Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 07:12 PM

1,409 posts, read 5,250,085 times

Advertisements

I don't know about the singles scene, but I'm moving to Clinton Hill in Brooklyn and it is serious Buppieville. You may want to look at census data to find a neighborhood that is a good fit for you:
Mapping the 2010 U.S. Census - NYTimes.com
(enter a neighborhood zip and choose the distribution of race and ethnicity map)

I will reiterate, NYC is nothing like Atlanta. The most important color in NYC is green. If you want something like Atlanta, I would suggest the nicer parts of Prince Georges('s?) county in MD.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2012, 07:50 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,915,268 times
Fort Greene?

Old 01-23-2012, 08:13 PM

2,223 posts, read 5,353,374 times
Crown Heights and Bed are probably suitable for your budget. Although SE Queens is probably the most affluent, highly concentrated black area in NYC it lacks social life. most people have cars and dO the long island scene for entertainment. Also the manhattan commute could be more than 1 hour. I wouldn't choose a neighborhood based on race in NYC ever. Go for what u can afford, where u feel safe, what amenities you want, and transportation options. Good luck.

Old 01-23-2012, 11:32 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,043,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honey_Bee View Post
Hi all I am moving to NYC from the ATL soon and I am very excited. I am looking for a nice black area in either Manhattan Brooklyn or Queens. My budget is $1,500. I will be working in Manhattan full time and would love a nice young black area with lots of single men and dating options. A good club hip hop scene is a must. Also does anyone know what are the best hip hop clubs in either NYC Brooklyn Queens I have never been to NY before and will be going next Monday what are some neighborhoods that you would recommend? How do you like it there?
Wow you from hotlanta? Thats hot. Hmmm black area in Manhattan? That's becoming a rareity, there is always Harlem though 1500 budget in Harlem is unthinkable. 1500 is a little low, thats good enough for housing project money. 1500 a month is going to put you in a mostly black areas of out skirts of nyc which these areas exist except for Harlem and fort green which is out of your league unless you opt for a roommate. As for hip hop clubs I think the best one might be the shadow lounge, websterhall also has a hip hop floor, alot of places mix it up with house, old school, reggae and top 40. Hip hop clubs are trouble and brings a lot of activity like gun play outside. Many out of town young black folks I met mostly lived in gentry and yuppie areas of the city. And then you from Atlanta, guys here are going to be thirsty for out of town meat especially a black one too. You should try to get a roommate in Harlem or parts of Bk so you can enjoy some night life in the city on your small budget.

Old 01-25-2012, 12:48 AM

961 posts, read 2,464,414 times
Fort Greene, Clinton Hill, Harlem, Prospect Heights and certain parts of Bed-Stuy and Crown Heights. Queens has what someone from Atlanta would consider "nice" black areas, but they are far from the city in South East Queens, and it is heavily Caribbean. Not much of a hip-hop scene. With your budget Bed-Stuy west of Nostrand might sound right for you.

Having been to Atlanta several times, I can tell you what you consider a nice black area there is not the same in this very urban atmosphere. "Nice" black areas, much like "nice" areas with any ethnicity in NY attracts people from all races, sorry we're not as homogenized as Atlanta. Black neighborhoods tend to be somewhat more affordable, so people get in where they fit in, unless the crime is too high.

As far as clubs there's Rebel, Taj I and II (Chelsea), 40/40 reopened, Webster Hall has some nights, Club Roam....As far as non-commercial hip hop (or what I call real hip hop), Brooklyn Bowl, Santos Party House, Franklin Park and SOB's has some dope nights. Depends on your taste. Being from ATL you may not like the last ones I mentioned, not much crunk or snap music.

Last edited by twist07; 01-25-2012 at 12:56 AM.. Reason: forgot Clinton Hill

Old 01-25-2012, 10:03 AM

93,326 posts, read 123,941,088 times
Perhaps East Elmhurst in Queens might be a happy medium, as it is diverse, but pluralistically more Black than anything else. It has a great history in terms of Black folks too. It isn't too far from Harlem or LaGuardia Airport either. East Elmhurst, Queens - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 01-25-2012, 11:28 AM

32,101 posts, read 34,714,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honey_Bee View Post
Hi all I am moving to NYC from the ATL soon and I am very excited. I am looking for a nice black area in either Manhattan Brooklyn or Queens. My budget is $1,500. I will be working in Manhattan full time and would love a nice young black area with lots of single men and dating options. A good club hip hop scene is a must. Also does anyone know what are the best hip hop clubs in either NYC Brooklyn Queens I have never been to NY before and will be going next Monday what are some neighborhoods that you would recommend? How do you like it there?
A nice black area? I think I asked this question on this forum a month or so ago. My friends and I ask this very same question about every other month. As far as urban enclaves filled with buppies/blipsters in any city (including ATL), we really couldn't think of many. In New York, you'll find the highest concentration of young black professionals in Harlem and Fort Greene/Clinton Hill.

