Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2012, 07:14 AM

1 posts, read 1,661 times

Advertisements

I am the owner of a 2 family home where my tenant is a single parent discharged from the Army about a year ago. She has children under 8 and moved in late last year. She is a student and receives a modified GI bill that pays her rent as long as she goes to school. Although she now makes payments each month, she is over $10k in arrears. I need to evict her in the most efficient and effective manner. She's a nice woman with nice children, but I cannot afford to not have rent payments made in full each month. Can anyone tell me what I need to do to get her out? Quickly? I'd love to have her out by June 30th so that the apartment can be repainted and prepped for new tenants on July 15th.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2012, 07:36 AM

455 posts, read 652,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiredllady View Post
I am the owner of a 2 family home where my tenant is a single parent discharged from the Army about a year ago. She has children under 8 and moved in late last year. She is a student and receives a modified GI bill that pays her rent as long as she goes to school. Although she now makes payments each month, she is over $10k in arrears. I need to evict her in the most efficient and effective manner. She's a nice woman with nice children, but I cannot afford to not have rent payments made in full each month. Can anyone tell me what I need to do to get her out? Quickly? I'd love to have her out by June 30th so that the apartment can be repainted and prepped for new tenants on July 15th.
Did you have her sign a lease? Since it is your home (not sure what type of agreement you made with her) you have to give her 30 days notice to vacate the apt. Make sure to have a witness present when you give the 30 day notice. Also, send a certified mail 30 day letter notice. Make sure to document everything.

You can forget about kicking her out on June 30th. You need 30 days notice. Give her notice this month and by Aug 1st she needs to vacate the apt. She still has to pay the rent for June and July but not August.

Old 06-20-2012, 07:38 AM

555 posts, read 1,184,237 times
Quote:

LOL....Forget about it..not gonna happen. Rental laws have been discussed over and over on here, and I am sure or at least hope you were familiar with the laws when you decided to become a land lord.
Get ready for that 6 month battle. You did not do anything when she was 1-2-5-7-9K behind? Why wait til 10? Seems a bit bad on your part. You may say you was being nice, but watch how nice she is if you ask her to leave in 9 days

Old 06-20-2012, 07:48 AM

18,478 posts, read 31,653,017 times
I lived in a four family house way back in the stone age, we were friends with the LL, her words of wisdom were:

A single girl (woman) with children, can't pay the rent.

These old times really do know what they were talking about.

Unfortunetely you had to learn the hard way. The best way to get rent on time is have 2 regular working people, preferably a couple, that have real jobs, no section 8, welfare or any of that City benefit crap, but a couple that works for a reputable company.....see where I am going with this....

Old 06-20-2012, 07:53 AM

455 posts, read 652,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyc77 View Post
[/u][/b]

LOL....Forget about it..not gonna happen. Rental laws have been discussed over and over on here, and I am sure or at least hope you were familiar with the laws when you decided to become a land lord.
Get ready for that 6 month battle. You did not do anything when she was 1-2-5-7-9K behind? Why wait til 10? Seems a bit bad on your part. You may say you was being nice, but watch how nice she is if you ask her to leave in 9 days
Also, true! You accepted a pattern of payment. You have to concentrate on kicking her out now. Review the contract you made her sign (if there was one) and follow the guidelines that you created. I believe she is a month to month tenant unless you created a year lease. You need to give 30 days notice or else she can take you to court.

Next time, do a criminal and credit background check on a prospective tenant. Young professionals and married couple are the best tenants. Boyfriend/Girlfriend and single parents are not the best tenants. A unmarried couple can break up and create havok and a single parent well you already know...

Old 06-20-2012, 05:03 PM

8 posts, read 21,002 times
Quote:
Does she have a lease or is she a month-to-month tenant? If she's a month-to-month, you need to send her a certified letter stating that you want her out of the apartment by July 30th. You can't kick her out in 10 days because it's against the law, you have to give her a 30 day notice. Then, you need to get an eviction letter which also gives her 30 days to move out. However, she can ask for a hearing which usually takes 6 months (it can be as quickly as 3 months or as long as 9 months). During those months waiting for hearing, she'll stay in the apartment rent-free.

You also need to state in the letter that she will not be getting her security deposit back because that was put towards her rent.

Old 06-20-2012, 06:35 PM

195 posts, read 304,901 times
Quote:
i am extremely interested in finding out why exactly she was unable to pay the rent, especially considering that I plan to move to nyc and use my GI Bill to pay for my apartment. from my understanding, she should be receiving,at a bare minimum, 2k a month stipend as long as she attends school (to be honest it's probably closer to 3k to 3500 considering she has kids).

Old 06-21-2012, 05:32 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,868,687 times
/\/\

Cash is fungible. She could be diverting it to other priorities.

Old 06-21-2012, 04:43 PM

195 posts, read 304,901 times
^this is true. i was wondering if maybe she's ran into problems getting her money (i know first hand how the government is quick to take, yet slow to give) or if she is not paying for some other reason.

Old 06-22-2012, 06:40 AM

559 posts, read 1,112,044 times
I think you're screwed.

Quote:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City