Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2012, 12:19 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,815,444 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlushingRepresenter View Post
New York City is the most crowded ALPHA++ city in the world. Spanish people do not live in New York City. Just because people speak a language does not mean they are of that group.

For example. East Harlem is otherwise known as Spanish Harlem, why is that? Because people there speak Spanish? For the most part Ive never seen anyone there that looks like a Spaniard to me.

Is central/black Harlem English Harlem? Those "spanish" people you speak of simply speak spanish and that is about all they have in connection with Spain.

Is Michael Jordan English because he speaks it? NO
I honestly have no idea what you are trying to say here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2012, 06:32 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,589,115 times
Quote:
My question is, how much do you hate people in this city on a scale of 1 - 10?
I give myself a 5; I'm somewhere in the middle. But it's a conditional 5. I find that I hate people according to the particular situation. For instance, if someone tries to cut into my line at the supermarket...I hate them. If that same person holds an elevator door for me, I don't hate them at all.

Old 02-27-2012, 07:46 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
I like it when I'm here and LOVE NYC when I am anywhere else.

It took a while but everything WORKS in this City. The theater works, the movies work, the libraries work, my co-op works, the location works, the transportation system works, communications (FIOS) works, shopping works, health system works, the weather usually works. I know many cheap but good restaurants and can even manage a free gym.

Several of these things require "massaging" but this City can do for me what no other can.

BUT I do not have to work and that might make my situation more tenable than someone who has to slave away at a hateful job day after endless day.

Last edited by Kefir King; 02-27-2012 at 07:58 AM..

Old 02-27-2012, 10:55 AM

62 posts, read 187,379 times
Quote:
New York City is the most crowded ALPHA++ city in the world. Spanish people do not live in New York City. Just because people speak a language does not mean they are of that group.

For example. East Harlem is otherwise known as Spanish Harlem, why is that? Because people there speak Spanish? For the most part Ive never seen anyone there that looks like a Spaniard to me.

Is central/black Harlem English Harlem? Those "spanish" people you speak of simply speak spanish and that is about all they have in connection with Spain.

Is Michael Jordan English because he speaks it? NO
You know what he means, the Puerto Ricans, Dominicans, etc.

Old 02-27-2012, 11:27 AM

458 posts, read 616,006 times
Quote:
New York City is the most crowded and diverse city in the world.
New York isn't even in the top 50 most crowded cities in the world (List of cities proper by population density - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

Diversity is harder to measure, since it depends on what exactly you mean by it, but as far as percentage of residents who are foreign born New York is number 10 in the world with other American cities (San Francisco, Miami, and Los Angeles) higher on the list. However, it is indisputably the most linguistically diverse city in the world (800 languages spoken).

As for the original question, I'd probably say 8 in Manhattan, 4-7 in other Boroughs.

Old 02-28-2012, 02:12 AM

1,519 posts, read 1,815,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shmacked View Post
You know what he means, the Puerto Ricans, Dominicans, etc.
I get it now. Sorry about that, calling them Spanish (Spaniards from Spain?) just because they speak Spanish language is very ignorant.

Is Latinos the proper word for Ricans, Dominicans, etc?

Old 02-28-2012, 04:23 AM

106,566 posts, read 108,713,667 times
cant say i hate anyone, least of all people i dont even know.

Old 02-28-2012, 05:14 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgr555 View Post
I get it now. Sorry about that, calling them Spanish (Spaniards from Spain?) just because they speak Spanish language is very ignorant.

Is Latinos the proper word for Ricans, Dominicans, etc?
I use HISPANIC. But of course that doesn't work for Mexicans and South Americans. I guess a more complex word is needed like "Spanish-American"...but that sounds too clinical.

Last edited by Kefir King; 02-28-2012 at 06:09 AM..

Old 02-28-2012, 07:47 AM

5,452 posts, read 11,246,530 times
When Penelope Cruz was asked how do you feel about the comparsion to Salma Hayek, Penelope said I'm spanish.

The interviewer: So you mean you're a spanish speaking Mexican?

Old 02-28-2012, 08:14 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,589,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester2138 View Post
Diversity is harder to measure, since it depends on what exactly you mean by it...
That's a polite way of acknowledging that "diversity" is a code word, and usually depends on what you're trying to prove. Or who you don't especially care for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: