Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2008, 06:41 AM

1,867 posts, read 4,078,692 times

Advertisements

This thread is hilarious. I'm a nostalgic person, I would hate it if there was any change to NYC aside from possibly having SI secede to Jersey. I've been there twice and visited people at their very suburban looking home with even a pool in the yard.

I agree with those that find places which border the city have a very different vibe from NYC and would never really fit in. Be that good or bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2008, 09:07 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,939,050 times
Um, Jersey city isn't even big enough to be considered a borough. There would need to be a borough attached to another part of NYC so it could be more accessible. Who would want to go to yet another borough by a bridge? Why not have Brooklyn, Queens, and Nassau all right beside one another so you wouldn't need to pay a toll to get to the new borough.

Old 12-26-2008, 09:13 AM

88 posts, read 269,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
Um, Jersey city isn't even big enough to be considered a borough. There would need to be a borough attached to another part of NYC so it could be more accessible. Who would want to go to yet another borough by a bridge? Why not have Brooklyn, Queens, and Nassau all right beside one another so you wouldn't need to pay a toll to get to the new borough. I just cannot understand the reasoning for these people from NJ.
You can geto Manhattan quicker from Jersey City then parts of Brooklyn and Queens and definitley Staten Island. That's the reasoning I used for suggesting Jersey City but like I said before its not ever going to happen because JC is not part of NY State.

Also size wise Manhattan is only 23 sq miles so it is not large at all and population would probally boom in JC if it became apart of NYC, but its not going to so it doesn't really matter.

Old 12-26-2008, 09:36 AM

5,265 posts, read 16,591,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Technically, yes. But perceptions are things you can't put on a stat sheet or a graph. I'm with you, Rachael: New York is New York, and New Jersey is New Jersey.

As to the question of secession, I'm all for New York City as a separate state. We wouldn't be under the suffocating bureaucracy known as Albany which, if you investigate the history, has been living off the city for nearly 300 years.

There was actually a state legislator from somewhere up in the Adirondacks who proposed redrawing the state's southern border--he wanted to excommunicate NYC. I was honestly hoping the legislature would consider that motion. New York City makes up slightly more than 32% of the state's population--yet we certainly don't get anything like one third of the state budget allocation. When all those people upstate start dancing in the streets at the thought of being rid of New York City, the party will come to a screeching halt when someone points out what's going to happen to their taxes if they haven't got us to leech off.

And without our eight million residents, New York State's electoral vote count in the next election will put it at the same general level of importance as, say, North Dakota.

As you can see, I'm fully prepared for state of New Amsterdam! (Capital, Manhattan. Largest city, Brooklyn).
Everyone from Syracuse westward would be dancing in the streets because we would leave you guys with Albany! You already own it anyways. That level of political importance comment is prime example of downstate ignorance of upstate.....North Dakota has a population of about 650k, there are far more people than that in Monroe County (Rochester) alone! ....Upstate NY (north of Orange/Putnam counties) has a population of over 6 million. We'd be a major swing state and probably some of the most heavily competed electorate votes in the country.

The 6th borogh of NYC is Albany.

Old 12-26-2008, 11:18 AM

3,003 posts, read 6,092,238 times
MANHATTAN MANHATTAN MANHATTAN. LOL a borough is not defined by how close it is too manhattan. In Every borough(besides staten island) you can get to manhattan in either 5 minutes or 20. At the end of the day it makes no differance because its all the same city. Jersey city is a completely seperate city located on the otherside of a river. Cmon thats close but its not like you have to just cross a stateline and your there, like ppl on here try to make it

Old 12-26-2008, 11:20 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,939,050 times
^^ Exactly. I think most people would rather drive an extra 10 minutes compared to paying $10 round trip to get to another borough.

Old 12-26-2008, 11:45 AM

1,302 posts, read 4,574,534 times
Why stop at 6 why not 7? Hudson County and Yonkers.

Old 12-26-2008, 12:11 PM

1,302 posts, read 4,574,534 times
I don't understand why NYers and New Jerseyians keep separating themselves from each other. Especially Hudson County. To me Hudson county resembles NYC from its glamorous areas to its gritty areas. I don't see how different an area could be seperated by less than 3 miles. Any other city in the country would consider their equivalents of the distances from NYC to Hudson, Essex, Union, and Bergen counties to basically be their city even if it is out of city limits. Rather you like it or not the Jersey City Skyline effects the Manhattan skyline from certain angles and it has some of NYC's most notable structures in its city limits (Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island.) The people talk alike, are in the same metro area, use the same central city, and act alike. To me it is all NYC, sorry NJ. Maybe it is some superior and/or inferior complexes between the two. NYC is too large of a city and growing too fast to stay within its current city limits. It all is bascially NYC anyway so it would just make things easier to annex hudson county from New Jersey and add on Yonkers. Jersey City, Hoboken, and Weehawkeen will be basically an addition to Manhattan and Yonkers will basically be an addition to the Bronx.

Old 12-26-2008, 01:20 PM

718 posts, read 2,325,345 times
You people are a bunch of lost puppys at the kennel that nobody has claimed.

Realize that proximity to Manhattan does not determine a borough. Newcomers, life does not revolve around Manhattan.

To all the clowns who think anything in Hudson County should be a borough instead of Staten Island, realize that Brooklynites moved to SI because it was part of NY. If SI was in New Jersey, they would have never moved there. Also, there is one dump inside city limits. Adding Hudson County to the mix would add a second, and would never happen. Why would anyone downgrade when you can upgrade and add scenic Westchester County and its bankroll of tax revenue, or Nassau County to get more beaches? With that said, there will be no sixth borough ever.

The tri state area is interesting because you have Manhattan, the rest of NY, NJ, and CT, which are all vastly different areas in a small space. These people usually congregate in Manhattan but live different lives in their respective places, although their neighborhoods may look similar to something else in the area. Realize that common ground is not in the appearance of the neighborhood, but it is by the people themselves. Back in the day, accents and traditions could vary from neighborhood to neighborhood. Now those boundaries have been blurred as people branch out more and culture is lost. But make no mistake, there are still local differences. Always celebrate differences in life instead of trying to unite everyone into one bland flavor.

Last edited by DITC; 12-26-2008 at 01:30 PM..

Old 12-26-2008, 02:24 PM

3,003 posts, read 6,092,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian View Post
I don't understand why NYers and New Jerseyians keep separating themselves from each other. Especially Hudson County. To me Hudson county resembles NYC from its glamorous areas to its gritty areas. I don't see how different an area could be seperated by less than 3 miles. Any other city in the country would consider their equivalents of the distances from NYC to Hudson, Essex, Union, and Bergen counties to basically be their city even if it is out of city limits. Rather you like it or not the Jersey City Skyline effects the Manhattan skyline from certain angles and it has some of NYC's most notable structures in its city limits (Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island.) The people talk alike, are in the same metro area, use the same central city, and act alike. To me it is all NYC, sorry NJ. Maybe it is some superior and/or inferior complexes between the two. NYC is too large of a city and growing too fast to stay within its current city limits. It all is bascially NYC anyway so it would just make things easier to annex hudson county from New Jersey and add on Yonkers. Jersey City, Hoboken, and Weehawkeen will be basically an addition to Manhattan and Yonkers will basically be an addition to the Bronx.
A new yorker- Someone born in manhattan, bronx, brooklyn, queens or staten island. Most nyers know squat about jersey, So its not all nyc basically.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City