The whole social scene in NYC is completely different from Atlanta. Atlanta has a whole bunch of clubs with a 100% black crowd where you can hear nearly all of the tracks from the Carter IV in a single DJ set. In NYC, on the other hand, most bourgie blacks prefer to party it up at more diverse clubs that play a mixture of house, hip hop, and 80s music. The nightlife is more eclectic here; you'll find a lot of "Prince vs. Outkast" or "George Michael vs. Rod Stewart" parties, and yes, you'll see lots of black people jammin' to Rod Stewart and Duran Duran.

I can't tell you that much about hip hop clubs since I stopped clubbing a while ago. There were these HBCU afterwork "Crunk In the City" parties that were popular not that long ago. Those parties tend to move from spot to spot around the city. Body used to be popular, but that was around '08. Someone already mentioned Taj Lounge. Gold Bar used to be rockin', but that's a more diverse crowd, and the DJ won't play hip hop all night long. Then of course there's the 40/40 club, but does anyone other than out-of-towners even go to that spot?

South'N the City- The Afterwork Crunk Party Part 2 - Eventbrite

Tillman's NYC

GOLDBAR NYC

tajlounge Home page

ThreeKingsNYC used to be one of the better guides for bourgie black nightlife, but those cats have gotten and old and have really fallen off, and I'm sure there's some new kids on the block that have supplanted them. To be honest, NYC is so huge that you're not going to find the one "it" spot for black people. A club will be hot for a month or two, and then it quickly loses its appeal. And for the most part, the town's pretty cliquish. You're either down with the Wall Street/Big Law/Professional set. You have to be plugged into that network to find out what the hot spots are (for that month). Then there's the industry set. Then there's the artistic set. You have to put in some work to figure out what's going on, especially when it comes to the black social scene.

welcome to threeKINGS

Last edited by BajanYankee; 01-25-2012 at 11:43 AM..

Old 01-25-2012, 11:57 AM

32,101 posts, read 34,714,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twist07 View Post
As far as clubs there's Rebel, Taj I and II (Chelsea), 40/40 reopened, Webster Hall has some nights, Club Roam....As far as non-commercial hip hop (or what I call real hip hop), Brooklyn Bowl, Santos Party House, Franklin Park and SOB's has some dope nights. Depends on your taste. Being from ATL you may not like the last ones I mentioned, not much crunk or snap music.
I guess it would have been helpful to know the OP's age. Rebel is where I'd go if I wanted to grind up on 20-year old undergrads. It's too bad I'm too old (and engaged) to do that now. Fun for me nowadays is watching the late night West Coast game at Harlem Tavern with my boys.

Old 01-25-2012, 12:27 PM

2,691 posts, read 4,330,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twist07 View Post

....As far as non-commercial hip hop (or what I call real hip hop), Brooklyn Bowl, Santos Party House, Franklin Park and SOB's has some dope nights. Depends on your taste. Being from ATL you may not like the last ones I mentioned, not much crunk or snap music.
Oh boy is this true! I have a cousin that lives down south (North Carolina) who came to visit me and said she didn't care what we did so I just took her to places I liked: Freedom Friday at Le Poisson Rouge, First Saturday at the Brooklyn Museum and Brooklyn Bowl. She hated it! Didn't "get" the music and thought all we listened to in NYC was "old school." What perplexed her most was how people in "clubs" dressed. Her words "I thought NYC was supposed to be so fashionable...guys would NEVER be allowed in a club with sneakers where I live!" I tried to explain the types of venues we were in and the type of crowd it draws and that they are dressed fashionably but she didn't get it.

Anyway, to get back on topic, Ft Greene or Clinton Hill would be good black areas (but nothing like black areas in ATL) but as others have pointed out with a budget of $1500 you will need a roommate. Even the more desirable areas of Bed Stuy, you won't find much for that amount.

Old 01-26-2012, 11:15 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,129,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Perhaps East Elmhurst in Queens might be a happy medium, as it is diverse, but pluralistically more Black than anything else. It has a great history in terms of Black folks too. It isn't too far from Harlem or LaGuardia Airport either. East Elmhurst, Queens - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Actually, East Elmhurst is now plurality Hispanic, though still with a significant Black population (say, 35-40%)

Mapping the 2010 U.S. Census - NYTimes.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City