Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 10:23 AM

2,894 posts, read 5,906,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alkonost View Post
Nope, it's dead on if you want to live in good neighborhoods with safe parks, near museums, with good schools and have a 4 bedroom apartment with enough space for a family.

As I said, you can make do on less, but it means enormous sacrifices on location, schools, apartment quality and size, commute time, quality of life. Pick and choose your poison.
300K is silly indeed.

Considering that the mean household income in NYC is 77k
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2012, 10:29 AM

1,027 posts, read 1,621,938 times
good idea, save up enough of your husbands money so you can leave him

or you can just nevermind the petty bull**** his family puts you through. In one ear out the other.

Old 02-21-2012, 10:38 AM

1,494 posts, read 2,722,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by likeminas View Post
300K is silly indeed.

Considering that the mean household income in NYC is 77k
If you think the income for a family living in Manhattan with a 3-4 bedroom on the UWS, UES, Tribeca or Greenwich Village is $77k, you're either a clueless or you've never set foot inside of NYC. 300k is a VERY accurate number to acquire the wishlist the OP has expressed: near museums (Manhattan), parks, good public schools, room for a family, etc, etc.

If you're talking about the average across the city as whole, where the lower income areas bring down the average, sure $77 is about right- but you won't find that in the Manhattan areas the OP wants to live. Please educate yourself as you clearly don't know what you're taking about. If the OP is willing to live anywhere except Manhattan, that number becomes more flexible. But if we're talking Manhattan, 300k is dead-on if you want to be comfortable with a family.

Of course if you want to starve your kids, force them to live in a closet, and live in a **** neighborhood with a demilitarized zone for a school just to be able to squeak by even though you can't really afford to be here- by all means do so, but I'd feel sorry for the kids.

Old 02-21-2012, 12:06 PM

Quote:
If you think the income for a family living in Manhattan with a 3-4 bedroom on the UWS, UES, Tribeca or Greenwich Village is $77k, you're either a clueless or you've never set foot inside of NYC. 300k is a VERY accurate number to acquire the wishlist the OP has expressed: near museums (Manhattan), parks, good public schools, room for a family, etc, etc.

If you're talking about the average across the city as whole, where the lower income areas bring down the average, sure $77 is about right- but you won't find that in the Manhattan areas the OP wants to live. Please educate yourself as you clearly don't know what you're taking about. If the OP is willing to live anywhere except Manhattan, that number becomes more flexible. But if we're talking Manhattan, 300k is dead-on if you want to be comfortable with a family.

Of course if you want to starve your kids, force them to live in a closet, and live in a **** neighborhood with a demilitarized zone for a school just to be able to squeak by even though you can't really afford to be here- by all means do so, but I'd feel sorry for the kids.

LOL, Does NYC mean Manhattan-only to you?

I've educated myself when it comes to cost of living in NYC that's why I'm correcting you by point out the hard numbers on the average household income.

And I'll tell you this much; OP can live in a decent and quiet neighborhood in Brooklyn or Queens for less than 100k. Staten Island probably even less.

Btw, at no point in this thread I've read that the OP wants a '3-4 bedroom on the UWS, UES, Tribeca or Greenwich Village' making stuff up won't help the silly assertion that a 'family needs at least 300k to move to nyc'

Last edited by likeminas; 02-21-2012 at 12:14 PM..

Old 02-21-2012, 12:44 PM

3,357 posts, read 4,631,584 times
Quote:
Yodel, quit being a twit and stop putting words in my mouth. If you're offended with the reality that it takes a lot of money to afford optimal living quarters, location, schools, etc, in NYC, that's not my problem. I never said 4br was a requirement, that is your invention. I'm sure the OP wouldn't be too keen on sharing a room with her kids. If you commute through metro north I doubt you're living in NYC.

As I said, yes you can get by on less, but how you translate that into judging "you" hints that you're unsatisfied with your own situation... But if you'd really like to know what I think, no I don't feel sorry for you- you have a choice in where to live, and if you want to make quality-of-living sacrifices as opposed to living in a city with a lower cost of living that's your prerogative- so how does that in any way earn my pity?

NYC is not worth it for everyone, and different people have different standards to which they want to live their lives. If your standards are lower, that's your business.

It's a rude awakening when people move to NYC and realize after the fact that the same amount of income is wholly insufficient to maintain the same quality of life that the person has enjoyed elsewhere. I prefer to educate people about this that instead of blowing smoke up their asses and tell them what they want to hear, especially when a FAMILY is involved and children will be dragged into the fiasco.
A twit? Really you don't need to insult me because I disagree with you. On the record, I do live in New York City (we have both the subway and metro north close by). My husband and I also own our own home and live in a very attractive neighborhood. No, not everyone can afford your 'optimal' living situation I'm sure. But families here can live comfortably and be happy on much less money than you believe. I'm not saying that the OK should pack up and move here, it was the 300K comment I was addressing.

Your knowledge seems limited to your bubble. There are reasons why it makes sense for people who aren't rich to live in New York. As for us, we save a lot of money not having a car, living in New York is a huge advantage to my business and my husband makes a lot more money here than he would elsewhere. Don't assume that families that make less than 300K are better off somewhere else.

Old 02-21-2012, 12:46 PM

3,357 posts, read 4,631,584 times
Quote:
Btw, at no point in this thread I've read that the OP wants a '3-4 bedroom on the UWS, UES, Tribeca or Greenwich Village' making stuff up won't help the silly assertion that a 'family needs at least 300k to move to nyc'
Very true.

Old 02-21-2012, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yodel View Post
A twit? Really you don't need to insult me because I disagree with you.
No, you were putting words in my mouth that I never said, that does make you a twit. Sorry but it's true.

