Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2007, 09:26 PM

842 posts, read 4,308,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mead View Post
Good stuff.

Yeah Bayside is kind of similar setup to the West Portal area in San Francisco. It has a transit point near the center of the neighborhood (the LIRR in Bayside and the street car station in West Portal) and it has a nice downtown similar to what they have in West Portal. Outside of that its mostly residential with single family houses and townhouses. I think in West Portal the population is more Irish & Chinese while in Bayside you're going to find more Italians & Koreans (with some Irish & Chinese thrown in there as well). Luckily for you I don't think there are really any Asian gangs to speak of in the city. I mean yeah there are the triads and whatnot, but I don't think they actually operate out in the open by shooting at eat other and whatnot.

My only reccomendation for you would be to not trust any of the realtors. This applies to all of the country, but especially in this area. They are only out to get their commission. Make sure you do a lot of research before you sign your lease.
Asian gangs in New York City do exist. The last I heard, there is an Asian gang task force situated in Flushing and Chinatown
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2007, 09:39 PM

2,806 posts, read 16,367,797 times
Yeah but I really haven't heard of them gunning each other down in the streets, which apparently they are doing out on the west coast.

Supposedly there are Westies up in our area, but I've never seen them or met any of them. Thats what I'm saying. I'm sure there are a good number of Asian gang members in the city, but as long as they aren't doing anything out in public, then why should I really care?

Old 09-06-2007, 10:00 PM

842 posts, read 4,308,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mead View Post
Yeah but I really haven't heard of them gunning each other down in the streets, which apparently they are doing out on the west coast.

Supposedly there are Westies up in our area, but I've never seen them or met any of them. Thats what I'm saying. I'm sure there are a good number of Asian gang members in the city, but as long as they aren't doing anything out in public, then why should I really care?
Ok, I never said you should care. I just said they exist

Old 09-06-2007, 10:59 PM

149 posts, read 458,290 times
Very cool. Hypothetically, if I were to move to Bay-side or somewhere in the radius how much of a pain is it to commute to Manhattan multiple times per week. Is this something that is common? Does it take hours? I'm also trying to find out what kind of commute I'm looking at to get to and from auditions in Manhattan. For instance, I live about 8 miles from Hollywood. Without extreme traffic ( 4-7 p.m.) it takes me about 45 minutes give or take. With traffic it's a good hour to go about 8-10 miles. Now I realize that it's a completely different system with the public transportation but what would the commute time look at - ballpark figure. Thanks!!!

Old 09-07-2007, 08:51 AM

2,806 posts, read 16,367,797 times
Yeah you're probably not going to want to drive into Manhattan. The subways and trains around here are pretty good at getting you to where you need to be.

Where approximately is your job going to be? Do you know the neighborhood that it is in?

From Bayside you can take the LIRR from the station located right in Bayside to Penn Station which is on the west-side of Midtown on 33rd st. During rushour the ride will take 25-30 minutes and the cost is $7, although if you purchase a monthly pass (which everyone does if you are commuting on a regular basis) it costs $154. I have read though that it might be difficult finding a seat on the LIRR trains leaving from Bayside into the city.

Alternatively you could take the 13 bus from Bayside to Flushing and use your free transfer to get on the 7 subway and take that into the city. This only costs $2 per trip, or $76 for a monthly metrocard, but it is going to take a lot longer to get into the city doing this, I'd say at least an hour to get to Grand Central (30 minutes on the bus, 30 minutes on the subway).

So if you were to be working in midtown that would be the easiest. It becomes more trick if you are working downtown around Wall St, or alternatively up on the Upper East/West side.

Old 09-07-2007, 06:02 PM

I don't have work lined up yet and probably wont before we move. I'm a bartender so I'm thinking that there should be no shortage of restaurants/bars in the area to look for employment once we arrive.

Definately will have some savings to get us through the first month or so just in case. I have to research the catering scene out there. It's big business out here during the right seasons and I can pretty much bartend as much or as little as I want. There again though is the transportation difference. Sometimes I drive all over l.a. county to different events. I'm not sure how the industry works out there.

I do know that the majority of auditioning will be done in midtown so I'm anticipating on having to go there at least a few times per week (hopefully!)

I did some research on bayside and it looks really nice and what we are looking for. You are good Mead, you are good! We decided that we wouldn't really want to be right in the heart of the city, at least the first year. I want to be cautious about being overwhelmed by the city and I think that if we can live a little outside the city at first it might make the adjustment a bit easier. While we definately want a change from the style out here we do enjoy taking the dog for a walk around the neighborhood. Lots of grass for the dog!

By the way does the $7 dollar ticket get you both ways or just one way?

Old 09-07-2007, 06:22 PM

2,541 posts, read 11,334,237 times
Ridgewood, Maspeth, Middle village in Queens is a good area for you. Good diversity there.

Old 09-07-2007, 06:30 PM

33 posts, read 157,070 times
Overall I agree with Mead since I was also considering Bayside since it is very nice, although I think the S.F. comparison will leave you extremely disappointed. Also Bayside has an area called Bay Terrace where there are a lot of very nice apartment bldgs. but you will definitely need a car there as it has a more suburban feel/layoutt. This area is not w/ in walking distance to the LIRR. I think you are in for a commute of more than an hour door to door in Bayside and Bay Terrace.

Here is a links that may be helpful to you for subway, bus and LIRR info.
MTA - Maps

Rego Park has large apartments in your price range and its about 30 min. into the city but i am not a fan of this area and am looking to leave (but that is just my opinion). It's safe and by the looks of the sidewalks, there are a TON of dogs in the area. You would not need a car in this area but it would be a nice luxury.

Old 09-07-2007, 06:51 PM

1,121 posts, read 6,553,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmj View Post
By the way does the $7 dollar ticket get you both ways or just one way?
One way.

If you're set on Bayside, it's either bus to subway($2 and free trasfer), express bus($5 and free transfer), or the LIRR($7 or so dollars, peak hours, and no transfer) to Manhattan. It all depends on what section you live and which of those 3 are closer to you.

Old 09-07-2007, 07:31 PM

Thank you all very much for the help and recommendations. I really really appreciate it.

Strawberry if Rego is something you think I may like, what is it that you dont? Just curious. Thanks again
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City