Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2006, 10:44 AM

36 posts, read 218,282 times

Advertisements

Is the Bronx area really that bad nowadays? I lived there a couples of years over 30 years ago but don't remember much because I was a small child.

I live now in Florida and considering a couple of different location to relocate, being NYC one of them. I visit every year and LOVE IT.

When I check the FBI last year's stats, it indicates that crime is even lower than Orlando where I live! (Orlando is overrated and worse than you think) Here is the link if you don't believe me:

Moderator cut: link removed

My question is, I would like to relocate around the Bronx area and I need to hear you recommended areas and if is really as bad as portrayed on TV.

I appreciate your feedback.

Last edited by Yac; 09-13-2006 at 02:32 PM.. Reason: not working
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2006, 03:11 PM

502 posts, read 2,295,910 times
I haven't been to the Bronx in a long time but I never liked it. There are some parts of the Bronx that are ok. I think parts of Pelham is okay but why the Bronx? You better off going to NJ or Queens. It all depends on what you can afford and where you plan to work. I assume you plan to work in NYC. I would stay away from the Bronx, especially if you have children.

I've been to Orlando and If you don't like it there, you most likely will hate the Bronx.

Old 09-16-2006, 08:51 AM

I was just thinking of a place near Manhattan - that's all. My children are grown, in college and on their own (I was a young mom) and we've lived in the suburbs all this time and crave for an urban lifestyle. I had my children young, so I'm in the late 30's almost 40 and my husband in his mid 30's and looking for more excitement on our lives :-)

Orlando is OK for families with young children - but we've been there, done that if you know what I mean.

Thanks for your feedback.

Old 09-16-2006, 09:37 AM

9,526 posts, read 30,477,668 times
The South Bronx near manhattan is still a very, very rough place. There are some decent blocks on the Grand Concourse but in general the area is among the most crime-ridden in NYC. There are decent pockets, but the only really nice area reasonably close-in is Riverdale. The better parts are closer to Westchester.

I would forget about the BX but you might like Hudson Heights neighborhood north of 181st and centered on Haven ave to Fort Tyron Park in Manhattan. This is a little island of peace and quiet up on the palisade in Washington Heights, but the surrounding area is pretty much 100% dominican and pretty darn shabby.

Personally, I would be looking into Brooklyn and Queens. I particularly like Jackson Heights, Astoria, and most of South Brooklyn west of Flatbush.

Old 09-16-2006, 11:19 AM

8 posts, read 72,158 times
Default Love It/hate It

I Am 46 Yrs Old And Lived In The Bronx My Whole Life....so I Consider Myself An Expert On The Subject...
The Bronx Has Changed Alot, In Some Ways For The Better In Other Ways For The Worse...
Crime Went Down For the Last Few Years And Now Slowly Creeping Up. But Still Crime Situation Is No Where Near As Bad As The 70's. Neighborhoods That Were Once Devastated By Fire, Crime And Gang Violence Are Now Beautiful And Vibrant...new Buildings Everywhere...all Kinds Of Businesses Opening Up....it's Rather Shocking To Any Longtime Bronxite.... In A Good Way..
Things I Love About The Bronx:
The New Yankee Stadium They're Buliding, And Of Course The Team!!!
The Bronx Zoo, The Bronx Botanical Gardens, And The Fact That Most Of The Bronx Is Actually Parks..
The Food, The People, And It's Closeness To Manhattan....

Last edited by TITERE4JESUS; 09-16-2006 at 11:27 AM..

Old 09-16-2006, 11:25 AM

8 posts, read 72,158 times
Default Hate It

Things I Hate About The Bronx:
Noise At Night No Matter Where You Live...
Inconsiderate Neighbors
Old School Respect And Consideration Is Not As Easy To Find
Just Like Everywhere Else In The Country..things change, people change..this Happens Everywhere...I Dont Understand Why People Will Not Accept The Law Of Change....
Remember, "Location Is Everything", And The Bronx Is Definitely Great Because Of It's Location.
Neighborhhoods I Recommend for Beginners: PELHAM BAY, THROGGS NECK, RIVERDALE, CO-OP CITY, PARKCHESTER, BELMONT/ARTHUR AVE., CITY ISLAND.....

Last edited by TITERE4JESUS; 09-16-2006 at 11:34 AM..

Old 09-16-2006, 02:53 PM

Thanks a lot all of you for your feedback!

Crime is actually going up everywhere - is crazy! And you are right TITERE4JESUS, it changes everywhere. When I moved to Central Florida 20 years ago, I could live my car unlock and no one would bother. Now carjackings and Hit and Runs are part of our every day life here in beautiful Orlando. I wouldn't move because an area changes - there is no point. Is a cycle.

I'm just looking forward to start having fun a bit late on my life - that's all.

I will definetely look into the areas you recommended.

Thanks again!

Old 10-19-2006, 12:24 PM

1,529 posts, read 2,799,627 times
The Bronx has some decent areas. Pelham Parkway, Pelham Bay, Morris Park, Throgs Neck, Woodlawn, Country Club, City Island, Riverdale.

Stay away from neighborhood within the confines of the 40th, 41st, 42nd, 43rd, 44th, 46th, 47th, 48th, and 52nd precincts.

And remember, crime statistics aren't 100% accurate. Stats are downgraded to make the compstat cut. There is a LOT of crime in the South Bronx and other low income areas of the borough and across the city.

Old 10-19-2006, 02:17 PM

1,529 posts, read 2,799,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TITERE4JESUS View Post
Things I Hate About The Bronx:
Noise At Night No Matter Where You Live...
Inconsiderate Neighbors
Old School Respect And Consideration Is Not As Easy To Find
Just Like Everywhere Else In The Country..things change, people change..this Happens Everywhere...I Dont Understand Why People Will Not Accept The Law Of Change....
Remember, "Location Is Everything", And The Bronx Is Definitely Great Because Of It's Location.
Neighborhhoods I Recommend for Beginners: PELHAM BAY, THROGGS NECK, RIVERDALE, CO-OP CITY, PARKCHESTER, BELMONT/ARTHUR AVE., CITY ISLAND.....
I do not recommend Co-op city. They had to install gun sensors on the rooftops of the buildings to combat shootings. The area does have a problem with violent crime. Parkchester has problems with drug activity and terrible maintaince. Robberies are also pretty common. Belmont is not a nice area to live at all. That was once the Bronx Little Italy but now the majority of Italians in that area have relocated out of the city. Leaving vacant shells, although now many are renovated and affordable housing for low income people. It is now mostly Puerto Rican and very poor. Lots of robberies and shootings. Drugs a big problem too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isabella View Post
I've been to Orlando and If you don't like it there, you most likely will hate the Bronx.
I agree. I have been to Orlando many times. Although statistically the crime rate in Orlando is higher then NYC, it's still lower then many Bronx neighborhoods. Crime stats in NYC aren't exactly accurate due to reclassifing crimes and downgrading reports. I've been to lower income Orlando many times and compared to many Bronx neighborhoods, trust me, it is truely a vacation.

Old 10-20-2006, 03:10 AM

60 posts, read 455,196 times
The other problem with the Bronx is that it isn't exciting and happening, both things the OP desires. From the Bronx you must travel through the ret of the Bronx and a chunk of Manhattan to get to the more lively parts of the city. That's a long way. I don't know your price range but you are better off in Manhattan, Brooklyn, Queens, Staten Island or parts of Jersey than you'd be in the Bronx.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City