Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 07:27 AM

400 posts, read 983,599 times

Advertisements

MTA finishes tunneling work for 7-train subway extension - NYPOST.com=

"It will revitalize the area around 34th and 11th avenue by December 2013. About 13 million people a year will use it (35,000 people a day X 365 days a year = 13 million a year).

But what about the other side of the 7 train. Have you ever been to Main Street/tried to get on the 7 train in the morning? It has to be BY far the most crowded train in the whole system. I come home sometimes at 3 in the morning and its STILL crowded. The chances of you finding a seat a slim. The only time this is true is in the middle of the day between 11-3 and thats still questionable. Why not extend the 7 train to Parsons and Northern Boulevard?

What bearing /effect does an extension on one end of the line have on the other end, if any?

Its always about Manhattan...

Old 02-16-2012, 07:36 AM

155 posts, read 426,200 times
I would say all the stops in Manhattan will now be just as crowded as the stops in Queens. No more relief after Grand Central(going west) because a lot of people will probably start transferring there to get back to the west side.

And now the tunneling begins to Secaucus? Hopefully that will be on the drawing board for 75 years like the 2nd ave subway.

I wouldn't expect the Queens-bound trains to be significantly more packed after Grand Central.

Old 02-16-2012, 08:22 AM

1,085 posts, read 2,292,651 times
I think it's a huge mistake not having a station on 10th Avenue, but we'll see.

Old 02-16-2012, 08:40 AM

7,841 posts, read 13,236,113 times
Agreed. I've taken the 7 and no matter what time of day or the day of the week, it is just ridiculously crammed with people. To make matters worse, they finally completed construction at Court Square in LIC and made it a transfer between the 7 and the subway and they added an escalator. A few weeks ago they announced that the 7 is not stopping here in either direction for...get ready...CONSTRUCTION. The E is so crowded at this stop that sometimes I have to let 2 trains go by before I can get on and now we're adding riders who can't take the 7. Thanks MTA for making life more difficult.

Old 02-16-2012, 08:42 AM

155 posts, read 426,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
Agreed. I've taken the 7 and no matter what time of day or the day of the week, it is just ridiculously crammed with people. To make matters worse, they finally completed construction at Court Square in LIC and made it a transfer between the 7 and the subway and they added an escalator. A few weeks ago they announced that the 7 is not stopping here in either direction for...get ready...CONSTRUCTION. The E is so crowded at this stop that sometimes I have to let 2 trains go by before I can get on and now we're adding riders who can't take the 7. Thanks MTA for making life more difficult.

I too take the E at this station quite frequently and your comment just made me realize that this extension may add to the congestion at this transfer point as well.

Old 02-16-2012, 08:57 AM

2,896 posts, read 9,813,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlushingRepresenter View Post
Why not extend the 7 train to Parsons and Northern Boulevard?
What w/b the point of that?

Got a problem with the crowds on the 7, speak to your Mayor and the City Council about revoking this 'Sanctuary City' BS, and enforcing the immigration laws.

Then speak with the President and the Democrats about enforcing the existing immigration laws, as well as readjusting the immigration allowances and quotas.

Get it done and get it right, then you'll be able to find a seat on the 7 train.

If you are not in favor of the above, then stop whinning, squish yourself and make room, more will be coming, and coming, and coming....

Personally, I am not in favor of more taxes and/or more tolls to fund the incompetent MTA.

Neither is Governor Christie who killed efforts for a Hudson tunnel to extend the 7 to NJ.

Old 02-16-2012, 09:54 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,603,290 times
Quote:
Its always about Manhattan...
You have summed up the problem in four short words. This is what happens when you have people put in charge who A) don't live in the city, and B) don't actually understand the railroad they're supposed to be running.

Why do you think the G line was cut back from its old terminal at Continental Avenue? It's because the suits and ties can't understand that a line without any station stops in Manhattan can still be important.

The Second Avenue subway was originally planned to run up to Pelham Bay Park in The Bronx (it was actually going to take over service from the 6 line). But, citing costs, it was "provisionally" scaled back to a terminal at 125 Street. Don't hold your breath for a Second Avenue extension into The Bronx.

Old 02-16-2012, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyQueens View Post
I too take the E at this station quite frequently and your comment just made me realize that this extension may add to the congestion at this transfer point as well.
Between the extension and construction at this stop, the E will be a nightmare. The Court Square stop I belive is supposed to re-open in April but for commuters, that sounds like a long way off.

Old 02-16-2012, 03:51 PM

988 posts, read 3,255,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K 22 View Post
I think it's a huge mistake not having a station on 10th Avenue, but we'll see.

This, should have had a station at 42nd and 10th.

Old 02-16-2012, 03:56 PM

Quote:
If it were up to me (which it is definitely not) Id send all you non-American *expletive, expletive* packing in a yocto-second.

I wish I had a time machine so I could go back the mid 19th century to Ellis Island and reject all the vermin who came to this city during that time.
And where exactly are your ancestors from, huh? Do you come from a full blood line of Native Americans and do you have proof? And do you know how ridiculous you sound? "go back the mid 19th century to Ellis Island and reject all the vermin who came to this city during that time." Do you not know history at all???? Is THAT when immigrants came to NY?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City