Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 04:21 PM

757 posts, read 3,363,354 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustla718 View Post
Pleasant Ave (gotta love the name), way on the east side. A lot of Mafia people. Not exactly "pleasant" but the Italians held on to it well into the 1990's.
Before the Italians, it was Jewish. My Jewish grandmother was born there in 1901 to a comfortably middle class couple, both immigrants from Russia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2008, 10:25 PM

1 posts, read 4,532 times
Smile god jesus christ and the holy ghost is what they called him!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CIMMINO270 View Post
Just Wanted To Fish Around And See If Anybody Here Might Of Known My Dads Family? They Have All Passed Away! My Great Grandfather: Don Mario/ My Grandfather: Willie Main/ My Uncle: Philip "philly Rags" ? Thanks For Your Time!

it me your cousin bobby.... calll me....702-587-8352

Old 04-30-2008, 12:02 AM

757 posts, read 3,363,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CIMMINO270 View Post
Just Wanted To Fish Around And See If Anybody Here Might Of Known My Dads Family? They Have All Passed Away! My Great Grandfather: Don Mario/ My Grandfather: Willie Main/ My Uncle: Philip "philly Rags" ? Thanks For Your Time!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbee bee View Post
it me your cousin bobby.... calll me....
A family reunited on this board!!! I love it!

Old 04-30-2008, 01:39 PM

11 posts, read 20,397 times
What difference does it make? No self respecting "HUMAN BEING" would ever step foot in that old neighborhood unless they were in desperate need of Focaccia bread. My income prevented me then from engaging in neighborhod shenanigans, so you know now, my quantum fortune forbades me from having my servants drive m to see how poor people live

Old 04-30-2008, 01:58 PM

718 posts, read 2,325,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCrimelord View Post
What difference does it make? No self respecting "HUMAN BEING" would ever step foot in that old neighborhood unless they were in desperate need of Focaccia bread. My income prevented me then from engaging in neighborhod shenanigans, so you know now, my quantum fortune forbades me from having my servants drive m to see how poor people live
What difference does it make? ...because it was a nice neighborhood back in the day. People who didnt have the "quantum fortune" you have lived in a tight knit community in East Harlem.

Old 07-17-2008, 02:49 AM

3 posts, read 11,665 times
Default MY 1960s CHILDHOOD

I grew up on 120st and pleasent ave,445 e.120 st apt 16a,and went to p.s 78 and p.s 45.i remember scotties candy store on 119st who made my egg cream.i new patsy as a kid.my father always dressed up and went to patsy,he went to the back were the men meet,and the kids had pizza,and all i heard was "you say nothing"next door was great lemon ice. The kids with the stickball bats used to watch me.no one bothered me.im trying to look up all the thing about were i grew up.

Old 07-17-2008, 05:33 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,603,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbro View Post
Before the Italians, it was Jewish. My Jewish grandmother was born there in 1901 to a comfortably middle class couple, both immigrants from Russia.
Wasn't the Jewish section of the neighborhood a little further west? I don't think it extended to Pleasant Avenue--I know it was centered around Mount Morris Park.

Old 07-31-2008, 08:16 AM

3 posts, read 11,665 times
yes,also there was some jewish people in my building

Old 10-06-2008, 01:53 PM

1 posts, read 4,239 times
I went up to Italian Harlem Recently.
And it still does have Italian Flavor.

There still are Italian Residents.
Infact, the Giglio Feast takes place on Pleasant Avenue Every summer.

The Church also has some Mass in Italian Language.
Raos and Patsy's are still going strong.

The Neighborhood is there, and has not dissapeared.

It may not be as obvious as in past years, but take a walk around the neighborhood.
Italian Harlem is there, Living , and I would say even growing again !

The Feast is packed every summer.

Old 10-07-2008, 01:20 PM

13,650 posts, read 20,777,671 times
Rent "The Young Savages", a Burt Lancaster movie made around 1960 or so. Takes place in Italian Harlem and deals with an Italian gang murdering a Puerto Rican. Some good location shots of the area back then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City