Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 10:19 AM

168 posts, read 338,253 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluecollarbred View Post
1. Northern New Jersey
2. Long Island
3. Southwest Connecticut

no, yes, no
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2012, 11:08 AM

155 posts, read 426,052 times
This is interesting. I have a lot of family in central and northern Connecticut and they don't consider people who live in Farifield county real Nutmeggers. The refer to them as NYers.

I refer to them as Nutmeggers.

For those confused by my post,

Nut·meg·ger

   /ˈnʌtmɛgər/ a native or inhabitant of Connecticut.

Old 01-28-2012, 08:34 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutequeenslady View Post
no, yes, no
I lived on the Waterfront in Jersey City and I could SWIM to Greenwich Village a mile away and get to the Financial District or anywhere on the lower West side FAR faster than I can now living on the UES.
So I considered myself very much a New Yorker. I had no car so the only travel I ever did was the PATH train into town...all restaurants, all bars, and most friends were in NYC and I did theater twice a week in NYC. Income was from NY job.
I was 2 miles from Times Square...how many New Yorkers can say that?

But if I lived in Mahwah, Somerville, Long Island or Darian, I'd say NO.

Downtown Jersey City is very much a "borough" of NYC.

Old 01-29-2012, 08:12 AM

2,653 posts, read 5,958,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Downtown Jersey City is very much a "borough" of NYC.
Ummmm, no it's not.
It's simply Downtown Jersey City.

Last edited by openheads; 01-29-2012 at 08:26 AM..

Old 01-29-2012, 08:16 AM

1,602 posts, read 4,158,204 times
I'm from Bergen County, North Jersey. I live 8 minutes from NYC - just off the Palisades Parkway by Englewood Cliffs, but I am not a New Yorker- I am a Bergen County girl and proud !!

Old 01-29-2012, 08:28 AM

5,265 posts, read 16,584,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forum_browser View Post
I wonder how people in other regions of NYS would react if told that they weren't NYers, because, outside of NYC, there's nothing in the state?
Basically, we're used to it.

I was born and raised and have lived most of my adult life in NY State....in Rochester. I've only been downstate/NYC twice (unless you count layovers at JFK airport, then it goes up considerably). We don't really call ourselves "new yorkers", unless it's "We new yorkers get screwed over by the state's government".

When visiting other areas of the country and asked where we are from, we say "Rochester" or "Upstate, NY"...not just "New York". (I have said "new york" before and the comment I most often get is , "what really? You don't have that noo yoawk accent!")

Legally and politically being a "New Yorker" means something considerably different than it does to be a "New Yorker" culturally.

Old 01-29-2012, 11:31 AM

175 posts, read 421,658 times
I think the best answer is that anyone from those areas can truthfully say "I'm from the suburbs of New York City." That covers LI, Jersey, and Connecticut (plus Westchester, Rockland, etc.) and catches the fact that as suburbs of the city, towns in the tri-state area have more in common with each other than they do with the more distant or rural parts of their own states.

Obviously it depends on context, too. If someone asks me "are you a New Yorker" when they really mean "did you grow up in the five boroughs," it'd be dishonest not to say that I'm actually from Westchester.

Old 01-29-2012, 12:29 PM

877 posts, read 2,012,282 times
Anyone who was born in NYC and was raised in NYC is considered a NYer, even if you came at a very young age (youth) and went to elementary, junior high or high school here.

Old 01-29-2012, 02:09 PM

961 posts, read 2,463,738 times
I'm originally from Jersey, Elizabeth. When I lived down south people would refer to me as a New Yorker because of the whole regional thing. I used to have to explain to them that no, I'm from Jersey...to people not from the tri-state, or the Northeast in general, they don't know the difference. Yes we relate in many ways and know things only people in the region would understand. But no, those of us from North Jersey, even though I live in Brooklyn and defend the city, are not New Yorkers.

Old 01-29-2012, 02:52 PM

19,027 posts, read 13,937,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twist07 View Post
I used to have to explain to them that no, I'm from Jersey...to people not from the tri-state, or the Northeast in general, they don't know the difference.
I don't understand how it could be such a hard concept to understand: Jersey City is in NJ. Did these same people understand that New Orleans is in Louisiana and not Mississippi?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City