Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2012, 12:00 PM

18,470 posts, read 31,638,910 times

Advertisements

Is it just me or are the TV screens in the cabs annoying as hell....

We were riding in the cab to get uptown and the TV thing was playing, it was so distracting to our conversation, that I was getting a headache. Are they really necessary?????

I couldn't find where the off button was?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2012, 12:06 PM

2,848 posts, read 7,580,539 times
The first thing I do when I get in a cab is hit the off button (usually bottom right or top right corner).

Old 02-22-2012, 12:10 PM

2,894 posts, read 5,906,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
Is it just me or are the TV screens in the cabs annoying as hell....

We were riding in the cab to get uptown and the TV thing was playing, it was so distracting to our conversation, that I was getting a headache. Are they really necessary?????

I couldn't find where the off button was?

There's a mute button AND an off buttom. Might not be big and obvious, ( they want you to see the ads) but I know it's there.

I do find the GPS feature helpful, but not a neccesity.

Old 02-22-2012, 12:25 PM

18,470 posts, read 31,638,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mc33433 View Post
The first thing I do when I get in a cab is hit the off button (usually bottom right or top right corner).

yeah, I will def have to look for that button. You can tell i dont cab too often. LOL

Old 02-22-2012, 02:47 PM

1,871 posts, read 4,266,898 times
Yes, they are obnoxious and I usually turn them off. Just when I think that every available medium for advertising has been exhausted -- a new intrusive method is found. I believe that someday we'll have targeted ads directed at whatever we look at in certain areas -- somewhat like in the movie "Minority Report".

Old 02-23-2012, 05:28 PM

2,947 posts, read 5,191,791 times
I drive a cab in Boston. We've had them for almost two years, but NY has had them even longer?

I can't stand those devices. Only when the meter turns on do they activate; otherwise I'd be a total wacko if it never turned off.

Often, I simply reach over and tap the OFF button, sometimes without warning to the fare. Usually, I try to warn them that my finger is coming their way...don't want to startle them, especially a woman, at night, who may be oblivious to my rant while wearing earbuds. That's all I need: touching a woman on the knee or the leg in the darkness of my cab, all while innocently trying to spare her and me this audio assault!

What bothers me is that I'll suggest to them that, if it bothers them, that they can tap the OFf button to end the madness -- but they simply tell me it's fine, it's not a problem. Huh? So we then ride for 20 minutes with that intrusion, in silence!

Many are unaware that it can be turned off, because they're not looking at the screen, period. Defeats the whole point of the ads, no?

There should be a discount if a rider doesn't turn it off, sponsored by the advertisers, but where I still get the full fare. Unlikely.

One gal from NYC riding with me last year told me that the first thing a true New Yorker does when entering a cab is to shut that darn device off!

Old 02-23-2012, 07:22 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,538,899 times
the cabs in philly are like old lincoln sweatboxes...its like being in the back of a cop car

gimme a nyc cab anyday. its luxury for the same cab fare

Old 02-23-2012, 07:32 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,045,839 times
Square wants the taxi limousine commission to replace the Tv screens with ipads.

Old 02-23-2012, 07:52 PM

877 posts, read 2,013,045 times
Its annoying but there's an option to shut it off. I remember when they demanded all taxis to install these screens, drivers were angry because it came out of their own pockets but if you think about it, it's very helpful so you don't get ripped off or driven elsewhere.

Old 02-23-2012, 08:07 PM

2,848 posts, read 7,580,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FOReverxpeace View Post
Its annoying but there's an option to shut it off. I remember when they demanded all taxis to install these screens, drivers were angry because it came out of their own pockets but if you think about it, it's very helpful so you don't get ripped off or driven elsewhere.
The fact it "mandated" credit cards was also popular. I put it in quotes because you still get the occasional claim that the machine is broken. I usually pay cash anyway unless it's on the corporate card.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City