Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 11:14 AM

2,628 posts, read 4,593,864 times

Advertisements

So it looks like there's a strong possibility I am about to be single again. If this happens, I will be sitting on a 2BR in Bensonhurst that while I can afford the rent and bills on my own, I won't be able to save anything. I can rent the other bedroom, but it's only 11x6, more suited for an office than a bedroom. So the odds of renting it out are slim.

Thus this now brings me to the alternative....moving yet again. If I want to save this puts me in the 1k and under category for rent or getting a roommate elsewhere. I'm pretty much open as far as areas, except I don't want to live along the L line as that train gets way too damn crowded. Closest train stop at work is Nassau on the G line, so preferably something within an hour of that.

I've lived in the hood, so that doesn't bother me. I have been all over Brooklyn and Queens in my moves, so I'm pretty familiar with those 2 boroughs. Bronx, not so much, but being half hispanic I can get by.

I lean towards my own place vs a roommate because I'm not in my 20s anymore and I'm not the "artsy" type. I don't care if I have to live in Coney Island. I've been checking Craigslist but so far it's been all scams. Any other suggestions as far as websites or locations?

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2012, 01:48 PM

43,295 posts, read 44,015,585 times
You can get a large studio apt. for approx. $1000 a month in Rego Park, Queens (which would be an easy connection to the G train).

Old 02-21-2012, 02:01 PM

7,844 posts, read 13,178,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missjanna74 View Post
So it looks like there's a strong possibility I am about to be single again. If this happens, I will be sitting on a 2BR in Bensonhurst that while I can afford the rent and bills on my own, I won't be able to save anything. I can rent the other bedroom, but it's only 11x6, more suited for an office than a bedroom. So the odds of renting it out are slim.

Thus this now brings me to the alternative....moving yet again. If I want to save this puts me in the 1k and under category for rent or getting a roommate elsewhere. I'm pretty much open as far as areas, except I don't want to live along the L line as that train gets way too damn crowded. Closest train stop at work is Nassau on the G line, so preferably something within an hour of that.

I've lived in the hood, so that doesn't bother me. I have been all over Brooklyn and Queens in my moves, so I'm pretty familiar with those 2 boroughs. Bronx, not so much, but being half hispanic I can get by.

I lean towards my own place vs a roommate because I'm not in my 20s anymore and I'm not the "artsy" type. I don't care if I have to live in Coney Island. I've been checking Craigslist but so far it's been all scams. Any other suggestions as far as websites or locations?

Thanks in advance.

Have you thought about LIC? The G stops at Court Square and also at 21st St/Jackson Ave, assuming you want to be close to the G. The area is pretty quiet but there isn't a lot of shopping, as long as you're ok with that. There's been a ton of building around the area but those high-rise apartments are pretty pricey. Still some really nice brownstones in the area.

Old 02-21-2012, 02:04 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,318,464 times
You don't have to be Hispanic, or even 1/2 Hispanic "to get by" in the Bronx, so don't be silly. The bulk of the Hispanic population in the Bronx still is Puerto Rican, or rather Nuyorican, and the bulk of them have been here for generations, and longer than many other groups in NYC. They are simply Americanized now.

If you are looking for somewhere affordable, the Bronx is your best bet. If you have been checking craigslist, you should not be seeing "all scams" in the Bronx at least, and should come up with quite a few options depending on your specific location preferences (close to the city?).

Old 02-21-2012, 02:06 PM

2,894 posts, read 5,888,087 times
Studio for under 1k?

I'm thinking of Sunset park, Coney Island, Crown heights and Brownsville in BK

Maspeth, Jamaica, Woodhaven and Far Rockwaway in Qns.

Dont know much about the Bronx or Staten Island so I could not saying anything about them.

Old 02-21-2012, 03:52 PM

Trying to keep the commute to around 1 hour if possible. I can also walk to work from Bedford on the L but I am trying to avoid taking the L if I can help it, at least from the Bushwick side of things anyway. I grew up surrounded by Canarsie and East New York, so I'm pretty flexible. I'm at the point where all I need is my bed and my computer. I don't even care if I'm in a furnished room in a basement at this point. I just need a place to rest temporarily until I have enough saved to move out of state completely.

Old 02-21-2012, 07:02 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,026,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
You can get a large studio apt. for approx. $1000 a month in Rego Park, Queens (which would be an easy connection to the G train).
I asked this in another thread: are you sure this is still true?

Rents have risen in the past few years. I believe studios are $1100 or $1150 and up in Rego Park in buildings. It might be possible to get a basement studio for $1000 but I suspect it's a reach to get a "large studio" in a building in that neighborhood at this point.

Old 02-21-2012, 07:12 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,026,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missjanna74 View Post

Thanks in advance.
If you price the room out right, say $450 a month, you can probably get someone to rent it. You would probably have to do some heavy-duty screening of candidates.

I'm confused about what you want, though. In one post it seems you'll do anything to live alone, and then in a subsequent post you say you are willing to live in a furnished room as long as you don't have to take the L train. Renting a furnished room means you are living in an apartment or house with others.

If you're willing to consider basement apartments, I suggest looking along the E or R trains in Queens in areas like Woodside (the part near the R train), Jackson Heights, Elmhurst, Rego Park. Maybe Kew Gardens as well - not as familiar with that area. This train line connects with the G train at Court Square and all those neighborhoods are mostly decent working class/middle class areas.

Also look into East Elmhurst in the 70s streets, like 31st Ave and 75th St. I am not sure of the prices in that area but they should be reasonable and you can fairly easily get to the E train at Roosevelt from that location. Also there is a nice shopping center right there with a big clean grocery store and the best French bakery in Queens.

Maybe you should look at sublets. On craigslist those tend to be less scammy than the apartments for rent section.

Old 02-22-2012, 05:19 PM

Looks like we worked things out...for now.

I prefer living alone, but if I have to get a room somewhere, I'm ok with that as long as it has enough space.

The other room is kind of small, and while yes I could eventually rent it for 500 or something, not many people would want to live in Bensonhurst, as it's not in a "hip" area.

Old 02-22-2012, 06:15 PM

400 posts, read 980,416 times
You could live at
One Brooklyn Bridge. They have high ceilings in a full service building brimming with amenities. Living there increases your ability to enjoy a "fine aged cognac" and "no compromising is necessary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City