Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 10:27 PM

41 posts, read 133,140 times

Advertisements

In 2001, I was in town for Fleet Week. My platoon was tasked with being a part of a parade and a wreath laying ceremony.

I remember loading up a bus and driving to somewhere in the NYC area. After the ceremony, we hung out with the locals in a bar and got pretty drunk. I asked one of the people that was there with us where we are and they said "The emerald isle." After doing research, I dont think that is correct since a Google search comes back as a immigration center. I do know we were on a island since we drove over water and a bridge when we left. I'm thinking it might have be somewhere out in Staten Island. On the way out there, I fell asleep. Before that, we where on the expressway and I saw a sign for the Bronx.

I have asked all the members of my old platoon that I can track down, if they knew where we were. They remember the place but not the name.

Does anybody have any idea where this might be?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2012, 10:35 PM

1,494 posts, read 2,722,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan2099 View Post
In 2001, I was in town for Fleet Week. My platoon was tasked with being a part of a parade and a wreath laying ceremony.

I remember loading up a bus and driving to somewhere in the NYC area. After the ceremony, we hung out with the locals in a bar and got pretty drunk. I asked one of the people that was there with us where we are and they said "The emerald isle." After doing research, I dont think that is correct since a Google search comes back as a immigration center. I do know we were on a island since we drove over water and a bridge when we left. I'm thinking it might have be somewhere out in Staten Island. On the way out there, I fell asleep. Before that, we where on the expressway and I saw a sign for the Bronx.

I have asked all the members of my old platoon that I can track down, if they knew where we were. They remember the place but not the name.

Hey Ryan,

The city is a big place with many bridges, what may help narrow it down is figuring out which bridge you crossed- that would clue us in to which borough you were in- it may not have been Staten Island since Queens and Brooklyn also require bridge crossings to reach. If you do an image search for NYC bridges, let us know which bridge looks like the one you crossed.

Old 02-20-2012, 10:53 PM

41 posts, read 133,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alkonost View Post
Hey Ryan,

The city is a big place with many bridges, what may help narrow it down is figuring out which bridge you crossed- that would clue us in to which borough you were in- it may not have been Staten Island since Queens and Brooklyn also require bridge crossings to reach. If you do an image search for NYC bridges, let us know which bridge looks like the one you crossed.
I did that and nothing looked familiar. Being this was 10+ years ago and I was drinking at the time, not sure of how much I remember is accurate. Only other thing I remember is that the place had a small town feel. I appreciate the help though.

Old 02-20-2012, 10:59 PM

57 posts, read 196,692 times
According to Manta.com, there is a bar named "Emerald Isle" listed at 122 Westchester Square in the Bronx. Google Street View only shows a construction site at that address, though. Maybe someone who lives near there can tell you if the Manta information is correct and what happened to the bar...

Old 02-20-2012, 11:26 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,132,425 times
How long were you on the bus? One hour? Three hours? Here is a place called Emerald Isle but it's at least 3 hours from NYC Welcome To Kielty's Emerald Isle

Old 02-21-2012, 07:23 AM

2,848 posts, read 7,579,893 times
There is a place near where I used to live on the Upper West Side called Emerald Inn.... Not sure it would be the same place:

Emerald Inn
205 Columbus Avenue

It's between 69th and 70th Street

Old 02-21-2012, 08:03 AM

9,247 posts, read 24,077,765 times
You were probably in Woodlawn in The Bronx.The wreath laying was probably at a war memorial called The Oneida Triangle and the bar was probably one of the many in the adjacent Irish neighborhood.

Last edited by bluedog2; 02-21-2012 at 08:20 AM..

Old 02-21-2012, 10:18 AM

10,914 posts, read 31,400,832 times
Do you know where your ship was docked? If I am not mistaken, not all of the ships use the passenger terminals on the Westside, as some are docked on Staten Island. If you went over the bridge soon after leaving the dock, you were on Staten Island and crossed the Verrazzano as Stapleton is very close to the bridge. If you drove through the city for a while before reaching the bridge, you were docked on the Westside.

Do you remember anything about the monument, itself, at which the wreath was laid? The other likely place where you could have been is in Queens, Woodside to be precise. I believe there are local Memorial Day parades, which would coincide with Fleet Week.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Last edited by bmwguydc; 02-21-2012 at 10:29 AM..

Old 04-14-2012, 06:55 PM

1 posts, read 1,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan2099 View Post

Is in the Woodlawn Heights part of the Bronx, I live here and it's a memorial for the WW1 residents.

Old 04-14-2012, 11:25 PM

87 posts, read 236,240 times
lol@ "uhhh, wherree arree weee?" i've been there before. we've all been there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City