U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 10:38 PM

7 posts, read 60,765 times

Advertisements

I am considering moving from UWS Manhattan to Woodside Queens, 30th Ave and 49th Street. I know William C Bryant high school is nearby and the Woodside Houses project. I remember hearing about a major drug bust there. Is the area safe? The apartment is one avenue away from the project. I hear horror stories of drugs, theft and crime. 30th Ave seems nice and residential but I do not know Queens at all. Have young son and will need to go to Manhattan at night. Is the R train safe at 46th street? I know it only runs til 11pm. Safety is a major issue. Should I avoid this apartment? A 1 bedroom for $1200 seems very reasonable. Please reply if you know the area. Thank you
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2012, 12:12 AM

1 posts, read 6,437 times
Default Take it. Trust me. Live in woodside pj and never any problems. Just stay to your self and anyone ask u dont got it

Take it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayek View Post
I am considering moving from UWS Manhattan to Woodside Queens, 30th Ave and 49th Street. I know William C Bryant high school is nearby and the Woodside Houses project. I remember hearing about a major drug bust there. Is the area safe? The apartment is one avenue away from the project. I hear horror stories of drugs, theft and crime. 30th Ave seems nice and residential but I do not know Queens at all. Have young son and will need to go to Manhattan at night. Is the R train safe at 46th street? I know it only runs til 11pm. Safety is a major issue. Should I avoid this apartment? A 1 bedroom for $1200 seems very reasonable. Please reply if you know the area. Thank you

Old 02-03-2012, 12:40 AM

920 posts, read 2,125,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayek View Post
Don't know much about the area, but to me anything near the project
is a concern, anything near a high school or junior high school is also
a concern. Like others have mentioned many times in the past. Why
don't you go there at different times and walk around to see if you are
comfortable with the area or not yourself?

Old 02-03-2012, 01:17 AM

4,841 posts, read 9,199,225 times
Someone else posted a similar thread a few weeks ago. Anyway, Woodside is an okay neighborhood. Not the best, but far from the worst.

Old 02-12-2012, 08:52 AM

2 posts, read 7,659 times
Might be a little late on this, but I live directly across from the Woodside Houses (31st Avenue between 49th and 50th) and the area isn't bad at all. I'm a mid 20s professional female, I work in Manhattan and often don't get home until later in the evening or night, always take the train home to 46th St. and have never felt unsafe. Sometimes I stop off at Trade Fair (on Broadway directly across from the Woodside Houses on the other side) and I cut through there with my groceries and have never felt unsafe. William C Bryant HS seems to be okay, I always see the kids walking to school when I'm on my way to work, never seems to be anything bad happening there either. I love the surrounding neighborhood, I generally hang out more towards Astoria closer to Steinway, but occasionally I will head over by that CVS or towards Northern Blvd and the area is fine. The whole neighborhood near 30th Ave, 31st Ave and Broadway in the 40s is very well maintained and overall safe in my experience.

Old 02-12-2012, 11:53 AM

750 posts, read 2,321,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by likespinningplates View Post
Might be a little late on this, but I live directly across from the Woodside Houses (31st Avenue between 49th and 50th) and the area isn't bad at all. I'm a mid 20s professional female, I work in Manhattan and often don't get home until later in the evening or night, always take the train home to 46th St. and have never felt unsafe. Sometimes I stop off at Trade Fair (on Broadway directly across from the Woodside Houses on the other side) and I cut through there with my groceries and have never felt unsafe. William C Bryant HS seems to be okay, I always see the kids walking to school when I'm on my way to work, never seems to be anything bad happening there either. I love the surrounding neighborhood, I generally hang out more towards Astoria closer to Steinway, but occasionally I will head over by that CVS or towards Northern Blvd and the area is fine. The whole neighborhood near 30th Ave, 31st Ave and Broadway in the 40s is very well maintained and overall safe in my experience.
Yes, I concur with the above. The 46th Street R / M station is probably one of the safest stations in one of the calmest neighborhoods in NYC. You can walk down 46th Street towards 30th ave anytime of the day and it will be very safe. It's very residential and that street is pretty busy with traffic at all times of the day - that is my stop so I know what I'm talking about.

If you have to live beside the projects, of all projects in NYC, Woodside Houses is probably the best to live beside. I'm not saying nothing happens there, but it's pretty tame compared to other projects and if you avoid walking directly through it at night, you should have no problems.

Above all else, 46th Street and the area of your apartment is heavily Italian, and no one messes with Italians in that area of Astoria. There are pretty much never any problems in the neighborhood at all - I actually feel safer here than in the burbs, it's that quiet.

If that isn't enough, there are always cops patrolling the area (they don't really need to in my opinion, hah) as the 114th Precinct is minutes away on Astoria blvd.

At night, just walk down 46th, then go up 30th ave to 49th and you won't have any problems at all.

Old 02-12-2012, 07:20 PM

400 posts, read 930,130 times
Broadway between steinway and 46th street is the trendy part of Astoria/Woodside

Old 02-12-2012, 11:40 PM

295 posts, read 519,187 times
bolt the doors lock the windows and get a glock

Old 02-21-2012, 03:25 PM

880 posts, read 1,905,272 times
You are just on the edge on the safe side. Have you tried finding anything more west of that?
I live around that area and I would say that anywhere past Bryant High School on the Northern Blvd. side isn't so safe. Otherwise, the 46th street station area is pretty nice and safe. It's quiet (not too quite) and nice at all times.

Old 02-21-2012, 03:30 PM

2,895 posts, read 5,577,067 times
yes somebody posted something VERY similar like a week ago. So similar that I think it's the same OP.
anyway, yes the area is not bad. I've been around there many times, including late night, and never had a problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City