Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 08:11 PM

5,452 posts, read 11,246,530 times

Advertisements

An apt you can find 3 BD in Longwood, South Bronx for $1400 but probably there's something wrong with it.

Hunts Point, New York, NY Real Estate, Apartments & Houses for Rent - HotPads
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2012, 08:14 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,119,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitlock View Post
An apt you can 3 BD in Longwood, South Bronx for $1400 but probably there's something wrong with it.

Hunts Point, New York, NY Real Estate, Apartments & Houses for Rent - HotPads
If you click on the link, hotpads gives you this warning:

Use Caution!
This listing is priced well below other similar units in the area. Use common sense when interacting with this (and any) listing - NEVER SEND MONEY ORDERS OR WIRE MONEY.

Finally some common sense!! We could use more of that around here.

Old 01-31-2012, 08:19 PM

5,452 posts, read 11,246,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
If you click on the link, hotpads gives you this warning:

Use Caution!
This listing is priced well below other similar units in the area. Use common sense when interacting with this (and any) listing - NEVER SEND MONEY ORDERS OR WIRE MONEY.

Finally some common sense!! We could use more of that around here.
Yea, I noticed. Probably some hell hole.

Last edited by Northwindsforever; 01-31-2012 at 08:31 PM..

Old 01-31-2012, 09:10 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,385,275 times
I don't think you can even find a 3BR single-family home in Eastchester for $1500. There's nothing wrong with Eastchester at all, as either of the two school districts in the town, Tuckahoe and Eastchester, are good. Well, there are three districts in the town, but Bronxville's school district is not shared outside of the village; rather, it is coterminous with the municipal borders of the village.

The morning commute should be okay from Rockland County, though the TZ is a toll bridge. The afternoons, however, can be fine, or they can be hellacious. In the summer, especially weekends, the bridge can experience heavy delays, such that a return commute in the afternoon can be mind-numbing. At anything close to rush hour, the drive is also not easy, and it will likely get worse before it gets better as the bridge is scheduled for replacement, and there will likely be construction-related delays as the project progresses.

Orange County is going to be a bit longer than 45-minutes most days, but in the early morning, it could be close to that, depending upon where in Orange the commute originates. I would suggest looking at Putnam first, or even extreme Northern Westchester, around Yorktown, though I think $1500 is going to be very tight for a 3BRs in a good school district in Putnam and Yorktown. Even in Rockland, $1500 seems low for a single-family house, but you could likely find an apartment or townhouse in some areas that would work.

If you have some flexibility in the commute time and budget, I would look to lower Putnam, especially Mahopac and Carmel, as they are not terribly inconvenient to get to the Bronx, and you might find something along the lines of your search. Westchester, save for the cities, does not seem feasible for around $1500.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 01-31-2012, 09:10 PM

334 posts, read 1,102,216 times
Where in the Bronx is your husband driving to? That would make a big difference in the 45 minute commute--45 minutes to Kingsbridge is very different from 45 minutes to Hunts Point.
Rockland is affordable but does he really want to deal with the Tappan Zee or the GWB every day? Also you would have to factor tolls into that commute. I had a friend who commuted from Rockland to Riverdale every day and after a few months he hated it.
If you really need to stay within a budget then I urge you to reconsider the "not Yonkers/Mt Vernon/NYC" limitation. There are decent areas there including Woodlawn, Pelham and Throgs Neck.
I also know people who commute from Queens and Long Island (Nassau County) to the Bronx, depending on where in the Bronx, Queens could be a 20 minute commute or less, but then again you're dealing with bridges, the Whitestone or Throgs Neck.

If you're staying home you may want to think of supplementing your income with something like child care or babysitting.

Last edited by gk90; 01-31-2012 at 09:42 PM..

Old 02-01-2012, 04:57 AM

10 posts, read 35,441 times
Okay, to clear some things up, my husband and I live in the Bronx now. We cannot stand the Bronx. We are from NYC, born and raised, and I can say that I know plenty of families who rent homes within 4boroughs (less Manhattan) for around $1500. But my husband and I want to get away from NYC. IF we stayed in NYC, we'd probably live in Staten Island. But we're trying to avoid tolls and the heavy traffic. Next, probably some areas of Queens, but again with the tolls and traffic. The other 3 boroughs are completely out of the picture.

I don't like Woodlawn or Throggs Neck. You actually think these are good places? Maybe so, but I don't like them. Riverdale is also a decent area, but I don't want to live around there. We just really need to get out of Bx. It's too clustered and crowded for my taste.

To the PP, I actually really like Pelham, but I thought their prices were too expensive. You stated that Pelham is in the Yonkers/Mt. Vernon area. Isn't Pelham it's own town in Westchester County?

I thought about babysitting, etc, but I will not do it in this area. After we move, it is a possibility. But still, when I go back to grad school I wouldn't be able to work, so we'd still just live off my husband's salary.

Old 02-01-2012, 05:11 AM

I just remembered New Rochelle. How is it living there?

Old 02-01-2012, 06:53 AM

141 posts, read 353,455 times
There are bad and good parts to New Rochelle but I doubt you will find a house for $1500 there. And Pelham is its own town, but borders New Rochelle, Mt. Vernon, and the Bronx.

Old 02-01-2012, 07:25 AM

Okay. So it seems there's no place in the area that we can afford. IDK what to do. Seems like we'll have to stay in Staten Island & just pay toll & get stuck in traffic everyday.

Old 02-01-2012, 05:58 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,119,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRCR3 View Post
Okay, to clear some things up, my husband and I live in the Bronx now. We cannot stand the Bronx. We are from NYC, born and raised, and I can say that I know plenty of families who rent homes within 4boroughs (less Manhattan) for around $1500.
Where, like Eastern Queens and Staten Island?

As far as I know, to rent a house in most good (transportation-convenient) areas of Queens costs from $2200 to $4000 (and up) per month.

Maybe you could find out from your friends how they got their $1500/mo for entire house deals and where they are?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City