Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 02:12 PM

9 posts, read 19,373 times

Advertisements

I have a job opportunity in Wilton, CT and a friend who needs a roommate for his apartment on w108th st in Manhattan.

The apartment is rent controlled, and the rent would be significantly cheaper than if I were to find a 1br or studio apartment in the Fairfield County area, so I'm considering the option.

How long would be commute be?

I know the CT to NYC commute is common, how realistic is the reverse?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2012, 02:24 PM

2,894 posts, read 5,885,482 times
It would save you money after you factor in commuting costs?

How about getting a roomate in CT instead?

Also you should consider the time you'll spend commuting, is your time worth it? (ie; opporunity costs of doing something else with that time.)

Old 02-09-2012, 04:01 PM

Yes, even with the monthly metro north cost I'll still be paying much less than I would find for a 1br or studio in that area, even less so considering the amount I'd save on car insurance and gas.

A roommate isn't ideal for me, I went through living with enough random kooks from craigslist in college to completely turn me off the idea of living with someone I don't already know.

I'm more or less trying to figure out how long the commute will take me so I can decide if it'd be worth it or not.

Old 02-09-2012, 04:08 PM

2,848 posts, read 7,549,293 times
And you'll pay higher income taxes living in NYC. Have you considered that?

Old 02-09-2012, 05:00 PM

Yes, I've also taken that into consideration..and I understand the cost of living will be higher, but at 23 there's also the quality of life and things to do that I'd like to take into consideration as well.

Right now its more a question of the commute that would be giving me second thoughts, if someone would be able to give me an idea of what I'd be looking at I'd appreciate that.

Old 02-09-2012, 05:10 PM

2,628 posts, read 4,591,322 times
Not worth it.

It's a 2 1/2 - 3 hour commute.

Old 02-09-2012, 05:13 PM

9,238 posts, read 23,966,138 times
In theory the commute might not be that bad.The M60 bus goes from the neighborhood you are thinking about to the 125th st metro north station in 10 or 15 minutes.

A key question is how close your employment place is to a metro north station, how frequently there are trains stopping there and how you plan to get from the station to your job.A place like Wilton may not have great service but there might be better service to New Canaan or Westport.Train should be about an hour if it's a through train.

The most important factor is probably the proximity and logistics at the Connecticut end.

Old 02-09-2012, 05:16 PM

2,628 posts, read 4,591,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
In theory the commute might not be that bad.The M60 bus goes from the neighborhood you are thinking about to the 125th st metro north station in 10 or 15 minutes.

A key question is how close your employment place is to a metro north station, how frequently there are trains stopping there and how you plan to get from the station to your job.A place like Wilton may not have great service but there might be better service to New Canaan or Westport.Train should be about an hour if it's a through train.

The most important factor is probably the proximity and logistics at the Connecticut end.
I tracked it during rush hour. It looks like the closest Metro North station is Danbury, but it looks like he would have to transfer trains in Norwalk. It's the CT end that makes it longer.

Old 02-09-2012, 05:19 PM

9,238 posts, read 23,966,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missjanna74 View Post
Not worth it.

It's a 2 1/2 - 3 hour commute.
Definitely doesn't have to be a 2.5 or 3 hr commute.There is a train that leaves 125th st at 7:34 and gets to New Canaan( next to Wilton) at 8:39.There might be more possibilities going to Westport or Norwalk.

Might not work for Op but might .In such a scenario the commute would probably be 1.5 hours including M60 bus to 125th st station.

The biggest factor is getting from the train station in CT to the job.

Old 02-09-2012, 05:30 PM

3 posts, read 29,092 times
I did it for a year (UES to Fairfield). It worked for me because my office was walkable from the MNR station. If that isn't the case, I'm not sure it would work. If it is the case, then go for it. The commute is pretty terrible, but at least you will have the city on the weekends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City