Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 10:40 AM

5,000 posts, read 8,206,725 times

Advertisements

You do realize that you just completely contradicted yourself with your little examples there right? First you celebrate the creation of expressways as a benefit to society, and then wrap things up by whining about cars. That was honestly almost embarrassing to read. Your parents did a knockout job with the whole idea of thinking before you speak/write.

Bottom line is that these are the people who live and work in the neighborhood. Not the empty suits who want to look good making random areas appear 'green'. Especially when they are implemented without a thorough participation from the block.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2012, 12:16 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,357,981 times
I am not celebrating anything, I am pointing out the bigger picture in both examples..which at the time was less about ME ME ME and more about society as a whole. Pretty simple.

There are people who live and work in every neighborhood...but you are still not understanding that it is not all about ME ME ME...what part of that don't you understand? They got a pedestrian plaza...TERRIBLE! Poor residents and shop owners...life is over and the community will now self-implode. Really?

This is bigger than these individuals, it's about our society. But you can't see that and it doesn't matter..nothing does..besides ME ME ME. I am glad I don't live in your sorry world.

Old 01-31-2012, 12:22 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,100,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoltrane View Post

What right do some bearded white Transplants, seeking cheap rent, have to interject their values and sensibilities in a neighborhood they are not a part of and are not wanted?

I gurantee you that in that HEAVILY immigrant populated area, that none of the immigrants give a D about a pedestrian plaza, except the Transplant interlopers seeking to create a Friends/Seinfeld/Euro nirvana, at the expense of everyone not like themselves. This is the Transplant way!
I guess you have never been to this pedestrian plaza. I pass by there about once a week -- and guess what, it's filled with people who appear to be IMMIGRANTS from South Asian countries. They are out there enjoying the food and cigarettes they just purchased from businesses in the area.

So guess again about your precious bearded white transplants.

Old 01-31-2012, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername View Post
Did you two momos miss the part about the businesses being hurt by this crap? Did you miss the part about the owners going so far as to close up shop in protest of these unwanted little playgrounds? Did you notice how there are a whopping 6 people in favor of them compared to everyone else there who wants nothing to do with em?

People aren't going to take the train who don't like taking trains. They'll just drive somewhere else to shop where this administration hasn't made it as hard to park.
You clearly don't know anything about this issue, and haven't bothered to read anything except one article. How do you know there are only 6 people that wanted the plaza? Because of what you saw in a 2-second clip on a video?

Did you attend any one of the multiple public meetings that the city held in advance of making this street change? Do you even live in the neighborhood? Have you ever seen the pedestrian area in real life (and not a 2-second clip on a video)? If so, what kinds of people did you see sitting at the tables?

Old 01-31-2012, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
funny, my wife and i went to photograph the shopping area in jackson heights by all those colorful stores. we figured we would photograph ,shop and eat dinner there.

after trying endlessly to get a parking spot we ended up giving up and leaving spending nothing there.
I doubt the 10 spots that they took away for the pedestrian plaza would have helped you much. It's notoriously hard to park in that area, no matter how many hundreds of metered spots there are -- whether there are 400 metered spots or 410, it's still going to be difficult to park.

Actually, just wait a few weeks. According to Doom and Gloom above, at least half the shops in the area will be put out of business very soon and you can go, park easily and enjoy the other half of the shops that didn't go out of business.

Last edited by Henna; 01-31-2012 at 12:44 PM..

Old 01-31-2012, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
I am not celebrating anything, I am pointing out the bigger picture in both examples..which at the time was less about ME ME ME and more about society as a whole. Pretty simple.
You are using an example of expressways and highways as a positive aspect for society, followed by whining about cars. Until you stop contradicting yourself, I can't take you seriously.

Quote:
There are people who live and work in every neighborhood...but you are still not understanding that it is not all about ME ME ME...what part of that don't you understand? They got a pedestrian plaza...TERRIBLE! Poor residents and shop owners...life is over and the community will now self-implode. Really?
I sometimes forget that I am dealing with individuals on here who need government to tell them what is good for them. Regardless of whether it's a highway (necessary) or a pedestrian plaza (non necessary). To you, whatever the gov't tells you you need, you're all for it. It wouldn't surprise me if you vote democrat no matter what (disclaimer: the republican party are just as bad)

Quote:
This is bigger than these individuals, it's about our society. But you can't see that and it doesn't matter..nothing does..besides ME ME ME. I am glad I don't live in your sorry world.

Give it a rest with the ME ME ME nonsense. I literally have no vested interest in that neighborhood. I am however for individuals and small business. And when these owners who actually do care about the block speak up in mass against this business killing program; then that to me trumps any guise of progress towards "greening" the neighborhood. Times are freaking tough right now, and people don't need any more financial hardship than is necessary. And don't get me started on the city taking funds out of the budget (our money) to build the freakin thing at this time with the economy the way it is. I swear to god sometimes I think these politicians are smoking a constant bud of some really mellow sativa.

Oh and about your little "I am glad I don't live in your sorry world" comment that you always end your posts off with...well the amount you post it, one starts to wonder if you are the one living in lala land.

Old 01-31-2012, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
You clearly don't know anything about this issue, and haven't bothered to read anything except one article. How do you know there are only 6 people that wanted the plaza? Because of what you saw in a 2-second clip on a video?

Did you attend any one of the multiple public meetings that the city held in advance of making this street change? Do you even live in the neighborhood? Have you ever seen the pedestrian area in real life (and not a 2-second clip on a video)? If so, what kinds of people did you see sitting at the tables?

I do not live in the neighborhood. If you could link me some other articles about this, then I would be more than happy to read them.

I was however over there just the other day. I've got a friend out that way. It was beautiful out. I walked by that block and literally saw one old homeless dude hunched over on a chair. Now if that is worth it to you, then you and I most likely have different opinions on pretty everything in this world.

Old 01-31-2012, 01:04 PM

You prefer to side with a few businesses rather than what the entire community as a whole decided to do, and therein lies the problem. There is no doubt it was decided by the community and community board, at which time business no doubt had their say.

You are for businesses, and whatever suits their monetary needs regardless of what anyone who lives there says/needs/wants or what is good for the community. I wonder how many of these businesses are owned by outside interests who don't live in the neighborhood, don't care to, and are simply raping it and funneling profits to their comfy LI homes. Hmm....

Well said Henna!

Old 01-31-2012, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
You prefer to side with a few businesses rather than what the entire community as a whole decided to do, and therein lies the problem. There is no doubt it was decided by the community and community board, at which time business no doubt had their say.

You are for businesses, and whatever suits their monetary needs regardless of what anyone who lives there says/needs/wants or what is good for the community. I wonder how many of these businesses are owned by outside interests who don't live in the neighborhood, don't care to, and are simply raping it and funneling profits to their comfy LI homes. Hmm....

Well said Henna!

Until I see a transcript of a community board meeting for any of these plazas, I will never believe it. And how quick of you to label any business owner in the area as someone who doesn't live and care about the community. Talk about a judgmental, paranoid nut bag.

Old 01-31-2012, 01:15 PM

Of course not...it is easier to believe whiny businesses claiming they are not making enough profit. It's all about them after all ain't it. Clearly pedestrian plazas appear magically, with no input from anyone.

Who is labeling anyone...I posed a fair question...and it has not been answered. Could be none of the businesses, could be all of the businesses, could be just the businesses whining, who knows. But it's a question that should be answered. If you are catering to your community...you should prefer less parking not more as most people don't drive remember? Those people catering to outsiders or who live outside the community will prefer lots of parking spots...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City