Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2012, 12:41 PM

4,073 posts, read 8,976,235 times

Advertisements

My father-in-law is turning 80 and I'm looking to bring him into Brooklyn (which is where he grew up) for a day to see some old haunts. He moved to NJ almost 50 years ago and hasn't been back to Brooklyn for many years. I'm looking for some advice on places to see/eat and if there might also be any good tours that might fit for part of the day. Probably will wait until Spring for warmer weather.

I'm pretty comfortable with Manhattan, but I've only been to Brooklyn a couple times. Tips on getting around or any safety issues for any neighborhoods would be very helpful. He's originally from Bay Ridge (Norwegian ancestory) so a chunk of his interest will be centered there.

One tour that I found recommedned is a Slice of Brooklyn (Brooklyn Sightseeing Tours - A Slice of Brooklyn Bus Tours | NYC Tour of BK, NY (New York City)); any experience with that? Any others? He's in decent shape and can handle a reasonable amount of walking, but I don't want to overdo it either.

Thanks in advance for any guidance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2012, 12:57 PM

1,933 posts, read 3,750,236 times
What type of food does he like or are you trying to do the Norweigian thing?

The reason I ask because there are some great restaurants in Bayridge. I frequented:

Colandrea New Corner Restaurant - Brooklyn, NY

Taj Mahal Indian Restaurant: Home (I highly doubt he would do Indian but just a suggestion)

And another one I can't think of the name off the top of my head.

There are plenty of Norwegian Stores in Bayridge and I always found them interesting. There is a soda fountain shop closer to 86th Street and 5th I believe that was around the time your father in law would have been a child. It is very popular and it is cash only. If you want nostaglia and a possibilty he may have had a milkshake from there take him there for lunch. Again can't remember the name off the top of my head but a great place that seems to have resist time.

If you are looking for a nice steak house aside from Peter Lugers and outside of Bayridge area try:

DeStefano's Steakhouse

I went there for my birthday and it was delicious!

There is also a steak house in Bayridge again I can't think of the name off the top of my head but if I recall it I will post it.

As for safety issues, you are relatively safe in Bayridge. Just remember to check where you park to avoid a ticket. I always loved walking to Owl Head Park and looking at all the houses.

Happy 80th Birthday to your FIL!

Old 01-20-2012, 01:07 PM

Thanks! Your instinct about Indian food is spot on. Not really looking for any particular type of food, but the nostalgia factor would be great -- that soda fountain shop sounds like a great spot that he might really enjoy.

Old 01-20-2012, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfFull View Post
Thanks! Your instinct about Indian food is spot on. Not really looking for any particular type of food, but the nostalgia factor would be great -- that soda fountain shop sounds like a great spot that he might really enjoy.
OMG Halffull! I did not realize it closed!

Lost City: Hinsch's, Classic Bay Ridge Soda Fountain, Closes

I think he would have loved it!

Old 01-20-2012, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOriginalMrsX View Post
OMG Halffull! I did not realize it closed!

Lost City: Hinsch's, Classic Bay Ridge Soda Fountain, Closes

I think he would have loved it!
Wow, I just found it on Google and was going to ask if it was the same place. One comment says it is recently re-opened...

Old 01-20-2012, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Wow, I just found it on Google and was going to ask if it was the same place. One comment says it is recently re-opened...
Who knows now?

Trust me there are plenty of places on 4th Avenue that you can get a good meal from and tons of little pubs that I am sure your FIL will love.

Good luck and all the best!

Old 01-20-2012, 01:19 PM

6,476 posts, read 7,320,658 times
The steak house is Embers. Good steak but the seating is a little claustrophobic. It's a shame Leske's Norwegian Bakery closed; that would have been a treat. A walk down 86th Street from Ft. Hamilton Parkway to Third Avenue might bring back some memories...maybe a brew at Sullivan's Pub or another bar that's been around a while. I'd make a point of getting as close to the Verrazano Bridge as possible. They were still building it when your father-in-law left, I think.

Old 01-20-2012, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavaturaccioli View Post
The steak house is Embers. Good steak but the seating is a little claustrophobic. It's a shame Leske's Norwegian Bakery closed; that would have been a treat. A walk down 86th Street from Ft. Hamilton Parkway to Third Avenue might bring back some memories...maybe a brew at Sullivan's Pub or another bar that's been around a while. I'd make a point of getting as close to the Verrazano Bridge as possible. They were still building it when your father-in-law left, I think.
Thank you! I could not remember for the life of me what it was called!

Old 01-21-2012, 10:06 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,672,241 times
If you can wait until Sunday, May 20, there is the Norwegian Constitution Day Parade, northwards from 82nd to 67th Street, along 5th Avenue, in Bay Ridge.

For more information, see 17th of May Parade Committee

Old 01-22-2012, 01:32 PM

2,731 posts, read 6,115,684 times
Quote:
My father-in-law is turning 80 and I'm looking to bring him into Brooklyn (which is where he grew up) for a day to see some old haunts. He moved to NJ almost 50 years ago and hasn't been back to Brooklyn for many years. I'm looking for some advice on places to see/eat and if there might also be any good tours that might fit for part of the day. Probably will wait until Spring for warmer weather.

I'm pretty comfortable with Manhattan, but I've only been to Brooklyn a couple times. Tips on getting around or any safety issues for any neighborhoods would be very helpful. He's originally from Bay Ridge (Norwegian ancestory) so a chunk of his interest will be centered there.

One tour that I found recommedned is a Slice of Brooklyn (Brooklyn Sightseeing Tours - A Slice of Brooklyn Bus Tours | NYC Tour of BK, NY (New York City)); any experience with that? Any others? He's in decent shape and can handle a reasonable amount of walking, but I don't want to overdo it either.

Thanks in advance for any guidance.
I wouldn't do the slice of Brooklyn tour. I think it would be great to just spend the afternoon in Bay Ridge. Sullivan's is a great place for a pint. You could also go to Owl's Head Park. Go for a walk and let him tell you stories. Did he ever mention other areas of Brooklyn? Assuming you'll be driving maybe you could check out Coney Island or something like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City