Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 02:22 PM

17 posts, read 55,111 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by makossa View Post
I'm not going to rain on your parade and I hope you can certainly follow your dream and pursue what makes you happy. Problem is NY is saturated with artsy types. So much so that is seems to actually take the art out of the arts. If you come here to pursue the arts as a career move it's going to be tough to breakthrough. Really tough. You'll definitely need a day job! Your price range of $800 for rent with room mates in a neighborhood of your peers will probably lead you to Bushwick. Good luck.
i'm def. going to have a day job. a big part of my move to nyc has to do with living somewhere else other than where i was born and raised and see if the city life is for me. but yeah, i'm def going to have a 9-5 (ideally) until i get where i want to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlushingRepresenter View Post
What exactly is a "creative neighborhood"??

You can be in the middle of a desert and still be able to create things. Its actually a good gauge to see if you're actually creative.
ha, exactly i know what you are saying. it's just that i would like to be around more like-minded people and experience the city life. i've lived in the suburbs all my life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2012, 02:27 PM

2,628 posts, read 4,610,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noctemdiem View Post
I would probably be able to afford about $800 a month living with a roommate.

But, for the sake of this post, let's say money isn't a problem.
Code for "mom & dad will be footing the rent bill". If I'm wrong, correct me.

Finding a 2BR for $1600 is pretty tough considering even in Bushwick unless you want to be on a block that is still sketchy.

Astoria 1 BRs are going for $1400 and $1500 and rising, so that might be out soon.

Also like Makossa mentioned, the number of "creative artsy" types moving and living here are a dime a dozen. There's a lot of competition. So if you don't have a job lined up already, start looking. There's enough posts on here if you do a search of people who moved here with big dreams and were sorely disappointed.

Oh and if you can't handle diversity and other races and nationalities, please don't waste your time coming here.

Old 02-24-2012, 02:41 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,295,470 times
My friends in Bushwick are working artists that live there because they can afford it without a day job. Yes, it would suck to wait tables all day just to live in Bushwick, but if living there allows you to be a working artist, it's not such a bad trade off. The community is quite vibrant. Lots of painters, filmmakers, dancers, etc.

Old 02-24-2012, 04:24 PM

288 posts, read 566,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpk-nyc View Post
My friends in Bushwick are working artists that live there because they can afford it without a day job. Yes, it would suck to wait tables all day just to live in Bushwick, but if living there allows you to be a working artist, it's not such a bad trade off. The community is quite vibrant. Lots of painters, filmmakers, dancers, etc.
You're a liar. Bushwick only harbors bearded trustfund transplant yupsters. The arts, if such a thing even exists, has died in New York City because of the hipster transplants. I would much rather advise you to move to the desert in order to assess your creativity. Much more productive than to move to a city like New York.

Old 02-24-2012, 04:44 PM

1,409 posts, read 5,250,085 times
During my younger starving artists days, I lived in a shared loft with six other creative types. Was it cheap? Yes. Was it miserable? Hell yes. Talk about psychodrama, emphasis on the psycho.

I can understand wanting to get out of the gray that is DC, but you may want to save up some more cash to afford a bit more space for yourself to create.

Old 02-24-2012, 04:52 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,295,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grigou View Post
You're a liar. Bushwick only harbors bearded trustfund transplant yupsters. The arts, if such a thing even exists, has died in New York City because of the hipster transplants. I would much rather advise you to move to the desert in order to assess your creativity. Much more productive than to move to a city like New York.
How am I a liar? Are you familiar with the occupations of everyone living in Bushwick? How do you know where their money comes from? I know artists living in Bushwick because I've hired them to work on my shows.

Old 02-24-2012, 11:09 PM

3,025 posts, read 6,808,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss J 74 View Post
Code for "mom & dad will be footing the rent bill". If I'm wrong, correct me.

Finding a 2BR for $1600 is pretty tough considering even in Bushwick unless you want to be on a block that is still sketchy.

Astoria 1 BRs are going for $1400 and $1500 and rising, so that might be out soon.

Also like Makossa mentioned, the number of "creative artsy" types moving and living here are a dime a dozen. There's a lot of competition. So if you don't have a job lined up already, start looking. There's enough posts on here if you do a search of people who moved here with big dreams and were sorely disappointed.

Oh and if you can't handle diversity and other races and nationalities, please don't waste your time coming here.
Bushwick and not code word Bushwick that is really East Williamsburg is still cheap because its still the hood and continues to see its crime rate increase after years of decreasing... The media may try to downplay crime in this area to keep people interested but Bushwick is far from being a safe neighborhood with only random "sketchy blocks"...

And @tpk- if you cant see the sarcasm in grigous posts then thats really sad... just saying...

Old 02-25-2012, 06:54 AM

17 posts, read 55,111 times
Thanks for the responses everyone. From your responses, I gather that Williamsburg or Bushwick is the place to be. I've even checked craigslist for rooms, and there are some that go for $600-$800. Right in my price range.

Also Miss J, no my parents won't be paying for anything. I said that price wasn't an object because if I really wanted to live in a particular area, I'd find a way to manage it. I.e. slum it by sharing rooms, getting 8 roomates, work multiple jobs, etc..

Old 02-25-2012, 08:39 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,130,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noctemdiem View Post
Thanks for the responses everyone. From your responses, I gather that Williamsburg or Bushwick is the place to be. I've even checked craigslist for rooms, and there are some that go for $600-$800. Right in my price range.

Also Miss J, no my parents won't be paying for anything. I said that price wasn't an object because if I really wanted to live in a particular area, I'd find a way to manage it. I.e. slum it by sharing rooms, getting 8 roomates, work multiple jobs, etc..
There may be rooms for that price in Bushwick, but Williamsburg itself is a very pricey neighborhood and rooms generally go for MUCH more than $600. Think about it -- a $600 room means a three bedroom apartment is $1800. In Williamsburg you might get a one bedroom for $1800.

Remember that people love to blur boundary lines of neighborhoods. Also, even if there is a $800 room in true-Williamsburg (probably in an old rent-stabilized place that the primary tenant has been in for a long time), there is going to be heavy competition for it and you are not likely to be able to get it because there will be many others competing for it who know how to play the NY real estate game.

Old 02-25-2012, 09:16 AM

2,871 posts, read 4,792,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grigou View Post
Not true. Don't you know that hipster transplants are the ones that brought art and culture to New York? Before they arrived this city was dull and dead, no art, no culture, and the natives were clueless. If you don't believe me just ask them, they'll be more than happy to school you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City