U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 12:59 PM

5 posts, read 9,110 times

Advertisements

My husband is in the process of interviewing for a job in NYC near the Penn Station area. While we are not completely clear on the salary, it doesn't seem as if it pays much for the area. Is NYC doable for a family of 3 on 70-80k? We think they want to pay closer to the 70k side. We would need to use public schools, so a good elementary school is important. Our son would be starting preschool next year.

My husband would be expected to do some driving for his job, so we would need to keep a car either at the apartment or by his job if he takes public transport to work (parking with his job would be free). In this situation is it better to forgo public transport and just have him drive?

My questions are what areas could we live in with good public schools and keep his commute to about 45 minutes or less. Is that even possible on that salary?

We are not looking to buy of course just looking for a 2 bedroom apt. Our current apt is under 800 sq feet, so it doesn't have to be big, we are fine with a smaller space.

We are also ok with living out of NYC as long as the commute is reasonable and the area is good.

Any help would be appreciated!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2012, 02:23 PM

197 posts, read 471,183 times
I might be a bit biased, but I would pick the ditmars part of Astoria. Takes about 20minutes on the subway to penn station, parking is good in the area and look up PS122Q for public school. You guys should manage fine on that salary here

Old 01-23-2012, 02:33 PM

9,039 posts, read 22,272,156 times
I would say look in New Jersey.Very easily accessible to the Penn Station area by car and train,cheaper rents and better schools.Keeping a car in NYC is a misery too.
Honestly,NYC would be a struggle for a family on $70,000. You'll be much better off in NJ.
You might want to post on a NJ forum for more specific help about rents in various localities and various transit options.

Old 01-23-2012, 02:45 PM
bg7

7,696 posts, read 9,441,390 times
Try renting in Glen Ridge, NJ - excellent public schools at all three levels. Reasonably easy access to major highways by car. One-seat commute - I think the ride to Penn is 25 mins. Your commuting costs will be offset by the fact you won't be paying NYC resident income tax.

Old 01-23-2012, 03:05 PM

Thanks for the responses...my initial thought was NJ was the best option too. I was just curious to see if anything in NYC was an option as well. I hate driving and I was hoping to live somewhere with stores in walking distance. But I can deal either way. I was hoping to get away with just 1 car for my husband, but I'm guessing in NJ we'd need 2 since he needs one at work for some inconceivable reason...however I think he did mention a car allowance, so that should offset some of the cost.

My entire family is from Newark, however we moved to Florida and other areas around 18 years ago when I was 12...so we're all a little fuzzy on the best places to live. I'll re-post in the NJ forums for some more info. Thanks!

Old 01-23-2012, 03:17 PM

2,896 posts, read 9,253,855 times
[CQUOTE=bluedog2;22674848]I would say look in New Jersey.Very easily accessible to the Penn Station area by car and train,cheaper rents and better schools.Keeping a car in NYC is a misery too.
Honestly,NYC would be a struggle for a family on $70,000. You'll be much better off in NJ.
You might want to post on a NJ forum for more specific help about rents in various localities and various transit options.[/quote]

Concur completely.

First, are we to take it that you will not be working? If you could earn $40 to $50,000 it would go a LONG way toward financial security.

On your husband's potential salary, a frugal life w/b yours, and a second child would not be reccommended.

The suburbs of New Jersey is your best circumstance. NJ Transit's commuter train, or the PATH train into Penn Station; or NJ Transit commuter bus into Port Authority bus terminal at 42nd and 8th Ave.

Your money will go furthest in the suburbs, but it still won't be cheap, just more affordable. You'll also be able to keep a car, BUT you may also need TWO!

The thing to comprehend about NYC is that good schools are a rarity, and are directly related to one's capability to pay high rents or the exorbitant cost of the better neighborhoods. Average neighborhoods have terrible schools, and the better neighborhoods are beyond your budget.

The suburbs are FAR FAR better.

Yup, the NJ forum will provide better advice on suburban life in your income bracket.

Luck!

Old 01-23-2012, 03:33 PM

Thanks...I will be working, but in 3-4 years. I'm hoping to go back to school first to get into the medical field, unless our finances are so awful, that I just have to get something right away. I didn't make much before I had my son, so I'm hoping going back to school for something more in demand will enable me to make a better income. So we are trying to plan on just his salary for now and we definitely have no plans for a second child.

Old 01-23-2012, 04:48 PM

2,896 posts, read 9,253,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chantik View Post
Thanks for the responses...my initial thought was NJ was the best option too. I was just curious to see if anything in NYC was an option as well. I hate driving and I was hoping to live somewhere with stores in walking distance. But I can deal either way. I was hoping to get away with just 1 car for my husband, but I'm guessing in NJ we'd need 2 since he needs one at work for some inconceivable reason...however I think he did mention a car allowance, so that should offset some of the cost.

My entire family is from Newark, however we moved to Florida and other areas around 18 years ago when I was 12...so we're all a little fuzzy on the best places to live. I'll re-post in the NJ forums for some more info. Thanks!

JFYI, there are neighborhoods within the five boroughs you can move which will be relatively satisfactory. It is just that the schools will be relatively subpar. You can get away with that for a few years, but certainly by Junior High/Middle School it will be necessary to find better schooling options. Catholic schools are the ONLY affordable option!

So, if Catholic schooling is ok with you and you feel, perhaps with a part time job, you guys can swing the tuition, then the non-trendy neighborhoods of Brooklyn or Queens are viable for your family.

The commute will be roughly an hour by subway and a bit less convenient than NJ. You could then get away with no car or just one car. You could probably find a decent 2 bdrm in the $1500 to $1800 range. Again, a part time job bringing close to a $1000 take home per month will be the difference between struggling and relative ease AND being able to save a little ($200 to $500 per month).

It is the NYC norm for a wife in your husband's income range to work, at least part time, in order to get by. I've lived for a time in Florida myself. Life here is a bit harder to get by. I recall when I first lived in FL, people could get by on a McDonald's job, pay for a decent apt and a car! Things change, a little bit harder to get by in FL, but still easier than NYC.

It canis be tough to make the adjustment from FL to NYC, I wish you LUCK!

Old 01-23-2012, 11:35 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

46,079 posts, read 47,722,515 times
NE Queens, especially Bayside, might have what you're looking for. Middle class and (I think) decent schools. I met someone who grew up there, went to public schools, though a magnet for high school. Lived walking distance to a LIRR station, train ride to Penn Station was under 30 minutes.

Old 01-24-2012, 01:09 AM

1,305 posts, read 1,532,734 times
what nei said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City