Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2012, 10:02 AM

7 posts, read 63,685 times

Advertisements

I am considering moving from UWS Manhattan to Woodside Queens, 30th Ave and 49th Street. I know William C Bryant high school is nearby and the Woodside Houses project. I remember hearing about a major drug bust there. Is the area safe? The apartment is one avenue away from the project. I hear horror stories of drugs, theft and crime. 30th Ave seems nice and residential but I do not know Queens at all. Have young son and will need to go to Manhattan at night. Is the R train safe at 46th street? I know it only runs til 11pm. Safety is a major issue. Should I avoid this apartment? A 1 bedroom for $1200 seems very reasonable. Please reply if you know the area. Thank you [LEFT]
[/LEFT]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2012, 11:36 AM

34,043 posts, read 47,260,557 times
Surrounding area is pretty safe.
Woodside Houses is actually one of the safest NYCHA in the city.

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 01-19-2012, 12:05 PM

66 posts, read 181,068 times
I used to live on 48th & Broadway. That area is very safe. I've even walked through the projects several times at night with no problems.

Old 01-19-2012, 02:32 PM

Default Train seems far

The train is far at 46th and Broadway. Does the E stop there after 11pm or elsewhere? It is very different from my UWS neighborhood. I don't mean to seem snooty, buy I would be scared walking at night near the projects. I noticed police at the high school so there must me some incidents. The place is in a row house 1st floor and is small. Is $1200 good at 30th and 49th or should I look closer to the train? 30th Ave seems nice with a couple Irish pubs and a post office. The trade fair stays open all night-is that safe-I like avoiding the crowd. Any info much appreciated and thanks for the previous replies.

Old 01-19-2012, 03:31 PM

1,809 posts, read 7,060,729 times
Bryant H.S was one of several high schools that was supposed to be shut down last year, it remained open for now at least.
Crime wise you will be living on the border of 2 different police precincts(108 and 114) which isn't
too bad.

While the neighborhood may be relatively safe I wouldn't advise walking through the Woodside houses at night though.

Old 01-19-2012, 05:58 PM

400 posts, read 983,373 times
Drug Raid in Queens
By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

Prosecutors have charged 41 people, including several members of the Crips street gang, with selling crack and other crimes at a Queens housing project.

The Queens district attorney, Richard A. Brown, and Police Commissioner Raymond W. Kelly announced the charges against the suspects, mostly men in their late teens or early 20s, on Friday.

During a six-month investigation, undercover officers made 150 purchases of crack, powder cocaine, heroin and marijuana at the Woodside Houses, the authorities said. The complex has 20 buildings with more than 3,400 residents.

Mr. Kelly said the operation “nipped in the bud the emergence of the drug dealers who were peppered throughout the Woodside development.”

Raids resulted in seizures of drugs, cash, guns, bulletproof vests and handcuffs, the authorities said.

It happened two years ago. There due for another raid sometime soon, probably this summer.

Pcp gangs in Manhattan on 115th street making A MILLION DOLLARS A YEAR.

Insert any housing project in New York into google with drug/cocaine/crack in the same search eg. Woodside Houses cocaine and some type of major drug bust/raid will turn up.

Old 01-19-2012, 06:04 PM

Default N train in Astoria connect to Q18 bus?

If I take the N train to 30th (Grand Ave) is the Q18 bus stop right there? The Q18 is close to the apartment I was considering and was thinking at night this may be safer. The walk from 46 broadway to 49th and 30th Ave seems long and dark at night. Also do you pay another fare? I think a transfer is only good bus to subway.

Old 01-19-2012, 06:34 PM

34,043 posts, read 47,260,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlushingRepresenter View Post
Drug Raid in Queens
By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

Prosecutors have charged 41 people, including several members of the Crips street gang, with selling crack and other crimes at a Queens housing project.

The Queens district attorney, Richard A. Brown, and Police Commissioner Raymond W. Kelly announced the charges against the suspects, mostly men in their late teens or early 20s, on Friday.

During a six-month investigation, undercover officers made 150 purchases of crack, powder cocaine, heroin and marijuana at the Woodside Houses, the authorities said. The complex has 20 buildings with more than 3,400 residents.

Mr. Kelly said the operation “nipped in the bud the emergence of the drug dealers who were peppered throughout the Woodside development.”

Raids resulted in seizures of drugs, cash, guns, bulletproof vests and handcuffs, the authorities said.

It happened two years ago. There due for another raid sometime soon, probably this summer.

Pcp gangs in Manhattan on 115th street making A MILLION DOLLARS A YEAR.

Insert any housing project in New York into google with drug/cocaine/crack in the same search eg. Woodside Houses cocaine and some type of major drug bust/raid will turn up.
The raid definitely happened, but it is still of of the safest NYCHA in the city. and you will not find some type of major drug bust/raid if you Google it with any housing project. You didn't even believe that when you typed it.

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 01-19-2012, 06:45 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,127,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayek View Post
If I take the N train to 30th (Grand Ave) is the Q18 bus stop right there? The Q18 is close to the apartment I was considering and was thinking at night this may be safer. The walk from 46 broadway to 49th and 30th Ave seems long and dark at night. Also do you pay another fare? I think a transfer is only good bus to subway.
You don't pay another fare. The transfer is good bus-subway or subway-bus (or you can get an Unlimited MetroCard if you want, but for the Pay-Per-Ride MetroCards, the free transfer works both ways)

And the Q18 doesn't run too frequently at night, so if you're traveling late at night, you might want to check the schedule and time yourself for a specific bus: http://www.mta.info/busco/schedules/q018cur.pdf

If it looks like you'll miss your bus (or have already missed it), you can try going to the Astoria Blvd stop and waiting for the M60 or Q19, which combined run more frequently than the Q18 (though I think they stop at 2 seperate stops by the same intersection), and then walk home from Astoria Blvd. It'll take longer, but if you want to avoid passing through an area where you feel uncomfortable, it doesn't seem like you have much of a choice.

Old 01-19-2012, 07:05 PM

Thanks for the replies. I don't want to be paranoid but safe. I hear there are many burglaries in the area, is an Avenue away from the projects a bad spot to even consider? Private houses seem more susceptible to break ins but maybe not?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City