Quote:
On the record, I do live in New York City (we have both the subway and metro north close by). My husband and I also own our own home and live in a very attractive neighborhood.
Your commute isn't great, and you don't live near museums.

Quote:
No, not everyone can afford your 'optimal' living situation I'm sure.
I never said everyone could, I just put out a number what what you DO need if you want to be in the "best" neighborhoods near musuems, best, schools, etc. Again, quit putting words in my mouth that were never said.

Quote:
But families here can live comfortably and be happy on much less money than you believe. I'm not saying that the OK should pack up and move here, it was the 300K comment I was addressing.
And you addressed the 300k comment with grave errors and presumed things I did not say. I have no doubt people get by on less, but they're NOT living in TOP neighborhoods with the BEST public schools near MUSEUMS which were in the OP's wish list. Like I said, pick your poiosion- pick what you WANT to sacrifice in terms of your quality of life in order to bring you costs down. Funny how many people like you suddenly stop reading after seeing 300k and start making WILD assumptions about things I never said. The fact is the OPs wishlist does demand a 300k income to pull it off, I don't think she had ANY idea of what she was truly asking. Are you going to be one of the many who are going to blow rainbows out of your behind and tell her what she wants to hear? Or are you going to tell her like it is, that her wishlist is MAD expensive and she's going to have to re-evaluate what she can really afford. Pick one! What's it gonna be? BS and rainbows to tell everyone what they wanna hear? Or provide some education on what's not realistic for the OP?

Quote:
Your knowledge seems limited to your bubble. There are reasons why it makes sense for people who aren't rich to live in New York. As for us, we save a lot of money not having a car, living in New York is a huge advantage to my business and my husband makes a lot more money here than he would elsewhere. Don't assume that families that make less than 300K are better off somewhere else.
My "bubble", again you're making presumptions. I never disclosed what my income was, and you're guessing that I'm "rich". And you are also erroneously presuming I think people making less than 300k are better off somewhere else. NO you are again 100% false and incorrect- I feel the OP is better off somewhere else because she doesn't have a JOB LINED UP.

Seriously, you look like a damn fool, and it's not flattering.

Old 02-21-2012, 01:12 PM

Quote:

I've educated myself when it comes to cost of living in NYC that's why I'm correcting you by point out the hard numbers on the average household income.
Apparently you're not. I wasn't stating what the average income was, that is YOUR mistake. I was quoting what the ideal income was to support a family in a neighborhood near NYC museums, or those known for great public school districts with a short commute to the said museums. I know what the "Average" income is, and those people DO NOT live in the neighborhoods with the requirements that the OP listed.

Quote:
And I'll tell you this much; OP can live in a decent and quiet neighborhood in Brooklyn or Queens for less than 100k. Staten Island probably even less.
I never said it wasn't possible, again, since no one seems to be able to read, I will again point out that one needs to pick and choose what they're willing to sacrifice for cost- location, commute time, schools, etc. You are mentioning those very sacrifices that I had mentioned, location is the first thing to go because Manhattan is just out of reach. Commute time, convenience, proximity to museums, etc are all sacrificing things off the OP's wishlist.

Quote:

I'm going strictly by the OP's wishlist.

The OP stated that she has a FAMILY. Think she wants a studio? Bullcrap. Unless she's only got one kid, you know as well as I do we're looking at a 3br, and possibly a 4br if she has a lot of kids.

The OP wants to be near all the museums AND parks- that's Manhattan, buddy. She doesn't need to come out and say it. That's like me saying "I WANNA LIVE NEAR ALL THE TALL BUILDINGS!!!" would you suppose I'd be referring to Riverdale? Please...

As for UWS and UES- Both of those neighborhoods are on Central Park and they have good schools and are near TONS of museums.

If you want good school districts a little farther out but still be in Manhattan, TRibeca and Gvill are great, they have smaller parks but they're good places to be if you have a family.

So far the OP hasn't disclosed what she'd be willing to sacrifice from her wish list to make her move to NYC a realistic one for her budget. Until she does so, I am simply stating what her wish list requires.

Either way this is all moot as the OP doesn't have a job lined up for the move to NYC, so everything is out of the question right now.

Old 02-21-2012, 01:36 PM

Quote:

I'm going strictly by the OP's wishlist.

The OP wants to be near all the museums AND parks-

I am simply stating what her wish list requires.
Ohh gawd!

this whole thing is too sily for me to continue, but I'll just mention that at no point in this thread the OP said that she 'had to live close to museums and parks'

She said, her daughter 'LIKES' museums and parks.

Nor I have seen anywhere the OP requiring a 'short commute'

It's all in your bubble.

Last edited by likeminas; 02-21-2012 at 02:01 PM..

Old 02-21-2012, 02:00 PM

2,691 posts, read 4,330,254 times
Quote:

Yup. The OP also said:

"One of my friends from NYC that I knew in the marines.. said if i do the research & it seems like NYC not a reasonable option.. that could always just think about living in Northern New Jersey & go into the city on the weekends with my kids because it's very close."

So I think that throwing up $300K [for prime Manhattan living] was overkill since it looks like her friend has already suggested that she consider close by alternatives. I think some of the other posters here are just stating the truth. She doesn't even have to go to NJ, she can just be in an outer borough and commute into the heart of Manhattan when the need and desire arises. Hell, she's even said how much she's enjoyed places like the BX Zoo and there are plenty of nice places in the BX that would be cost efficient AND SAFE that she can live in with her kids.

That still, however, leaves the original issue with her needing a well paying job lined up first...

I guess the better question is, what is a realistic salary for a family to live comfortably in NYC (and that does not mean it has to be the heart of Manhattan). Just someplace safe with easy access to transportation, and good schools for kids. Is it $55K, $75K, $95K, etc?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City