Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 08:34 PM

2,006 posts, read 4,305,676 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by missjanna74 View Post
Sadly this goes back to upbringing.

I'm probably a rare case in that I don't have kids, I have a career and I have been paying my own rent since I was 17. I was raised to be independent and to work hard for everything I get. (These transplants were not however).

I have friends who I grew up with that fell right into that very trap you speak of. The 4 kids from 3 different guys, living off welfare or barely scraping by. These are the same ones who cry all the time "where are all the good guys at?" It takes all my strength to tell them "not looking for a girl in your position, that's for sure".

Getting pregnant is no excuse either. I have a friend who was pregnant at 16, but she had the kid, still finished high school, graduated from college and went on to the Coast Guard.

On the same token, I have friends I grew up with who are college professors, business owners and screenplay writers. It's all how you were raised. One pattern I do notice however, is the girls who had multiple kids never learned from their mistakes (and still haven't) and the ones who did more with their life did.
Post of the Day, repped you already..had to "spread" the rep around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2012, 09:28 PM

1,118 posts, read 2,286,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post
Who cares? The majority [but not all] of these "gentrifiers" are white, and furthermore, neighborhoods like Harlem or The Grand Concourse aren't gentrified areas. They are still predominitely low income ghettos, and even though they have improved over the past 20 years, they're still pretty bad areas. Williamsburg, Park Slope, Greenpoint, Astoria, Chelsea etc. Those are gentrified neighborhoods. Not Harlem, Bushwick, or the South Bronx.
You can't be serious. Harlem and Bushwick are rapidly gentrifying, and the former has been for a while now. South Bronx is debatable, but showing early signs.

Old 02-20-2012, 11:10 PM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,684,999 times
maybe its the majority? some people are going to say yes i know one minority person who is a gentrifier because they are the exception, not the rule

Old 02-21-2012, 01:59 AM

877 posts, read 2,012,140 times
I honestly don't mind these transplants but the moment they open their mouth about their rich lifestyle or how "NYC is like the greatest", that's it for me. Astoria has been extremely gentrified and is filled with these yuppies. So many of these 'upscale' restaurants have opened in the last few years more than ever and so many of these all-time neighborhood gems have been closing down because there is no originality anymore. People are into this "organic", natural lifestyle.

I have a Mexican friend from San Diego who decided to move here for college with his friend. Both have a good upbringing, nice family and parents make close to 7 figure incomes yet they bash four-fifths of the city as if it's trash and praise California like its some sort of divine land when California has the highest rate of crime!

Old 02-21-2012, 09:31 AM

2,691 posts, read 4,328,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Artiste View Post
maybe its the majority? some people are going to say yes i know one minority person who is a gentrifier because they are the exception, not the rule
Right. There are A LOT of "minority" gentrifiers. Their color just blends in with the neighborhood they are gentrifying so the distinction between "us" and "them" is not as marked. When you see white people walking down Bedford Ave in Bed Stuy you can pretty much bet that they are new to the area. For a black person walking down Bedford, unless you can pick up on class distinctions by dress and mannerism, you would never know that they too are gentrifying transplants (of course until they open their mouth to speak, then that's a dead giveaway).

Old 02-21-2012, 12:13 PM

288 posts, read 566,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FOReverxpeace View Post
I honestly don't mind these transplants but the moment they open their mouth about their rich lifestyle or how "NYC is like the greatest", that's it for me. Astoria has been extremely gentrified and is filled with these yuppies. So many of these 'upscale' restaurants have opened in the last few years more than ever and so many of these all-time neighborhood gems have been closing down because there is no originality anymore. People are into this "organic", natural lifestyle.
We have seen this complaint time and time again. A healthy lifestyle destroys communities and neighborhoods. Thank god we have Monsanto who are poised to take over the food supply and feed us genetically modified sh.it food. Our communities and neighborhoods will do much better again.

Old 02-21-2012, 02:06 PM

877 posts, read 2,012,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grigou View Post
We have seen this complaint time and time again. A healthy lifestyle destroys communities and neighborhoods. Thank god we have Monsanto who are poised to take over the food supply and feed us genetically modified sh.it food. Our communities and neighborhoods will do much better again.
I'm not too concerned with the "healthy lifestyle" thing but New York is not Hollywood - most of us are not concerned with living a high-end lifestyle that means looking great, feeling great, living great at all times. Whatever happened to the "let things be the way they are" attitude in us NY'ers? Because people come here expecting so much out of life, everything is moving to the next level - simple just doesn't make the cut these days. However, I am concerned that these neighborhoods, especially in the "outer boroughs" are so populated with these yuppies, hipsters and transplants, the entire neighborhood focus is on their interests, which is a far cry from what the rest of us grew up around

Old 02-22-2012, 06:20 PM

25 posts, read 93,174 times
This is so ridiculous, so just because a guy cant or doesnt want to fight hes a worthless piece of human life? i honestly dont see anything wrong with someone moving from the midwest or wherever to new york, the hipster/yuppie hate has got to stop, its really not that serious. I understand a lot of hipsters can be annoying but at least in my opinion theyre all smarty, healthy interesting people. Id rather be a hipster than a redneck or thug, just saying.

Old 02-22-2012, 06:34 PM

400 posts, read 983,207 times
Quote:
Why do some here think that all "gentrifiers" are Non-Hispanic Whites? It seems I am not the only one to notice.
Its like saying all criminals are black.

Old 02-22-2012, 07:37 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,527,346 times
with all midwesterners moving here - i'm going 0.07%
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: