Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2012, 03:36 PM

55 posts, read 123,944 times

Advertisements

My husband is accepting an internship in the Financial District over the summer for about 12 weeks. Right now we are considering whether our daughters, ages 2 1/2 and 10 months, and I should go with him for the summer. We would need short term housing for the 4 of us somewhere close-ish to his job. We know very little of NYC and the areas that are best to live in. Does anyone know much about short term housing in NYC and what areas are convenient to the financial district and also safe, child friendly areas?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2012, 08:31 PM

1,409 posts, read 5,235,986 times
Battery Park City seems like a perfect fit neighborhood-wise, but I don't know if there is any short-term/corporate housing there. Perhaps someone else can chime in.

Old 01-27-2012, 09:41 AM

5,508 posts, read 8,690,875 times
Personally I'd reconsider bringing two toddlers to NYC for this short amount of time. Kids are great. I have some myself. But you'd be stuck with them 24/7 in a small apartment somewhere in a city you've never been to while your husband is worked to death at some fancy bank or law firm. Sure, you'd discover things to do, but only slowly and by the time you got things figured out it'd be time to leave. Not my idea of fun.

Can you and the kids stay where you are while he's in the city for the summer? For one, it'll be a lot easier for him to find a spot by himself, and a lot cheaper too 'cause he'll be looking for a smaller spot. He could visit you on weekends or all of you could meet somewhere else. It might be easier all the way around than searching for that elusive, affordable two-bedroom sublet w/in walking distance to Wall Street.

Old 01-27-2012, 10:58 AM

1,871 posts, read 4,249,474 times
You didn't mention what your budget was. However, I'd look into the north Park Slope area of Brooklyn around Bergen street and Flatbush. The 2 & 3 train stop will take your husband right to Chambers street. Park Slope is probably the most child friendly neighborhood in the city.

However, housing in or close to the financial district itself will be the most convenient obviously and if cost is not an issue I'd do that. Negotiating a summer rental will be a bit tricky without the aid of your husband's firm--and if he is an intern I doubt they will.

Old 01-27-2012, 04:30 PM

15,468 posts, read 15,433,826 times
For what he's being paid, or not paid, do you want to spend the money it would take for all four of you? I'd also agree with CityLove about the downside of being saddle with two small children in a strange city that's not very hospital to kids.

Love your handle.

Old 01-27-2012, 07:21 PM

1,409 posts, read 5,235,986 times
I would rather be in the city w/ my husband and kids than alone for 12 weeks. Unless, I had a great support system at home.

Old 01-27-2012, 07:36 PM

2,896 posts, read 9,775,763 times
Money, money, money, is the issue.

Is it a paid internship? Does the firm compensate for housing?

I suggest speaking with the firms's Human Resources dept.

In any event, you might be able to find a 3 month sublet, but it likely will not be cheap. NYC doesn't have the sort of apartment 'complex' housing commonly found in most other areas of the country. Also housing is in great demand, consequently there is a dearth of short term housing.

Realize the cost for 3 months of rent will likely equal a year or more's rent where you live!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City