Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 06:30 AM

2,896 posts, read 9,810,627 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wordlife View Post
It's not that hard to make your own...but if you really want some good fresh ones from scratch..just walk down nostrand avenue in crown heights and take your pick at certain establishments.
Actually, it is VERY hard to make the crust! It is even harder to make the Roti wrap. Takes mad skills! "Fresh" as you put it, is the ONLY way to have a good patty.

@Biskit

"Dipping in hot sauce"???

I've never hear of this, and simply shudder to imagine. Aren't the patty itself hot enough???

Ahhhhhhh!

Maybe it is an Indian thing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2012, 06:36 AM

2,896 posts, read 9,810,627 times
Not sure if Hatians do patties, but it may be. Patties, like Roti, and much of West Indian Cuisine is heavily influenced by Asian Indians brought to the islands by the British. Haiti being a French colony did not have the same influencs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 803andy View Post
Yep, that is the case, that is why I want to taste some that are more authentic. I've only had the ones at 7-11 and the frozen ones from the grocery stores.
Just as I thought.

Only two brands I'm aware of that are mass marketed.

Tower Isle, which is the original patty maker here in the USA. Back in the day they were pretty good, when they were made by hand and i lower volume. Now the machine made frozen crap is nothing more than dog slop in a yellow wrapper! Reminds me of the old Wendy's commercials, "Whereeee'sss the Beef???"

Golden Crust is the other if I recall. Haven't tried these and aren't likely to do so. Good patties simply cannot be mass made without effecting quality.

Only people who don't know better eat that! No self respecting West Indian will. It w/b like asking an Italian to eat Chef Boyardee out of a can!!! Or, frozen pizza!

Btw, West Indians eat their patties with Coco bread. If you go to Christies, which you must, just ask for a pattie and Coco bread. The patty is placed between the bread and eaten sorta like a sandwich. The bread will help to dull the volcano like spiceyness. Me in my Americaness eat the patty plain with a load of cold macaroni salad on the side!

Old 03-01-2012, 05:12 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,530,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dapanza107 View Post
As for frozen Jamaican beef patties, try Tower Isle's spicy patties. They're awesome
hell yeah!

Old 03-01-2012, 05:27 PM

749 posts, read 2,454,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoltrane View Post
Actually, it is VERY hard to make the crust! It is even harder to make the Roti wrap. Takes mad skills! "Fresh" as you put it, is the ONLY way to have a good patty.

@Biskit

"Dipping in hot sauce"???

I've never hear of this, and simply shudder to imagine. Aren't the patty itself hot enough???

Ahhhhhhh!

Maybe it is an Indian thing?

Haha, yeah lots of my friends growing up would put hot sauce on everything, so I got used to doing the same. I guess it's not customary, but lots of West Indians do like hot and spicy food.

All this talk about food is making me crave some doubles / roti, some nice ackee and saltfish, a little fried dumpling, some oxtail and creamy coleslaw. Mmmm.

Old 03-01-2012, 06:56 PM

34,061 posts, read 47,260,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoltrane View Post
The original location was on Nostrand just off Empire Blvd., across from the Chase Bank, and it appears to still be there. The last time I was in the area, I think there was another location down Nostrand not far from Allen's Bakery.

Don't know Ali's. Utica and what? Is that the sit down restaurant? If so, I have not been there.

If not, then are you familiar with any sit down restaurants? I know one or two relatively sizeable places opened YEARS ago. Don't know they are still around.

Another question, are you familiar with 'Taste of Tropics' ice cream store at Utica and Aveenue D? Did they close that store? I found the web site, and it looks like they just distribute their ice cream now, and have sold out trying to appeal to a wider audience. Maybe I read the site wrong, but they appear to be down to just for flavors. Psedo flavors at that, for example Grapenut has become 'Great Nut'.

Maybe this Summer I'll get down that way.....
I believe Ali's is on Utica between President and Union....Yeah I know Taste of Tropics but I literally havent been to that part of Utica Avenue in years. I believe they're still open. Allan's makes some wicked beef patties. I remember as a kid in the 80s my father used to take us there and cars would be triple-parked on Nostrand Avenue no lie. The beef patties and the sugarcake are the best. Harddough bread too. Honorable mention for "de spongecake."

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 03-01-2012, 07:10 PM

357 posts, read 727,503 times
Hot sauce? Never heard that before.

Haitian patties, when done well, are better than Jamaican patties.

Cocoa bread is not universal. Plenty will eat the thing solo.

Taste The Tropics... they still have a store on Nostrand and Avenue D. The one on Utica and Avenue D, was rebranded as Tru Flavaz, and they sell more than ice cream, too.

Old 03-05-2012, 08:14 AM

15 posts, read 111,897 times
Golden Krust is HORRIBLE! It's like saying McD's has the best burgers -- the filling is paste instead of actual meat...want a good beef patty - walk up and down Flatbush avenue, around Church Avenue, or head up to the North Bronx, around Wakefield area - Champion Bakery is great

Old 03-05-2012, 08:32 AM

576 posts, read 1,596,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by askangiwa View Post
Golden Krust is HORRIBLE! It's like saying McD's has the best burgers -- the filling is paste instead of actual meat...want a good beef patty - walk up and down Flatbush avenue, around Church Avenue, or head up to the North Bronx, around Wakefield area - Champion Bakery is great
Agreed, Golden Krust was OK for a while but went downhill a lot the past few times I've been there. The cocoa bread was stale and the beef patties had pretty much no beef.

Old 03-05-2012, 09:40 AM

357 posts, read 727,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by askangiwa View Post

Golden Krust is not horrible, it's OK.
They still have some room to go downhill before they can be to patties what McDonald's is to burgers.

Old 03-05-2012, 10:31 PM

2,691 posts, read 4,329,491 times
I really like the soy patties... I keep telling myself that they're healthier than the beef ones

Related side note: my co worker (who's brand spanking new to NYC) just discovered plantains. I should introduce him to Beef Patties.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City