Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2007, 04:58 PM

23 posts, read 109,839 times

Advertisements

Hi to all NYC gurus.

My wife and I are considering moving to NYC from Toronto Canada and I need a bit of help here.I am designated CPA accountant and my job offer came at 90K, she has undergraduate degree in physiology and spent 3 years working with autistic kids here in Toronto, so far she has not looked for a job however she feels she can land one around 40K (that's what she makes now). We have a newborn boy and nobody else in NYC. I read a lot about cost of living, however I cannot figure out if it's worth moving for us. Here is my monthly costs in Toronto that I would like to compare to NYC. I assume all other costs such as vocation and retirement savings, barber shop, hockey tickets are very similar to onces in TO and just not worth mentioning.

Car Insurance 400
Cell Phone 90
Food (between 400 to 600) 500
Entertainment 500
Child (diapers and other stuff) 300
Day Care (estimate) 800
Rent 1200
Ban Fees / Odd Interest 20

Are there any city specific expenditures that I should be aware of.

I am just trying to figure out where I will be able to afford a better lifestyle. As I mentioned before we do not know anyone in NYC, how easy is it to get to know people.

Thanks a lot for your replies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2007, 05:13 PM

1,248 posts, read 4,057,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirill View Post
Hi to all NYC gurus.

My wife and I are considering moving to NYC from Toronto Canada and I need a bit of help here.I am designated CPA accountant and my job offer came at 90K, she has undergraduate degree in physiology and spent 3 years working with autistic kids here in Toronto, so far she has not looked for a job however she feels she can land one around 40K (that's what she makes now). We have a newborn boy and nobody else in NYC. I read a lot about cost of living, however I cannot figure out if it's worth moving for us. Here is my monthly costs in Toronto that I would like to compare to NYC. I assume all other costs such as vocation and retirement savings, barber shop, hockey tickets are very similar to onces in TO and just not worth mentioning.

Car Insurance 400
Cell Phone 90
Entertainment 500
Day Care (estimate) 800
Rent 1200

I am just trying to figure out where I will be able to afford a better lifestyle. As I mentioned before we do not know anyone in NYC, how easy is it to get to know people.

Rent for $1,200?? Not in Manhattan. With a child & wife -- Try $4,000 a month or more for an apartment with an adequate amount of space. Don't forget that you need at least 15% of the annual rent anywhere in the 5 boros to pay for a brokers fee which is standard for most rentals.

$1,200 may get you an apartment in some parts of Brooklyn or Queens like in Canarsie, Flatlands, South Ozone Park or near JFK near the Belt Parkway. The trendier areas are well in the $2,000's these days.

As you will find out $130,000 for even one person is not alot especially given confiscatory taxes in this region -- Federal, State & Local + 8.35% sales tax. For some region, people don't care that 30% of a paycheck gets withheld in payroll taxes.

Old 08-05-2007, 05:38 PM

NickL28,Thank a lot for your reply.

150K combined salary will give us 8,300 in after tax cash. An equivalent job in Canada gives us combined income of 100K or 5,600 after tax, so I am looking at an increase on disposable income of 2700 per month, but if you are saying rent will be around 4K, it really erodes all the savings considering everything else stays the same. So far NYC sucks

Old 08-05-2007, 05:38 PM

20 posts, read 118,915 times
130k is not that much for a family of 3 in NYC. Let's go down your list....
Car insurance... full coverage will cost you less then $200 a month/car but.. you may need to pay for parking which is not cheap. In Manhattan, it can costs you about $500/month. However, if you live and work in NYC, you may not need a car at all.
Cell phone will be about the same
Food and Entertainment is a bit low... unless you are planning on cooking at home every night and bring lunch to work. It's easily going to cost you $8-12 just for regular lunch.
Can't comment much on baby stuffs cost. But I think it will cost more then $800 for day care. Also... if you plan on staying here for a longer time... public schools in many areas may not be your ideal choice for you kid.
$1200 for Rent... you may be able to find a 1 bed room in Queens or Brooklyn (in a somewhat decent area); definitely not in Manhattan.
NYC is great but it's very expensive to live here. I don't think you will have much problem to meet people.
Good luck!

Old 08-05-2007, 05:46 PM

Thanks Penny18,

My boy was just born 7 weeks ago, so I'm safe with schools and kindergarten for at least another 3 years. I guess NY does not offer a lot higher disposable income right now, but on a long term there is many more opportunities there. At least I feel my lifestyle will not be lowered dramatically.

Old 08-05-2007, 07:22 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,946,770 times
You do NOT need a car in NYC, so you can do without that expense. Nobody I know spends that much for lunch every day. And I work in midtown Manhattan. These two posters are living in some fantasy world where people go out to dinner every night and live the high life. That is not reality.

Old 08-05-2007, 09:31 PM

The place of work is somewhere in Congers NY, is it in Manhattan ? What would be my rent there ?

Old 08-05-2007, 10:09 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,137,919 times
check google maps. Congers is a long way from Manhattan.

Old 08-05-2007, 10:49 PM

2,806 posts, read 16,371,230 times
Yeah thats up in Rockland county. Not even close to Manhattan. How do you plan on commuting there from Manhattan on a regular basis? Seems like a fairly difficult task to me.

Old 08-06-2007, 12:49 AM

2,115 posts, read 5,421,171 times
If you're going to be working in Congers, NY, then my suggestion would be to probably look at properties in Rockland County, NY (the county where I'm pretty sure Congers is located). Your money will go a lot further in Rockland, you'll be able to afford a decent amount of space, and you can always ride a train (NJ Transit from Rockland County or Metro-North in Westchester County if you choose to drive to Westchester and then park n ride at a station) to get to Manhattan when you need your city fix. If you insist on living in the city, be prepared for a struggle. You'll have a hard time finding a crime-free, spacious apartment in New York City (any of the 5 boro's) for a decent price, where you can reverse-commute it all the way to Congers and not go insane. I'd consider living in NYC (the city) only if your job is in NYC somewhere. If it's in Congers, forget about it and start looking in Rockland County, NY (relatively affordable although it's still in the fringes of the NYC metropolitan area), Bergen County, NJ (expensive) or Westchester County, NY (pretty expensive for a decent place).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirill View Post
Hi to all NYC gurus.

Car Insurance 400
Cell Phone 90
Entertainment 500
Day Care (estimate) 800
Rent 1200

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City