Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2012, 01:06 PM

2,664 posts, read 5,634,292 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by likeminas View Post
I think this is a matter of courtesy also.

People that come in into the subway, ready to have 'dinner' are not considerate with their fellow straphangers. Not everybody wants to smell your food, and look at you eating that saucy spaghetti plate while you make noises to suck them in.
Nor people want to have food spilled onto them when the subway conductor hits the breakes.

I can assure you that if food was banned, and the rule was actually enforced via fines, less people would eat and the city would have a significantly less rat and roach problem. We all know the subway is breeding ground for them. And people eating in the subway are only making things worse for all of us.

As for people with diabetes or any other condition, I'm sure most of them plan accordingly and eat 'BEFORE' getting in the subway.

And that you work so much and don't have time is also not a valid excuse.
Good point, but what if someone has a little snack? One blind ban doesn't seem reasonable. I wouldn't wanna ride around next to spaghetti people either. Serious question to subway commuters: How often do you see people throwing the above described feasts? Is it common? I am just asking cause I only rode the subway a few times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2012, 01:10 PM

3,052 posts, read 4,304,828 times
I work 12-13 hour shifts on my feet with little reprieve and an 1hr 15 min commute one way and I'll be darned if I can't have a wrap or sandwich on the way.

Old 02-10-2012, 01:16 PM

2,871 posts, read 4,791,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grigou
here we go again. Bearded transplant yupsters forcing their ill-conceived notions of order and cleanliness upon us. Can you picture it? One of those effeminate beard-donning mid-westerners sitting in their room somewhere in bushwick while gun fire goes off all around their building, writing to their congressman that back in wisconsin people don't eat when taking public transportation and that it should be banned here if the city expects to cater to the bearded yupsters.

And then they call their dad who set up their trustfund thanks to which they can afford their vertiginous rent in an overhyped neighborhood who in turn calls some politician friend of theirs who then introduces a bill that totally ignores what new yorkers want (constitutionally guarantee to live in filth and stench) and only caters to bearded transplant yupsters who want to transform this once great city into a midwestern suburb.

They've done it again.
↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxbabeechick View Post
repped!
LOL...You've been punked! grigou is our official sarcastic poster, he totally disagrees with you. Don't feel bad he got me too.

Old 02-10-2012, 01:22 PM

7,844 posts, read 13,233,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxbabeechick View Post
Ok good, but this thread was about bans on eating on the subway.

Glad we got that out of the way.

Did you read the article at all? What is the ban about? What was my biggest argument in all my posts? These are just excerpts:

A local lawmaker is pushing a bill to ban eating in the subway to help cut down on vermin — but the measure is already causing some straphangers to lose their lunch.

“I’ve seen people open up plates of french fries and chicken and have a grand old meal — and then discard their stuff on the track,†Perkins told The Post. “The question becomes, ‘How can we minimize the feasts that rats are experiencing?’ By trying to control human behaviors.â€

Cash from fines would feed a litter-prevention fund.

But backers of the bill said subway snackers need better manners.

Perkins said he cooked up the bill after serving up 15,000 surveys in his uptown district and finding that the biggest contributors to big-bellied rats are sloppy straphangers whose litter feeds their “rampaging†population.

Read more: New York Senate bill would ban food on all subways, platforms - NYPOST.com

Old 02-10-2012, 01:36 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,914,400 times
Even if it does become a law, no one will do anything about it when someone breaks it.

Old 02-10-2012, 01:40 PM

3,052 posts, read 4,304,828 times
The point is you have a problem with people being SLOBS on the subway. So do I! However there are multiple ways to be a slob that have nothing to do with a vital function like eating.

Therefore, a ban on eating on the subway isn't appropriate. End story.

Old 02-10-2012, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post
Even if it does become a law, no one will do anything about it when someone breaks it.
Exactly. I don't see the city paying to have NYPD handing out fines for eating. That's insane. But it goes back to why make a law or rule and then not enforce it? I remember them banning hot liquids on the trains. I said to myself, "This is NEVER going to pass." I can't see a cop having to issue a fine because someone spilled their DD coffee. People need to eat and drink, absolutely but there's a lot of people out there without common sense or manners.

Old 02-10-2012, 01:49 PM

2,894 posts, read 5,905,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post
If it does become law, I hope they enforce it fully.
Start fining offenders with $25 tickets. Then $50 for second offense, and 3rd offense $150

use all raised cash to help eradicate rats and roaches from the subway system.

When you start hitting people where it hurts (usually their wallet) is when they start listening.

Old 02-10-2012, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by likeminas View Post
If it does become law, I hope they enforce it fully.
Start fining offenders with $25 tickets. Then $50 for second offense, and 3rd offense $150

use all raised cash to help eradicate rats and roaches from the subway system.

When you start hitting people where it hurts (usually their wallet) is when start listening.
According to the article, the money from the fines is supposed to be used for clean-up. I think $250 is just excessive and not reasonable. I don't know how they can track repeat offenders but $25 each time doesn't sound that excessive. I was on the bus one day and right next to me is a roach was walking up the side towards the window. I almost trampled the woman sitting next to me so I could get out of the seat. I don't need to bring home any hitch-hikers lol

Old 02-10-2012, 02:00 PM

2,628 posts, read 4,609,958 times
Let's be realistic, this will never be enforced. I rarely see cops on the subway as it is, let alone them handing out summonses on the train for any number of violations we see on a daily basis.

While I have been guilty of eating on the subway, I try to be considerate about it. If it's something I can't eat comfortably while seated next to someone I wait until i get off the train to eat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City