Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2012, 07:39 AM

6,680 posts, read 8,178,926 times

Advertisements

I am having an issue with my upstairs neighbor. Several mornings a week she exercises, in which she does some sort of stepping/marching for about an hour long starting about 6 or 7am. She has a wood floor. It is really effecting my sleep as it wakes me up and I am then unable to go back to sleep due to the pounding lasting an hour. I use a sound machine nightly and have tried ear plugs. Unfortunately I do not work a normal 9-5 job. My shifts are always so changing so some nights I get to sleep just a few hours before this happens. I rent from an owner in a co-op building. I have talked to the management office regarding the issue and was told they will handle it, I'm not to go talk to her. They sent her a letter regarding noise, no change. Talked to them again, they sent letter #2. Still having the issue so talked to them again, well she apparently put down an exercise mat but it obviously didn't do anything and told management that and they said sorry. She appears to be a very heavy walker in general because I hear every step she takes and anytime she moves her chair from her desk/table it is dragged on the floor. But that I can get over but the hour long stepping is draining me. Any advice on what to do regarding this situation. I am so tired constantly from her. I love my apt, my building, my location, but for this kind of quality of life issue for the money I pay is not acceptable to me.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2012, 08:44 AM

1,871 posts, read 4,248,806 times
Any reason why you didn't want to just leave a note on her door? Generally, I think that before one goes to management and makes a big deal out of a situation, its best to start with a cordial note to the occupant of the apartment who is making the noise. In many cases, that will solve it.

Often, if the first step is a call to the management office people can resent that a bit. Have you spoken to the person you are renting from? Perhaps as the owner they know the lady. That, or you could get ear plugs.

Old 02-06-2012, 10:48 AM

991 posts, read 1,760,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
I am having an issue with my upstairs neighbor. Several mornings a week she exercises, in which she does some sort of stepping/marching for about an hour long starting about 6 or 7am. She has a wood floor. It is really effecting my sleep as it wakes me up and I am then unable to go back to sleep due to the pounding lasting an hour. I use a sound machine nightly and have tried ear plugs. Unfortunately I do not work a normal 9-5 job. My shifts are always so changing so some nights I get to sleep just a few hours before this happens. I rent from an owner in a co-op building. I have talked to the management office regarding the issue and was told they will handle it, I'm not to go talk to her. They sent her a letter regarding noise, no change. Talked to them again, they sent letter #2. Still having the issue so talked to them again, well she apparently put down an exercise mat but it obviously didn't do anything and told management that and they said sorry. She appears to be a very heavy walker in general because I hear every step she takes and anytime she moves her chair from her desk/table it is dragged on the floor. But that I can get over but the hour long stepping is draining me. Any advice on what to do regarding this situation. I am so tired constantly from her. I love my apt, my building, my location, but for this kind of quality of life issue for the money I pay is not acceptable to me.
Whatever you do, don't leave a note. Just talk to your neighbour, there is nothing wrong with that. Maybe there is an arrangement where she can do her exercise in a different room or may be a little later in the day. I would also leave out the part where she is generally a heavy walking person.

Old 02-06-2012, 11:04 AM

3,072 posts, read 5,464,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugget View Post
Whatever you do, don't leave a note. Just talk to your neighbour, there is nothing wrong with that. Maybe there is an arrangement where she can do her exercise in a different room or may be a little later in the day. I would also leave out the part where she is generally a heavy walking person.
Yea, I tried the note thing when my downstairs neighbor used to blast his surround sound late at night. Left a note and never got any kind of response, but the noise stayed. Some people feel like because they pay rent they can do whatever they want. It's very infuriating.

Old 02-06-2012, 11:08 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,308,697 times
There isn't a lot you can do. However it could be that it is a New Years resolution and 90% don't last 3 months...so it may stop by March and will be a nonissue.

Old 02-06-2012, 11:17 AM

6,680 posts, read 8,178,926 times
Thanks for the replies. Unfortunately this has been going on since I moved in, in November of 2011. And I heard she is a pilates teacher so I doubt she will stop exercising but I do like the though that she may...As I said above due to it being a co-op all issues must be dealt with management so I was not to talk to her directly. I actually would've have if not told I couldn't. And I tried the ear plugs, no bueno. Just gave me an ear ache. As far as talking to the owner, I think i will try that. I didn't want to bother him since he is out of the country but he should be made aware of the fact even if he can't do anything. From what I heard the lady above me is in someones words "entitled *****" so I don't think she will stop or change up her schedule for anyone. She doesn't seem to be a sympathetic person.

Old 02-06-2012, 12:07 PM

2,848 posts, read 7,549,293 times
Earplugs?

Old 02-06-2012, 12:25 PM

2,211 posts, read 4,827,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mc33433 View Post
Earplugs?
The OP has said on 2 different occasions that she has tried earplugs and they don't work......

Old 02-06-2012, 12:28 PM

2,848 posts, read 7,549,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBrown80 View Post
The OP has said on 2 different occasions that she has tried earplugs and they don't work......

I know. I just find that hard to believe!

Old 02-06-2012, 12:33 PM

109 posts, read 342,336 times
Pay off the person living 2 stories above you, to do jumping jacks every morning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City