Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 04:48 PM

458 posts, read 615,929 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Correct, but it is a first step in the process.
Sure is a long process, then. And one that is turning a lot of people off before it really gets started.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
You have to get involved and go out and do your own research. Talk so some of the protesters at your local rally (not the nut jobs, but the educated citizens). You'll be surprised with the diversity of ideas coming out of the movement.
That's where all my opinions on OWS come from. I don't read the news articles on them for the same reasons you cite. All my opinions on OWS are from first-hand experiences at protests and their camp. And diversity of ideas is not a good thing (assuming by diversity you mean variation, not plurality) in a single political movement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
I guess when a dimwit is stuck for a sane argument, he can always criticize punctuation and typos.
Works for school marms.
Well, that was one small sentence at the end of a significant post, did you see?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2012, 08:23 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,119,439 times
If you were actually talking to protesters you'd realize that the diversity of the group signified the breadth of the problem. You can choose to believe whatever you want to believe. Just know that the world is in a constant state of evolution. It helps to keep up.

Old 02-24-2012, 09:25 PM

15,580 posts, read 15,647,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Completely aside from their politics or their agenda, how does Occupy Wall Street have any credibility remaining when the whole thing broke up as soon as the weather got cold? Now that springtime approaches, all of a sudden they're "regrouping." I didn't realize that protests had to be conducted according to the season.
I don't understand why you think that they were supposed to stay out there without conventional sanitary facilities, sleeping on concrete, with nighttime winter temperatures. Why would you expect or demand that? Do you expect that of other groups? Do you expect that of dedicated politicians? (And, by the way, if they get sick out in the cold all winter, would you contribute to their medical care? I'm guessing they're largely without health insurance.)

As it is, it seems to me they've shown more willingness to endure discomfort than the Tea Partiers, or pretty much anything else.

Old 02-24-2012, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
I don't understand why you think that they were supposed to stay out there without conventional sanitary facilities, sleeping on concrete, with nighttime winter temperatures.
Because they said they would very clearly.

Old 02-24-2012, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
If you were actually talking to protesters you'd realize that the diversity of the group signified the breadth of the problem.
It could just as easily be a result of the lack of direction in the movement which allows it to draw different groups who want different things. Actually, that seems more likely to me because OWS has not done anything noteworthy yet, undoubtedly due to not having any unified ideas of something noteworthy to do besides generic protests against generic problems.

Old 02-25-2012, 12:17 AM

387 posts, read 679,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
See I'm not worried about that if he was president, even though he definitely has shown total disregard for personal liberty as mayor. He wouldn't be able to get his ultra-liberal nanny government ideas through Congress. The only area in which the President wields extremely strong influence is in regards to the budget, and that's Bloomberg's strongpoint.
I would worry about his position on energy as well. He doesn't strike me as the type that will drill the gulf or Alaska dry. Look at Obama, he has made it impossible dor oil companies to do business in the gulf. The premit proxess used to take 3 months, now it takes 18 months, with no approval gurrantes

There are other ways to safe guard deep sea drilling, but that's another topic for another day.

Old 02-25-2012, 12:35 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,158,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester2138 View Post
Because they said they would very clearly.
Guessing the raiding of the camp by the police, the fence that was put up afterward, and the amount of police that are currently stationed at the park with fences on hand if needed has nothing to do with the camp not sticking it out through the winter? I am pretty sure none of the camps would of broken up and left without being forced out.

Old 02-25-2012, 10:59 AM

2,871 posts, read 4,790,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
(And, by the way, if they get sick out in the cold all winter, would you contribute to their medical care? I'm guessing they're largely without health insurance.)
Unbelievable! So now we need to pay for these precious snowflakes when they get sick from the weather during their protest?
WTF........Loving in a bubble?

Old 02-25-2012, 11:03 AM

2,871 posts, read 4,790,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Guessing the raiding of the camp by the police, the fence that was put up afterward, and the amount of police that are currently stationed at the park with fences on hand if needed has nothing to do with the camp not sticking it out through the winter? I am pretty sure none of the camps would of broken up and left without being forced out.
They're going to be forced out again regardless of the weather. So what next. Regroup and come back in summer? I think what many here are trying to make you understand is this group doesn't seem to have enough organization or the moxie to stay the course.

Old 02-25-2012, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
I don't know if it was you but somebody asked the exact same thing earlier in the thread. This has already been talked about.

Edit: It was you (short term memory?). Here's my response: //www.city-data.com/forum/new-y...l#post23043556
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City