Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2012, 03:43 PM

2 posts, read 3,992 times

Advertisements

From showing to lease to keys? I'm planning on flying to NY, staying at a hotel for a week then moving into an apartment.

I've done it many times before but not in such a large city. I'm curious if Manhattan is better or worse for such a process.

Few other questions...
Are shorter-term (3mth, 6-7mth) leases easily available?
I have a medium-sized dog, will this significantly complicate the process?
For a $2500 apt, what would pet rent look like?

Anything I should specifically look for or watch out for? I'm used to buildings having their own management that handle rentals, from what I've seen it seems to be less centralized there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2012, 03:57 PM

2,628 posts, read 4,600,053 times
1. Not usually, typical lease is 1 year.
2. Yes
3. Not sure as pet fees vary widely.

Might want to look into possibly subletting at first. While it is possible to find something fast, you really want to give yourself time to do proper searching.

Old 01-20-2012, 04:10 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,083,388 times
Subletting might be an option for you, I always suggest Airbnb.com as a good option, in your case it might work out for you for needing something sooner rather than later, but not sure how the pet thing would work.

Old 01-21-2012, 06:20 AM

25,367 posts, read 36,939,715 times
Quote:
From showing to lease to keys? I'm planning on flying to NY, staying at a hotel for a week then moving into an apartment.

If the apartment you are SHOWN is the one you quickly decide to snap up, you can have your keys in a week.
The problem comes when you say "No, not that one, I'd like to see ANOTHER."

Basically, coming in cold and renting in a week is not going to happen without an unlimited budget and not too many specific requirements. Odds are good that a quick apartment will be one for which you have overpaid.
But overpaying for a year is not the end of the world because you buy a full year to find something you REALLY want.

Old 01-21-2012, 09:19 AM

2 posts, read 3,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
But overpaying for a year is not the end of the world because you buy a full year to find something you REALLY want.
Right, the urgency is due to my home based business, I'm trying to minimize downtime and expenses. I could live in a hotel for months but at 4 times the price of an apt.

I'm just looking for a decent enough place to get me in the city, then I can take my time looking. I'm a single guy with a dog, I don't need to be near anything specific, I think my requirements are quite low.

What I typically do when moving to a new city is find the nicest large apartment community. All the units are basically the same and there are always units available. I stop by the onsite leasing office, no appointment, they do instant approval based on credit. The next day I sign the lease and get the keys.

Anything close to that in a doorman/full service high-rise? Maybe in fidi?

Old 01-21-2012, 10:52 AM

2,628 posts, read 4,600,053 times
Financial district is about 3k on average. Might be a bit tough to find something there.

Old 01-21-2012, 10:56 AM

10,915 posts, read 31,317,173 times
Some buildings have breed/size restrictions, so I would check with an on-site leasing office, or management company, before going to the on-site leasing office as it would save you the hassle if the company refuses to accept a particular breed/size dog. If you want a no-fee rental, look to management companies that take care of their own apartments as it will save you time and hassle, and is not dissimilar from what you are used to in other cities.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 01-21-2012, 11:27 AM

154 posts, read 535,200 times
Try Vacation rentals, private rooms, sublets by the night - Accommodations on Airbnb for the 1 week stay.

Old 01-21-2012, 11:45 AM

15,534 posts, read 15,536,127 times
Sure, it can be done, especially if your rich or not picky.

Yes, the pet will make it more difficult.

Yes, you can do shorter rents, but it will also make it more difficult. You'd be more likely then looking at a sublet, which will make the dog issue even worse.

Why the hurry? Rent in haste, repent at leisure.

Old 01-21-2012, 09:12 PM

241 posts, read 590,480 times
$2500 in full service in Manhattan is unlikely, so that tactic probably won't work. If you up your budget to $3000-$3500, that tactic would probably be more reasonable.

Are you working with a broker? If not, a week is a very short time for that budget in Manhattan, unless you take the first things you see. But if you're willing to take just about anything that fits your budget and doesn't care how many stairs you have to climb, or how small it is, or a basement, or whatever, then you can find something in one week.

Are you only searching in Manhattan? Are you opened to Brooklyn, Queens, NJ, etc.?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: