Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 11:28 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,382,704 times

Advertisements

If you can afford a decent place in Park Slope, why not look to a closer-in NJ, Westchester, or LI suburb? You should be able to find an area with good schools, etc., that's a bit closer than Pennsylvania in terms of visiting the city. In Westchester, if you want someplace "artsy," you might consider Hastings-on-Hudson. You may even consider less trendy areas in the city, such as Bayside, Queens, or Riverdale, the Bronx, as both areas have decent schools, yet are not too removed from attractions in the city. I don't think it's an all-or-nothing proposition, Park Slope or Pennsylvania, as there is a middle ground, where you can find decent schools, especially at the middle and high school levels (since that can be a challenge in NYC), unless you were to use a private school in Park Slope.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2012, 05:46 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,048,523 times
You are asking this question of people who have MADE the choice. Most of us live here, in New York City.
On a Pennsylvania forum you will get different answers.

I came from Pennsylvania and it has one overarching thing in its favor: it's CHEAP. But then West Virginia or Mississippi are probably even cheaper. All irrelevant.

But if your JOB is in New York, the commute to Pennsy is an unbelievable nightmare...I'd choose waterboarding instead.

Old 01-18-2012, 05:07 PM

669 posts, read 1,273,109 times
Sharing a one bed room with a teenager would be hard and the fact that the place in PA is bigger is a huge plus for the suburban place, but I hate the suburbs so I'd still take Park Slope thats actually one of the place I wanna move to when I have a family.

Old 01-18-2012, 06:36 PM

8 posts, read 13,802 times
which suburb in PA? i just turned 20 and moved to nyc im in queens and as someone who just spent my entire teenage years growing up in PA suburbs right outside of philly, take my advice strongly and DONT do that to your teen. suburbs are really not all there cracked up to be my town was voted the 15th nicest place to live in the country and there were tons of 14 and 15 year old heroin addicts living in 700,000 dollar homes. the boredmn and lack of culture in the suburbs are nothing but trouble when your a teen there so dont do it!

Old 01-18-2012, 06:52 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,910,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yodel View Post
Why not a 2-bedroom elsewhere in the city? If it had to be either Park Slope or PA suburbs, I'd choose Park Slope. I don't like the suburbs.
Park Slope is easily one of my favorite nabes in the whole city, but I personally love PA, especially Scranton and Lehigh Valley.

Old 01-18-2012, 07:47 PM

2,628 posts, read 4,608,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post
Park Slope is easily one of my favorite nabes in the whole city, but I personally love PA, especially Scranton and Lehigh Valley.
Lehigh Valley is one of the areas I am considering moving to, I have friends who moved there from Queens in 2010 and love it.

I still say look outside of Park Slope in other parts of Brooklyn or even Queens and get a 2 BR. No teenager will want to share a 1BR with their parent. There are plenty of places that are park accessible that don't cost an arm and a leg. And considering the trains and buses give you access to anywhere, it's more important to find something you will both be happy with in the long run.

Old 01-19-2012, 05:14 AM

2,223 posts, read 5,351,090 times
Find another NYC neighborhood. You don't even have to leave Brooklyn. As for quality schools, start getting your tween prepped for the specialized high schools exam or for other public high schools with high admissions requirements. I have known a few ppl who moved to PA and most returned to NYC. I'm wondering why you think that Park Slope is your only option. There are nice neighborhoods all over. Go explore.

Last edited by queensgrl; 01-19-2012 at 05:24 AM..

Old 03-15-2015, 01:35 PM

207 posts, read 247,000 times
i live in new england ct to be exact i live 2 hours from nyc 2 hours from boston i have family that lives in chester county pa in exton. they live about an hour from philly an hour or so from lancaster, 45 minutes to king of prussia exton is one of the bigger cities.

i love pa more than i love ct i was born and raised in ct but i have always had a love of other states and pa is one of them there is so much to do and see but it also has its drawbacks. some parts of pa its the middle of nowhere you are very far from a big city it gets quiet at night.

but on the other hand pa has so much to see its affordable to live and you get more apartment space for your money

with nyc rent can be sky high depending on where you live, the cheeper apartments have smaller spaces and the more expensive ones have larger spaces but keep in mind nyc also has smaller spaces that are sky high in price and it has to do with location.

yes nyc has everything great but there are also drawbacks i love to visit the city i have family that lives in Manhattan its great to spend a few days or even a day in the city but after a while i feel like id rather be home.

i grew up in a small city on the outskirts of town in a quiet neighborhood and i loved it

what about moving very close to a bigger city in pa where there is more to do so you have both the city life and the quite life at the same time

Old 03-16-2015, 01:07 AM

401 posts, read 551,487 times
Lived in PA for about 5 years. Nah, I would rather be near my routes. I would go live in Brooklyn personally. Assuming I'm single and still in my early 20s.

Old 03-16-2015, 01:25 PM

7,903 posts, read 7,873,496 times
I wouldn't move to park slope. It's not even hot. Now had ya said downtown Brooklyn in one of the new towers Id consider it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City