Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2012, 08:43 PM

217 posts, read 680,777 times

Advertisements

Finally, some sanity has been introduced into this thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2012, 09:09 AM

5,509 posts, read 7,101,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
There is more.... I need to tell you about the crying baby...
Please, do tell?

Old 02-15-2012, 12:38 PM

3,727 posts, read 7,030,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
You asked for it! I was in my Junior Year of college, and I was spending it as a visiting student at NYU. It was 1977 and the Punk Underground scene was in full swing at CBGBs.and to a lesser degree, at Max's Kansas City. I was always psychic and intuitive but I felt nothing evil when I first saw the apartment. It was on St Mark's Place between 2nd and 3rd! The hub of everything cool at the time! It faced the street so I could see from my balcony (they have since taken it down) all of the action on the street. Little did I know all of the "action" that was about to take place inside! I think decause of the most desirable location, I would have not perceived anything evil anyway, and it wouldn't have mattered anyway. I wanted that apartment!

The things I saw were witnessed by many people, some of them now famous, alas a few of them who have passed on.

The apartment was fine for the fist few months. I had a job working at Max's Kansas City as a waitress. We had to wear black T shirts with the name of the establishment printed on them. I had three. Frequently they would get lost, as would important course work for school. I also was a freelance Rock critic, and I attributed some of this to being over worked or disorganized.

A paper would disappear out of the typewriter (remember there were no computers, so this was serious!) then reappear just where I thought I left it, but a day later - enough to be annoying and to lower my grade.

One day I returned home from work and found the shower, which was in the kitchen, overflowing on to the floors! (it was a tenement - they frequently had tubs or showers in the kitchen)

Water was a frequent problem - puddles of water would appear even in the living room, where there was no source of water! My mattress was ON A LOFT BED 8" above the ground and one night I returned home and found it soaked with - greasy water.! There was no leak from the ceiling! We came to dub the water "Greasy Lake" after a lyric in a Bruce Springsteen song.

Dishes also broke spontaneously, as did glasses and light bulbs. People SAW THIS - I was having a dinner party and light bulbs popped and dishes split in half! Beer bottle exploded in peoples hands. Some people were laughing, but most of us were spooked. One was very spooked. Stiv Bators from the Dead Boys said "this place is evil!" He had a Roma (Gypsy) grandmother and said he had heard of such things. I countered that it was poltergeist activity, which I had read about. He said very firmly, "some is, but there is something else here too, and I don't like it"

All of the above continued, but escalated. I began to awaken with scratches all over my body. On my back, on places that I couldn't possibly have reached. I also began seeing a huge dark shadow person. This apparition was witnessed by others. It would pass from the air shaft at the back of the apartment through to the front window. The place almost vibrated or buzzed with electricity, when it passed! This electrical buzz was audible and palpable on many levels. My hair on my head would lift, then go back in place.

The worst event was when a few of my friends had gathered to dress for a night at a show. The proprietors of Manic Panic, the first Punk Boutique were visiting, as was my cousin from Long Island. We began to talk about the haunting and the room filled with the scent of flowers. This was NOT a pleasant aroma, it was sickeningly sweet. Almost, like a funeral where people had gone over with flowers. It was disgusting. really. When we all mentioned it out loud it became stronger, and more horrible. Then it was replaced by another smell - the smell of decaying rotting biological matter, mixed with the smell of excrement. Ugggh...just thinking about it 30 years later makes me feel ill! The "dueling smells" as we had come to call them, became a permanent feature in my apartment.

And all of the other things stayed. And got worse. I switched to paper plates.

Another thing was the greasy water - it began to appear as patches on the walls yellowy and oozy - also fowl smelling. I also had a "Greasy Lake" in the living room.

I did complain to my LL, (a devoutly Catholic Polish woman whose command of English was poor), about the water. Her first response was that I had left water on while running out of the house.( Typical LL response)

When I complained about the patches of greasy water, (I don't know what else to call this crap...) she came by with her huge nephew who looked over the place, checked the pipes etc. They were speaking rapidly in Polish and I could see that the LL was upset and flustered.

I asked the nephew what was wrong and he rolled his eyes and said "My Aunt thinks it is Devil" As she left the house she crossed herself.

The next day she returned with a plastic bottle of Holy Water. And scurried away from my door, once again making the sign of the cross.
I am Protestant, but I accepted the Holy Water. I was begining to think is might have been "Devil"

There is more.... I need to tell you about the crying baby...
Shadow people are so creepy. My ex and I had an experience together that I'll never forget. Fortunately, it didn't come back.

Glad you got out of that. I've been scared a few times, but never to the point that I had to leave a place.

Old 03-04-2012, 03:24 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,963,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
It's only valid if you start from the premise that there's actually such a thing as haunting. That hasn't been scientifically proven.
But this thread has been started with the supposition that a place IS haunted, so it is not up to anyone here to prove anything is scientifically factual to anyone else.

Posting here with the request for scientific evidence is tantamount to a Christian saying something is or is not biblical on a Science thread. It is just an attempt to deflect a good conversation into something else.

Old 03-04-2012, 04:12 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,117,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
But this thread has been started with the supposition that a place IS haunted, so it is not up to anyone here to prove anything is scientifically factual to anyone else.

Posting here with the request for scientific evidence is tantamount to a Christian saying something is or is not biblical on a Science thread. It is just an attempt to deflect a good conversation into something else.
You can't honestly expect to start a conversation about something that many believe is a figment of imagination, and not have someone point this out. This is WHY we have conversations and discussions, because many have different points of view. There is absolutely nothing wrong with pointing out that the ghost may not exist. It is not an attempt at "deflecting" anything -- it is simply a part of the conversation.

And by the way, this is not the "Haunted" forum. It's the NYC forum.

Old 03-04-2012, 07:50 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,233,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by surftb15 View Post
I just moved into an apartment in West Village. As some of you recall, my old landlord bought me out in my co-op lease. I subletted a studio and was getting cramped. I rented a new floor through in a West Village brownstone.

Here is the problem:

The apartment is haunted.

the first day I move in, the water faucet started turning on and off by itself. I was like "Whatever, old place". that has happened everyday since. Also, glasses break randomly even when they are in a cabinet.

2 days ago, I started hearing footsteps in the apartment and I couldn't stop feeling shivers.

I spoke to the lady downstairs and she said that 4 people moved out within the last year without explaining why.

I called the landlord and he said that I can stay with a rent reduction or move out without penatly.

I really like the place..should I hire one of those psychic mediums or whatever to try to ride the place of the ghost?
I think you should look for some sort of medium or spirit guide. Now, where you find a good one, I have no idea.

Old 03-04-2012, 08:29 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,233,404 times
I personally have not experienced anything paranormal. But my wife has and so have some of her family members. I do believe people have some sort of life energy, or soul, whatever you want to call it.

Old 03-05-2012, 06:38 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,586,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by surftb15 View Post
I called the landlord and he said that I can stay with a rent reduction or move out without penatly.
You told the landlord that the apartment was haunted and without a second thought, he offered to lower your rent? Stay right where you are! You're not going to find another landlord like that.

Old 03-05-2012, 08:49 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,048,523 times
I told my landlord the same thing. He told me that he can send an exterminator.

Old 03-05-2012, 12:56 PM

38 posts, read 85,492 times
Who wants to buy a house: 'Amityville Horror' house back on market, for $1.15M.........

newsday.com/classifieds/real-estate/amityville-horror-house-back-on-market-for-1-15m-1.1945998
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City