Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2012, 02:29 PM

34,003 posts, read 47,240,427 times

Advertisements

Whoa. Thanks for the hard work.
I'm interested in the yellow area by Richmond Avenue and Victory Boulevard, whats wrong with over there? I have no knowledge of that immediate area except for driving to SI Mall thats why I ask.

Otherwise the map looks accurate to me.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2012, 02:45 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,125,537 times
I was actually debating on whether or not to add that area. I've walked around there a lot of times, and something just feels off about it. I definitely wouldn't consider it dangerous (like I said, the yellow areas are basically areas where you have to have absolutely no street smarts to become a crime victim there), but it does have a little bit of a run-down feel to it (I saw a couple of boarded up homes there, and some of the homes in general just have a certain feel to them)

There are probably a couple of other areas that fall into that category, but I'm not familiar with them (and they're so small that you basically have to live in the immediate area to know about them). Maybe in the South Beach/Midland Beach area, there are a few pockets like that.

The other four yellow areas are the areas immediately around the South Beach Houses, Todt Hill Houses, and Berry Houses, as well as the part of Graniteville immediately bordering Mariners' Harbor.

Old 02-12-2012, 03:41 PM

573 posts, read 1,462,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
I made a safety map of SI.

Staten Island Safety Map - Google Maps

The boundaries aren't perfect: They can shift a few blocks in either direction, depending on who you ask, but you get the general idea. Obviously, if anybody plans on moving there, they should check out the neighborhood beforehand, especially if it's on the border of a red zone.
wow great work, I would like to see someone do the same with the other boroughs.

Old 02-12-2012, 06:52 PM

387 posts, read 679,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
I made a safety map of SI.

Staten Island Safety Map - Google Maps

The boundaries aren't perfect: They can shift a few blocks in either direction, depending on who you ask, but you get the general idea. Obviously, if anybody plans on moving there, they should check out the neighborhood beforehand, especially if it's on the border of a red zone.
I agree with this map.

Old 02-15-2012, 08:37 AM

75 posts, read 146,143 times
I agree with the map too except there are areas on the South Shore, where the prescription drugs abuse is so high, that should be added as well.

Old 02-15-2012, 11:52 AM

34,003 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchy93 View Post
wow great work, I would like to see someone do the same with the other boroughs.
checkmate can you do one for Queens and Brooklyn? If you start it up and send it to me, i'll be more than happy to proofread...and maybe somebody else can help with Manhattan and the Bronx. Then we'll put all the maps in a thread, maybe even make it a sticky....and you'll get all the cred.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 02-15-2012, 01:13 PM

1,882 posts, read 3,108,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
checkmate can you do one for Queens and Brooklyn? If you start it up and send it to me, i'll be more than happy to proofread...and maybe somebody else can help with Manhattan and the Bronx. Then we'll put all the maps in a thread, maybe even make it a sticky....and you'll get all the cred.
Yes, it would be very helpful and awesome if we could have safety maps like that for each of the boroughs. It could be "stickied" at the top of the page and save a lot of people a lot of time!

Old 02-15-2012, 01:17 PM

573 posts, read 1,462,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyway31 View Post
Yes, it would be very helpful and awesome if we could have safety maps like that for each of the boroughs. It could be "stickied" at the top of the page and save a lot of people a lot of time!
exactly! it would be very helpful for all the non-natives, like myself, who wonder what are the blocks to avoid, those fairly safe et etc

Old 02-28-2012, 06:33 PM

59 posts, read 253,690 times
Very accurate map checkmate champ13 .

Old 02-28-2012, 08:20 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,125,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidnurze View Post
I agree with the map too except there are areas on the South Shore, where the prescription drugs abuse is so high, that should be added as well.
But the thing is that I don't think it really affects the average person looking to move into the neighborhood, and something like a prescription drug bust can happen anywhere, North Shore or South Shore.

I mean, realistically, even if an area has a lot of prescription drug problems, it's not going to be of concern to the average person. I'm talking where there's a danger of being robbed or injured. When I stand by the Eltingville SIR station and see a bunch of kids hanging out, I consider that a nuisance. When I stand by the West Brighton Houses and see a bunch of kids hanging out, I consider that more of a threat (and I actually have had some personal encounters in that area).

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
For some reason, I didn't see this until now.

I'm kind of busy with school right now. I'll try to see if I can do it during my free time on the weekends.

I used to live in Brooklyn, so I'm sort of familiar with it, but the thing is that I can't make it as detailed as I would for SI, because most of my travels were confined to my one little corner of Brooklyn (and I was a young kid, so it was only where my parents would go), which is the Brighton Beach/Coney Island/Sheepshead Bay area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by merillo5 View Post
Very accurate map checkmate champ13 .
Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: