Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 10:40 PM

1,775 posts, read 3,774,691 times

Advertisements

Born and raised in Queens - moved out to Long Island 2 years ago when I got married. I dont miss Queens, it was nice to be closer to the city but now that my job is on the Island - I have no reason to really go into Manhattan anymore unless I am going to a museum, a Broadway show or some social event with friends.

I dont really miss Queens one bit - the block my parents live on is very congested and I hated fighting with neighbors over the very few parking spots available on the street. I definitely dont miss the noisy streets in summer nights. Where I am its much more quiet and the streets have plenty of parking year round. I wish my parents had moved out of Queens when I was in high school - I think my opportunities wouldve been a lot better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2012, 10:01 AM

2,730 posts, read 6,102,341 times
It is a hard city to leave. I think you have to be really ready. For us, the more time we started spending outside of the city the less we liked living in it. Most of our interests were also outside of it. When we spent every weekend (or most of them) driving away - in hideous traffic - to pursue our interests we had to ask what we were clinging to. It was great when we wanted to eat out and go out all the time. But we were getting tired of it, tired of the crowds, tired of the traffic. There have been a lot of times over the years when crime went up and the crowds seemed to swell. We always rode that out but this time we just rode it elsewhere!

If you have any doubts stay where you are. But I was really ready to go and haven't regretted it for a second.

Old 01-25-2012, 12:42 PM

2,628 posts, read 4,599,414 times
Thanks for all of the replies.

Doubts, there really aren't any anymore. I rarely venture into Manhattan unless it's a get together of some sort. I live and work in Brooklyn, so it's not much of an issue. However I realized something strange.

Before a few months ago, I was living in Astoria and commuting to Williamsburg/Greenpoint via the N-7-G route. I was perfectly happy in the neighborhood and the 30 min door to door commute.

Now I live in Bensonhurst. I have a few ways to get to work, the fastest being N-L and getting off Bedford and walking a ways. This route has me absolutely miserable for reasons I don't care to get into. It's at the point I have been taking the bus to the F then G in order to just avoid it.

When I started to get really frustrated, it was the attitude of people, the crowding which seems to get worse every year, the long commutes, and the cost of living. Even on Long Island my commute was only 30 mins. It now takes me an hour and 15.

I need to figure out if my frustration is truly with the city or just my commute. However moving near my job is not an option, I would poke my eyeballs out first.

Old 01-25-2012, 12:55 PM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,673,658 times
i left NYC one whole year ago next week(see I even remember the date). and i hate it here.. i want to come back . i hope to come back..i will die if i can't come back.. i'm miserable here.

Old 01-25-2012, 01:43 PM

2,170 posts, read 3,296,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Just goes to show...you can leave NYC, but NYC doesn't leave you. Why leave if you are living here vicariously through TV, internet, and dreams?
Sometimes people just like watching a car wreck. Ever see the ratings for Jersey Shore?

Old 01-25-2012, 06:16 PM

2,730 posts, read 6,102,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missjanna74 View Post
Thanks for all of the replies.

Doubts, there really aren't any anymore. I rarely venture into Manhattan unless it's a get together of some sort. I live and work in Brooklyn, so it's not much of an issue. However I realized something strange.

Before a few months ago, I was living in Astoria and commuting to Williamsburg/Greenpoint via the N-7-G route. I was perfectly happy in the neighborhood and the 30 min door to door commute.

Now I live in Bensonhurst. I have a few ways to get to work, the fastest being N-L and getting off Bedford and walking a ways. This route has me absolutely miserable for reasons I don't care to get into. It's at the point I have been taking the bus to the F then G in order to just avoid it.

When I started to get really frustrated, it was the attitude of people, the crowding which seems to get worse every year, the long commutes, and the cost of living. Even on Long Island my commute was only 30 mins. It now takes me an hour and 15.

I need to figure out if my frustration is truly with the city or just my commute. However moving near my job is not an option, I would poke my eyeballs out first.
What made you move to Bensonhurst? I don't know why commuting is so bad from that area - but it is. I used to go from Bay Ridge to Wall Street and I hated every second of it. It should have been an easy commute but it rarely was.

Old 01-26-2012, 09:50 PM

1,516 posts, read 1,808,637 times
left for college, came back, felt alive again

Old 01-27-2012, 06:47 AM

3 posts, read 9,996 times
I left 20 years ago for Florida. Although I love FL in the winter especially while NY is getting hit with a blizzard, I have always wanted to come back home. We are in seriously contimplating moving back to NY. Missing all the wonderful things NY has to offer.

Old 01-27-2012, 08:01 AM

18 posts, read 72,482 times
I miss NYC too. I left Brooklyn for Durham, NC almost five years ago. I am single mom with a 11-year old daughter. Sold my apt, and bought a house and liked living here for a little bit. But no matter how much I liked it here I have ALWAYS missed some aspect of NYC. I haven't made any deep friendships like the ones I have back home, and in two years when my daughter starts high school, we are moving back. Honestly, we have too much room in our house, I can't wait to live in an apt again, lol! Already putting the wheels in motion and although I hate for to time fly by, I am looking forward to that day when I step foot back into the city permanently!

Old 01-27-2012, 08:08 AM

1,912 posts, read 3,215,543 times
Hay! I compare reading threads about NYC exactly like watching a train wreck. No offence to NYorkers that are happy there, I'm sure you wouldn't want to be shoveling horse manure in the Country I feel qualified to respond to this thread and it doesn't mean I YEARN to be back in NYC. In NYC I took riding lessons at Claremont, indoors probably 10 horses going around in circles in a small indoor ring...I ALWAYS DREAMED of a home in the Country...growing up in an apt in NYC. I could never be a 'city girl' again. I've embraced the rural lifestyle and it's everything and so much more than I ever dreamed it would be. So, to answer OP's question...I left and I am happy. Very happy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City