Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 09:48 AM

2,691 posts, read 4,330,685 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Future View Post
Ehhh, not so good - very limited in my area. The Indian take out is restaurant quality, in a cafeteria setting. The Lydig Diner is the best diner so far, but its still a Diner.

You gotta do some searching - most of the restaurants are tiny, & I have yet to find a "sit down" restaurant, save The Colonial - which is Spanish food, not for me.

DM if you have any ??'s - Im new, but Ive been hitting the streets and really getting to know the area.

*** I dont drive, so I am very limited to the places I can go on foot, with a stroller.
Oh if you walk down Pelham Parkway to Williamsbridge Rd and make a right - it's maybe 10 minutes walking. There are a few more "sit down" places. Italian, Japanese (there is even a Hibachi place), some Cafe type thing. One of the Japanese places even sells Bubble Tea!

On Lydig, isn't there Green Light Cafe or whatever that place is called? It's small but has some good options (and smoothies!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2012, 09:58 AM

9,247 posts, read 24,077,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Future View Post
Ehhh, not so good - very limited in my area. The Indian take out is restaurant quality, in a cafeteria setting. The Lydig Diner is the best diner so far, but its still a Diner.

You gotta do some searching - most of the restaurants are tiny, & I have yet to find a "sit down" restaurant, save The Colonial - which is Spanish food, not for me.

DM if you have any ??'s - Im new, but Ive been hitting the streets and really getting to know the area.

*** I dont drive, so I am very limited to the places I can go on foot, with a stroller.
I sort of disagree with Vic on the restaurant thing here.There are actually some really nice restaurants and bars of all kinds on Williamsbridge Rd,Bronxdale Ave and Morris park Ave.They are not right around the corner but within a pretty short walk.If you look for a place around the intersection of Pelham Parkway and Williamsbridge Road many of these places will be just around the corner.

Some nice Italian,Japanese,Mex ,Albanian and bar type places.Enzo's,Patricia,s,Yucatan,900 Park,Pine Tavern,etc?
Enzo's is one of the best Italain restaurants in NYC and one of mayor Bloomberg's favorites.i have been there a few times when he was there.

Vic,you should push that stroller East on Lydig toward Williamsbridge Rd!

Last edited by bluedog2; 02-21-2012 at 10:06 AM..

Old 02-21-2012, 12:45 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,377,113 times
To be honest, you can live reasonably comfortably in a 1 bedroom in almost every neighborhood in the Bronx with an income of $45K, with the exception of maybe a few enclaves like specific subsections of Riverdale, and specific areas of the Southern Bronx like Port Morris and certain blocks within the Yankee Stadium area.

The Bronx is the most affordable borough in the city, always has been, and will remain that way for the foreseeable future. A single person should have no trouble with that income in Pelham Parkway or just about any other area.

Old 02-21-2012, 07:20 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,129,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
me - the rockaways
bluedog - pelham pkwy
sobro, bronxGT - south bronx
supermario - bronx (west side)
checkmate - staten island
nightcrawler - bensonhurst
henna - jackson heights
nuyorican - harlem / washington heights
bmwguy - everywhere in the tristate lol
Thanks for the mention.

Is there any way you could somehow make a "Sticky" of that list you put up? So if anybody comes in, looking at one of those areas, they know exactly who to DM? I guess most of the posters end up making threads anyway, so it doesn't make much of a difference.

Old 02-27-2012, 02:12 PM

518 posts, read 1,580,203 times
[quote=jad2k;23077004]Oh if you walk down Pelham Parkway to Williamsbridge Rd and make a right - it's maybe 10 minutes walking. There are a few more "sit down" places. Italian, Japanese (there is even a Hibachi place), some Cafe type thing. One of the Japanese places even sells Bubble Tea!

On Lydig, isn't there Green Light Cafe or whatever that place is called? It's small but has some good options (and smoothies!)[/QUOTE

If OP is still reading: listen to Bluedog2... I literrally have been circling my immediate 3 -5 block area. Aparently I'm 5 blocks away from some awesome resturants! I will investigate.

But nothing beats a train ride up here! I've lived in 4 boroughs, so far the Bronx beats them all! No regrets!

Old 02-27-2012, 11:46 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,184,600 times
What are "the rockaways" ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
He's the expert on the Pelham Pkwy neighborhood in the forum. I wish we could have designations for people, like under your username to show what part of the city they are an expert on. This is off the top of my head:

me - the rockaways
bluedog - pelham pkwy
sobro, bronxGT - south bronx
supermario - bronx (west side)
checkmate - staten island
nightcrawler - bensonhurst
henna - jackson heights
nuyorican - harlem / washington heights
bmwguy - everywhere in the tristate lol

Old 02-28-2012, 12:00 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,132,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
Rockaway, Queens - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 02-28-2012, 05:21 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,244,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhipster916 View Post
Could a gay slightly feminine young black guy live in pelham parkway comfortably on $45,000?
Yes. If you keep your debt down you'll be comfortable. You won't be ballin but you'll be fine which is more important anyway...

Btw there are a lot of gay people in the bronx and Ive seen some walking around fine in rougher areas than PP.

Old 02-28-2012, 05:25 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,244,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
Take the A train till you pass out and a cop wakes you up...

Old 02-28-2012, 01:25 PM

2,465 posts, read 2,763,844 times
[quote=Vic Future;23166150]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2k View Post
Oh if you walk down Pelham Parkway to Williamsbridge Rd and make a right - it's maybe 10 minutes walking. There are a few more "sit down" places. Italian, Japanese (there is even a Hibachi place), some Cafe type thing. One of the Japanese places even sells Bubble Tea!

On Lydig, isn't there Green Light Cafe or whatever that place is called? It's small but has some good options (and smoothies!)[/QUOTE

If OP is still reading: listen to Bluedog2... I literrally have been circling my immediate 3 -5 block area. Aparently I'm 5 blocks away from some awesome resturants! I will investigate.

But nothing beats a train ride up here! I've lived in 4 boroughs, so far the Bronx beats them all! No regrets!
There is a wide variety of good food right on Williamsbridge Rd. I recommend Mr. Q's for sushi. Fresh, delicious and reasonably priced.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City