Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 08:43 AM

20 posts, read 43,850 times

Advertisements

yeah - I'm originally from the Pacific NW - we didn't have real suburbia like here, at least not where I grew up (or I just didn't know about them, they're probably there). I had NO idea what I was getting myself into! It's too bad that it has to be that way - a hub of awesome, vibrant activity (that is becoming prohibitively expensive, or very difficult to live in) surrounded by miles upon miles of boring residential areas with nothing going on. I kept hoping we could make it work, but it's just not worth the trouble. Not that there aren't plenty of great people in the burbs. It's just not for me. :\
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2012, 10:57 AM

19,048 posts, read 13,964,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
I've only heard good things about Colorado.
What's the vibe there? Plenty of young folks?
Depends on the area. Boulder and Ft. Collins are similar to Williamsburg but with more REAL people. The outdoors in Colorado is just amazing. The great thing about Colorado is that it's serious mountain west, but still has a few major cities unlike states such as Idaho, Wyoming and Montana.

Old 04-27-2012, 12:51 PM

900 posts, read 2,372,700 times
Yes.

I'm originally from the mid-west and wanted to move to NYC ever since visiting at age 12. Once I turned 18 I was going to join the Army with a couple of friends but decided to take a trip to NYC before Uncle Sam told me where he wanted me to go. I visited again, had a good time and that was it I was making it my goal to go back to live. Sorry Uncle Sam.

I lived here for a few years and my most difficult time was finding places to live. I had a little hiccup and moved back to the mid-west, was not fun at all. I stayed a few years always thinking from time to time "I wonder what's going on in New York?" or "I wish I was in New York.". I always missed the city.

So I've been back for the last 10 years and I can honestly say I fit in well here and consider myself a New Yorker, ********* people born here that say I'm not.

Eventually I'll move to a warmer climate like the retired snowbirds who moved to Florida from the NYC, but I think whenever I'm not here I'll wonder what's going on in New York and can't wait to get back.

Old 04-27-2012, 03:19 PM

669 posts, read 1,273,913 times
Moved to Florida for 3 years loved it for like thee first 4 months then missed NY BADLY you really appreciate this place when you leave, now I never wanna live anywhere else but here.

Old 04-27-2012, 03:33 PM

458 posts, read 616,304 times
I'd assume most people who visit an NYC forum are people who want to be in NYC. If you're looking for people who moved away, you'd have to go find them elsewhere

Old 04-27-2012, 05:49 PM

1 posts, read 2,438 times
I moved to southern NJ in January from Queens and I am SO happy to be out of that HELL!

Old 04-27-2012, 09:15 PM

91 posts, read 312,013 times
I also think it depends on what stage in life you are at. Having been born and raised here, I loved being in NYC during my 20's and single. Now that I have a family, priorities change and the negatives are fast outweighing the positives.

As a result, my husband and I are considering leaving within the next year. Once the children are grown... who knows? Perhaps we will come back or just move on to another big city. The options are endless.

But everyone is right, their is no place like NYC.

Old 04-30-2012, 08:15 AM

2,628 posts, read 4,610,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester2138 View Post
I'd assume most people who visit an NYC forum are people who want to be in NYC. If you're looking for people who moved away, you'd have to go find them elsewhere
Not really.

There's plenty of people who moved from here who still check the forums for NYC. It's kind of like you can leave it, but you can't truly escape. I should know. I had every intention of leaving this year, but a great job opportunity has dragged me back.

Old 05-02-2012, 12:17 PM

284 posts, read 516,716 times
If you enjoy beautiful places such as Colorado or parts of Florida you will not enjoy New York. It is a dirty filthy expensive dump. Manhattan has its nice parts and its charm, however Im afraid that is all. If you cant afford to live in Manhattan then don't bother.

I was born and raised in northern Queens. I am moving to Denver at the end of the month and I cannot wait to get out of here!

Last edited by jacoby23; 05-02-2012 at 12:18 PM.. Reason: check

Old 05-02-2012, 01:16 PM

1,193 posts, read 2,390,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacoby23 View Post
If you enjoy beautiful places such as Colorado or parts of Florida you will not enjoy New York. It is a dirty filthy expensive dump. Manhattan has its nice parts and its charm, however Im afraid that is all. If you cant afford to live in Manhattan then don't bother.

I was born and raised in northern Queens. I am moving to Denver at the end of the month and I cannot wait to get out of here!
To each his own. I moved from Florida to NYC when I was 19 and felt like I was home for the first time in my life. NYC in your 20s is FANTASTIC.

But after a decade, with increasing crime and quality of life issues, I was fed up. I moved progressively farther west, and now live in Pa. Ironically, I now have a job in NYC again, and commute by bus back into the city every day. I could not live here again. I have gotten spoiled with a spacious house, our 6-plus acres of woods, and kayaking on our creek. It's awesome to wake up to complete serenity every morning.

It also is great not to have to lock your doors, and know there's a parking space at the end of a long day.

But everyone has different priorities and values different things. That's what keeps NY as vibrant as it is - the constant influx of new people ready to conquer the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City