Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2012, 07:35 AM

589 posts, read 1,220,436 times

Advertisements

Anyone know what will happen with this?

I have postponed once before and shown up in person the first time. I moved about a year ago and my previous landlord has been keeping my old mail for a long time without informing me.

My jury duty was set for november of last year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2012, 07:42 AM

2,848 posts, read 7,578,205 times
You never set up your mail to be forwarded?

It's not a huge deal. However, if I were you, I would call (the number should be on the summons) and explain to reschedule to avoid potential issues in the future.

Old 02-21-2012, 08:00 AM

39 posts, read 150,930 times
Absolutely nothing will happen

Old 02-21-2012, 08:10 AM

7,844 posts, read 13,230,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cee4 View Post
Anyone know what will happen with this?

I have postponed once before and shown up in person the first time. I moved about a year ago and my previous landlord has been keeping my old mail for a long time without informing me.

My jury duty was set for november of last year.

I could never understand why those were never sent registered mail. "What summons?"

Old 02-21-2012, 09:56 AM

370 posts, read 1,564,216 times
Sometimes these notifications are sent from official sources (i.e., driver's licenses, voter registration) and, there MAY BE requirements to update your address when you move. Just think, when you get a warrant for not paying your parking tickets it's going to be hard to claim you never got the summons if your address isn't current because you didn't notify the DMV of your current address!

Old 02-21-2012, 10:04 AM

860 posts, read 2,055,535 times
I'm in the same boat for the second time. Last fall a call-in notice was sent while I was gone moose hunting for 6 weeks. When I came back home I was served with a summons to appear in court for failiure to appear. Was given a lecture on civic duty and fined $25.
This time they sent a notice out in January. They don't deliver mail here, I have to go to town to get it. I didn't go to town the whole month of January, pay bills online & spend the whole year stocking my pantry & freezer so I don't HAVE to go to town in the winter. By the time I asked my granddaughter to check my mail, the call-in date was a week past. Cops knocked on my door again last Friday with a summons to appear, going back to court tommorrow to explain myself again.
This is ridiculous!

Old 02-21-2012, 10:26 AM

1,809 posts, read 7,060,442 times
That is Alaska, NYC has a much larger jury pool to choose from
No way do they have the resources to track everybody who didn't show up when summoned for jury duty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City