Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 02:41 PM

51 posts, read 120,418 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc33433 View Post
Yes, as I said, we are also here by choice since we could go somewhere else.
But then based on the response, it seemed like the sentiment was that if you were born here and stayed, it wasn't as active a decision and effort to get up and come here from somewhere else. I'm not sure which perspective is being asked for. Maybe both.
I didn't mean it like that. I meant if you were born here and stayed because of obligation.
I'm asking for both perspectives if that's alright.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2012, 02:54 PM

19,047 posts, read 13,964,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missjanna74 View Post
Where were you looking? According to one website my ideal place was Richmond, VA but not sure I want to move there. I also considered PA, AZ, NV and TX.
CO or Upstate. Probably Upstate first then Colorado when I retire. I was stationed there for a few years and fell in love with the state. I shouldn't have left.

Old 02-15-2012, 02:58 PM

19,047 posts, read 13,964,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aesthetic_Mess View Post
Is it really hard being somewhere you don't want to be? Do you just tolerate it then?
(There's no sarcasm in that question)
Well for me it's not like I'm depressed or anything that I'm still here. My life is actually better than it's ever been. That said, I see a way to make it even better and that involves getting the hell out of this over-bearing city. My job is too good to leave and I only need to do it for 10 more years, so while I'll likely move out of the City soon, I'm not leaving the immediate area for awhile. Ten years from almost right now, I'll be on a highway headed west for good.

Old 02-15-2012, 04:50 PM

1,409 posts, read 5,250,356 times
I am deeply in love with NYC. I'm approaching the two decade mark and I still love it as much as I did when I first got off the plane with a suitcase and a couple of hundred bucks in my pocket.

From my first childhood visit, I knew. And as soon as I was of age, I made the leap. There have been times when I've flirted with other cities, but I always come home to NYC. The only other city I would consider is Paris.

Old 02-15-2012, 05:25 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,077,765 times
Quote:
It doesn't seem like any of you are really here by choice.

Is it really hard being somewhere you don't want to be? Do you just tolerate it then?
(There's no sarcasm in that question)
On the contrary.When I moved to NYC to go to grad school I had absolutely no intention of staying.I came here only because I got a full scholarship at Columbia School of Social Work ,so I had to.I dreaded the idea of moving here.

Within a short period of time I had a complete reversal of thinking and realized that I would never want to leave.That was a long time ago and I have had numerous opportunities to move elsewhere.No thanks.

I'm definitely here by choice.

Old 02-15-2012, 08:49 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,296,212 times
I was born in Hawaii and always "knew" that I wanted to live in New York. Many people are surprised that anyone would every want to leave Hawaii, but I was miserable there.

Geography is not destiny, at least not in the US.

Old 02-16-2012, 07:13 AM

51 posts, read 120,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpsonDowns View Post
I am deeply in love with NYC. I'm approaching the two decade mark and I still love it as much as I did when I first got off the plane with a suitcase and a couple of hundred bucks in my pocket.

From my first childhood visit, I knew. And as soon as I was of age, I made the leap. There have been times when I've flirted with other cities, but I always come home to NYC. The only other city I would consider is Paris.
I've never heard of someone actually being "in love" with the City.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
On the contrary.When I moved to NYC to go to grad school I had absolutely no intention of staying.I came here only because I got a full scholarship at Columbia School of Social Work ,so I had to.I dreaded the idea of moving here.

Within a short period of time I had a complete reversal of thinking and realized that I would never want to leave.That was a long time ago and I have had numerous opportunities to move elsewhere.No thanks.

I'm definitely here by choice.
What made you change your thinking?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpk-nyc View Post
I was born in Hawaii and always "knew" that I wanted to live in New York. Many people are surprised that anyone would every want to leave Hawaii, but I was miserable there.

Geography is not destiny, at least not in the US.
I like that nugget of wisdom. I'm sure it definitely was surprising to people that you didn't want to live in Hawaii, what many regard as "Paradise".

Old 02-16-2012, 07:50 AM

507 posts, read 514,011 times
Quote:
Hi!
I wanted to get you guys' opinions on this article: New York Daily Photo: I Know (http://newyorkdailyphoto.blogspot.com/2011/03/i-know.html - broken link)

Are you one of those people who just knew you wanted to live in NYC?
Or are you one of the ones who has stayed here out of obligation?

I don't know if this thread will get deleted or not, but I'm just curious about your thoughts on the subject.
Right now I can see myself settling down in Brooklyn...I visited the area and I enjoyed myself there I fell in love...on the other hand it's expensive and the smart thing to do would weigh my options based on living expenses and job opportunities...right now the New Jersey/New York area might be my final place

Have to wait and see

Old 02-16-2012, 08:21 AM

16 posts, read 35,657 times
I have lived here about two months now and love it. I've visited several times before I moved here, so I already knew my way around and knew what to expect. I'm originally from a small town in East Tennessee, but I moved to the "big city" of Nashville when I was 19 to go to college. Six years later, I had an opportunity to move to the real "big city" and jumped on an opportunity here in NYC.

My life experiences thus far are proving it best for one to embrace change, and so I do. I expect I'll be here around 5 years, but who knows. Anyway, coming here was the right thing for me and I'm glad I did it. I couldn't imagine living in small town Tennessee again, but I certainly understand city life isn't for everyone, and that is fine.

-Chris

Old 02-16-2012, 08:28 AM

1,085 posts, read 2,292,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mc33433 View Post
I don't tolerate being here. I LOVE being here. This is my city. Like I said, we don't even consider leaving. Beyond it making sense for our jobs, we love it here.
This.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City