Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 01:08 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,124,630 times

Advertisements

Here we go again unfortunately. Just last night on the way home from work on the Kings Highway Q line station, A guy with a hood ran past everyone with a young girl screaming how her iphone got stolen. Me and another guy ran after him but he had too much of a lead. I wound up calling 911 for the girl, And gave the best description I could of the guy. i did not see his face though. I asked her what happened and she said it got taken right from her hands. These iphones draw thieves like moths to a flame. Folks, Keep the gadgets and laptops and gizmos away. Every day this is happening. But guess what I saw today on the way to work: 3 people with iphones out and even a fancy laptop. Yikes!

Stay safe regardless. Don't care about statistics, Crime is UP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2012, 01:18 PM

2,848 posts, read 7,577,420 times
Good post. I would add, even if you think it's "out of sight", be careful. A friend of mine had her iphone in her back pocket on the subway, and lo and behold, when she exited the train, it was gone. She never even felt it leave her possession. This was maybe 10 months ago.

Old 02-23-2012, 01:19 PM

2,894 posts, read 5,904,476 times
I use my smartphone everyday on the subway. I read the news, listen to music, and sometimes watch a video. Never had any problems. Lots of these thieves, just snatch it outta you when you're distracted. So, I'm careful, when I'm standing or sitting close to the the doors and usually put it in my front pocket when they open or close.
I think these lil punks target women and kids mostly.

I would like to see one of them try that crap on me! they'd surely regret it.

Old 02-23-2012, 01:25 PM

288 posts, read 566,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by likeminas View Post
I use my smartphone everyday on the subway. I read the news, listen to music, and sometimes watch a video. Never had any problems. Lots of these thieves, just snatch it outta you when you're distracted. So, I'm careful, when I'm standing or sitting close to the the doors and usually put it in my front pocket when they open or close.
I think these lil punks target women and kids mostly.

I would like to see one of them try that crap on me! they'd surely regret it.
Well you, my friend, have not gotten with the times. Don't believe anyone else than some random stranger on the internet: crime is UP!

And, above all, ALWAYS interpret random isolated incidences that you happen to witness as a sign of general gloom and impending slip of this city into general chaos and destruction.

Just as I KNOW that some highschool kids I saw fighting on the street once a couple of months back when I was walking home is a sure sign that everyone walking around is just out to punch me personally in the face. Soon, New York will be nothing more than an oversized UFC ring with everyone fighting everyone else (good thing that I can physically dominate the bearded transplant yupsters, btw). So don't believe anyone else: crime is UP! Thugs are out to get YOU! Live in FEAR! AAAAAAAAHHHH!!!!!

Old 02-23-2012, 01:27 PM

1,871 posts, read 4,264,984 times
If I couldn't listen to the music on my iPhone in public, then that would negate much of its usefulness. However, I try to be discrete late at night or when walking in a deserted area--and I use black headphones and not the white Apple earbuds that virtually advertise an expensive Apple gadget.

Anyway, its not worth it to resist a violent person over an iPhone. I'd rather buy a new one than have a hospital stay or worse.

Old 02-23-2012, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grigou View Post
Well you, my friend, have not gotten with the times. Don't believe anyone else than some random stranger on the internet: crime is UP!

And, above all, ALWAYS interpret random isolated incidences that you happen to witness as a sign of general gloom and impending slip of this city into general chaos and destruction.

Just as I KNOW that some highschool kids I saw fighting on the street once a couple of months back when I was walking home is a sure sign that everyone walking around is just out to punch me personally in the face. Soon, New York will be nothing more than an oversized UFC ring with everyone fighting everyone else (good thing that I can physically dominate the bearded transplant yupsters, btw). So don't believe anyone else: crime is UP! Thugs are out to get YOU! Live in FEAR! AAAAAAAAHHHH!!!!!
it's not about living in fear. Know where you are, And walk like you know where you are going. Crime has gone up. How many people shot during a week in this city? An 8 year old kid got shot in the store buying candy yesterday. It's sad, really.

And as far as UFC and the movies go: Many of us know that violence is ugly. Real ugly. No van Damme helicopter kicks or fancy stuff.

Old 02-23-2012, 02:19 PM

5,452 posts, read 11,246,530 times
I have my SAMSUNG phone from 2006 nobody wants it.

Music is best to listen in your own home from a 80's early 90's TECHNICS stereo.

Old 02-23-2012, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitlock View Post
I have my SAMSUNG phone from 2006 nobody wants it.

Music is best to listen in your own home from a 80's early 90's TECHNICS stereo.

I use a Discman mostly. I feel old-school with it and it has great sound.

Wait...I think I am old school..Yeah, I am

Old 02-23-2012, 02:38 PM

2,628 posts, read 4,608,769 times
Check the Brooklyn Papers website. Theft is up, especially around Williamsburg, Greenpoint and Bushwick. It's just that not everything makes the news.

Old 02-23-2012, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss J 74 View Post
Check the Brooklyn Papers website. Theft is up, especially around Williamsburg, Greenpoint and Bushwick. It's just that not everything makes the news.
Heard about a few iphone snatching from thieves on bicycle, And assaults in general. This is 100% true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: