Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 08:35 AM

6 posts, read 8,394 times

Advertisements

Hey there, so here is the deal. I am considering accepting a position in Yonkers which pays around 95k. I have a car, I am a 33 year old newly single gal with 2 cats. I currently live in CT but the commute is nuts.
Are there any safe, urban-ish (ie life going on outside your door, not being forced to drive 15 minutes to get to a grocery store) areas within say 30 minutes by car or public transport? Additionally, if I want a MINIMUM of 800 sq ft (cant go smaller with cats), in an updated building what am I looking at price wise?
I don't want to live on Ramen and Campbell's and I work very hard so I want to enjoy life... so is this job worth it or should I stay where I am?
Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2012, 08:40 AM

340 posts, read 1,185,338 times
There is a million places u can live within 30 mins from yonkers. u need to start by looking at a map. u could even live in yonkers.

Old 01-26-2012, 09:29 AM

2,848 posts, read 7,576,804 times
If you want more specific information on Yonkers and the surrounding areas, you might want to post in the Westchester forum, since Yonkers is part of Westchester county. But there are many places to live within 30 minutes, from Yonkers itself to White Plains, etc.

Old 01-26-2012, 03:16 PM

6 posts, read 8,394 times
Sorry, from what friends in the are have told me, Riverdale or somewhere like that is my only option. Yonkers has high taxes and few 'nicer' areas, and whiteplains would be the only place in westchester that has remotely the urban feel i'm looking for but that I can't get a nice 1 bedroom for under $2500... is that incorrect?

Old 01-26-2012, 03:56 PM

2,848 posts, read 7,576,804 times
I don't think Riverdale is your only option. Why don't you check out the NY Times real estate listings and just get a feel for the rents in the area. Again, the Westchester forum might be able to help you more. Yonkers/White Plains are not part of NYC.

Old 01-26-2012, 07:27 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,528,381 times
bronxville

Old 01-26-2012, 09:16 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,385,275 times
Bronxville is likely going to be expensive, unless it's the Bronxville P.O., which is Yonkers or Eastchester, and a portion of Mount Vernon (very small portion). Parking can be very difficult in the P.O., as many buildings were built without adequate parking for modern households that have multiple vehicles; and, in Bronxville proper you have to park off-street, even if your complex does not have parking, as the village has parking lots for residential parking because no vehicles may be parked on the streets overnight.

Riverdale is a good option, as would be Woodlawn, if you want o stay in the city. If you want Westchester, I would look more toward White Plains or Hartsdale, or even Tarrytown. Pelham is also convenient to Yonkers, and might have some rental options. NYC has resident income tax, and your car insurance will be higher than Westchester, so I would consider both when budgeting between the city and Lower Westchester.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 01-27-2012, 05:48 AM

stay out of riverdale unless ur jewish and want a kosher pizza place, kosher liquor store, kosher bakery, and kosher mexican that all are closed after dark and on weekends wtf

Old 01-27-2012, 06:13 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,048,523 times
If one is going to work in Yonkers, I would think the living nearby makes the most sense. If you live outside Yonkers and NYC you escape the local income taxes.
Find a garden apartment in Westchester County, there are a million of them and they are not expensive.

For weeekends, come into Manhattan for fun.

Old 01-27-2012, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeRrYcRaCk View Post
stay out of riverdale unless ur jewish and want a kosher pizza place, kosher liquor store, kosher bakery, and kosher mexican that all are closed after dark and on weekends wtf
and i forgot the last one and a bagel store that yells at you to go stand by the door if u talk on ur cell phone by the register.

riverdale can go $#$@#@ itself!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City