Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 07:13 PM

38 posts, read 252,396 times

Advertisements

Whos with me!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2012, 08:19 PM

Heres my two cents for bringing this up. #1, Traffic cops have no protection AT ALL!!! ZERO, NADA! Understand. They litterally put themself on the line of fire everyday! #2, people carry guns without permits everyday!!!! So Traffic cops could be giving a citation to one of these dudes and BANG! Game over. All for a 35 dollar ticket. #3, People tend to get fresh with Traffic cops just because with dont carry a GUN! I guarantee you if we had guns, it would be a different story. #4, The police department should provide Traffic cops with bullet proof vest, this should of been done from the gecko! What are they waiting for, someone to get SHOT!!! So they can have a reason to improve something that should be common sense. (F**kin ridiculouse) #5, whats with the whole civilian crap, but yet at level 4 you are considered a special patrolman!!! Correct me if im wrong but isnt that above civilian.?!! And why is school safety considered "special patrolman", but when i look on the NYPD WEBSITE CAREER SECTION, They are under the civilian section, so why are they special patrolman? Im not trying to bust nobody, but I have to ask, because it doesnt make sense! Is like the nypd said traffic can go f**k themself!!! But then why did the Nypd want the "Brownies" as they were called back in the days? Were they tired of getting tickets for illegaly using their plaques!? Is that the only reason they recruited the "Brownies" as most NYPD personnels would called them. Again, im not trying to put anybody on blast, but I keep it real. I respect School safety and the nypd, but they need to get their sh*t strai"ghting out! As far as the taser guns. Traffic cops would need to be trained to use them ofcourse. They would spend 3 months in the academy instead of 2. All traffic levels should carry a taser gun, and bullet proof vest. This is how it should of been since 2009. I rather have a taser gun then a "7 years of prison for assaulting a Traffic cop" crap! I thought that the traffic cop who got beat up to a bloody pulp in the bronx would make an impact on congress to make a few changes, but it didnt do much. It seem congress wants a couple of traffic cops shot before they decide to give us REAL PROTECTION!!! After all that is the american way! Right?... let me know what you think?....P.S ALL TRAFFIC ENFORCEMENT AGENTS WELCOME! dont be afraid to put your two cents in, negative or positive, I want to hear your voice! SPEAK UP!...

Old 01-16-2012, 11:09 PM

387 posts, read 680,330 times
I'm with you only if I wind up getting the traffic cop job.

Old 01-17-2012, 07:26 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,603,290 times
OK, yeah, I'm voting with you, too. (I have this crazy notion that if you weren't committing a violation in the first place, you'd never have anything to worry about! And along those lines, I don't see a problem with creating astronomical fees for things like parking violations).

Old 01-17-2012, 07:47 AM

19,049 posts, read 13,964,273 times
Anyone else recognize the tone of this post?

Old 01-17-2012, 07:52 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,377,113 times
If there is evidence they need it, then yes. There is no evidence to support it other than perception. We do not hear about any violent attacks on traffic agents other than, at most, arguments or shouting matches. Adding more dangerous weapons to NYC never solves anything and encourages the police state we are now living under. Soon the DMV, Librarians and janitors will all have tasers to control us all.

Old 01-17-2012, 09:00 PM

Thank you guys on the feedback and keep em coming! Again, im talking from my point of view as a future NYPD Traffic cop. The way i see it is like this. Don't park illegaly and you wont get a ticket. Everybody ALWAYS has a f**king excuse for parking illegaly. The most common one is "WHY ARE YOU ALLOW TO PARK YOUR CAR ON A NO STANDING ZONE?" This is what all citizens use as an excuse when traffic cops give them a ticket. The better question would be, WHY DID YOU? You see, people think because a Traffic cop did it, WHY CANT I? Well lets see. 1, your not driving a NYPD rmp. 2, You are not an employee of the new york police department. 3, You are not on duty patrolling the streets of NY, while in uniform. 4, Your not giving tickets/towing cars/directing traffic/inspecting contruction sites/helping people on the highway, or working traffic intelligence. People like "Jimmy justice" who thinks he knows everything about traffic and seems to only TARGET TRAFFIC. He is one of the reason people hate traffic cops. In all his videos, he tries to belittle every Traffic/sanitation cop by talking like a D*!K. He seems to capture all the so "CALLED" Violations, but my question is where are all the videos of all the "GOOD TRAFFIC COPS?". It seems like nobody captures that because it might actually make people think, FOR THE FIRST TIME! . They wont just agree with the person next to them shouting traffic sucks! Or like most "TROLLS" who dont know the difference between an apple and an orange. Im not saying all traffic cops are little angels, but most are good cops. If we lived in a perfect planet we wouldnt have lasted this long in life, so take it for what it is. Furthermore, police officers should show some courtesy to traffic cops because they (NYPD) wanted the brownies to join their team, but now it seems like traffic is more of a muppet, then a team member. Afterall, what does "CPR" stands for? I thought it was " courtesy, professionalism and respect, but maybe im wrong!...what you think?!

Old 01-18-2012, 06:37 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,078,660 times
What is the cost of maintaing the NYC Traffic cops?

Old 01-18-2012, 06:59 AM

THE COST? dont understand your question. Are you asking how much they make? Or what is there purpose? Traffic cops main purpose is to keep traffic flow fluent at all times. They do this by enforcing the traffic laws and citing anyone who breaks those laws. Traffic cops are also an extra eye and ears for police officers. They can also make warantless arrest. At level 4 Traffic cops are considered "special patrolman". Theres more to traffic cops than people think. Most people hate them, but only because they give tickets and give no breaks. Personally, I would do the same because the minute you give one person a break. Everybody wants a break! and that sh*t ain't flying. The job is hard enough as it is, so yeah. Hope this helps, cheers!

Old 01-18-2012, 07:23 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,377,113 times
The comments you posted on here, and your manner of speaking indicates we need to have better standards for meter maids, but I guess the salaries don't support better quality.

And my main issue is not traffic enforcement and the necessary citations, it is the city's attitude of using this department as a revenue generator, which it was never meant to be. The city's goal is for each meter maid to generate enough revenue to cover their costs...what exactly does this have to do with traffic enforcement? NOTHING. So they, like salesmen, must lie/cheat/steal/defraud in order to meet their revenue targets which have nothing to do with traffic, destroy quality of life for residents, and ultimately create a hostile environment for themselves.

I am all for traffic enforcement and rules/regulations, and citing those who commit infractions. What am I not for is designating an arbitrary quota based on an arbitrary revenue goal the city decides is best, penalizing agents who don't meet those goals, and ultimately creating a bad system for residents and agents. The goal should not be extorting residents to feed the pig and make it fatter...it should be traffic enforcement remember? Same problem with the NYPD...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City