I forgot about paypass however its done with a tap of a credit card instead of a cellphone.

Old 01-15-2012, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Yeah that's right I forgot about paypass however its done with a tap of a credit card instead of a cellphone.
Still NFC. Any rumors on the upcoming Metrocard replacement? Hopeing for NFC.

Old 01-15-2012, 03:50 PM

Quote:
The race comparison has more to do with income and pop culture among then anything. What about Blacks from SoHo? Seems like the race issue is a result of. Rather not get into that one.

As for N.F.C. I know Tokyo subway uses it. I also feel more Japanese embrace the latest tech when compared to Americans, even New Yorkers. However on a worldwide standpoint i feel NYkers are becoming more and more tech heavy. Both personally and commercially. My question is, how far behind are we?
Nyc is still behind rest of the country far more behind then silicon valley and other tech centers like Seattle and Boston. That's the reason why bloomberg wants to make a tech center in nyc in order for technology to grow in nyc. Also Nyc is not technology homogeneous every person and every group to different stratas have different taste in tech. Some embrace technology just to have it or some use it for its simplicity. Nyc is still behind the world in tech, probably Bangalore India is more ahead of nyc in tech development.

Old 01-15-2012, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Still NFC. Any rumors on the upcoming Metrocard replacement? Hopeing for NFC.
Don't know but I do hope mta release a metrocard app for android, blackberry, ios and wp7 for metrocard transactions and subway entry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City