Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 06:31 AM

455 posts, read 651,867 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Incorrect. Nobody from the Tri-State area will ever say I'm going to the city and mean Staten Island.

The city = Manhattan and that's it.
Incorrect.

The City aka sections of Manhattan = Columbia University South until Battery Park. Harlem, Washington Heights, and Inwood are not apart of "the city." They are nearby "the city".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2012, 09:41 AM

32,101 posts, read 34,720,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
The City = Manhattan and thats it. The 5 boros make up NYC but when you specifically say the city, you're going to Manhattan.
I know a lot of people who say "the Whole New York" when talking about the Five Boroughs. They then say "the City" when referring to Manhattan. I say "the City" when referring to Manhattan.

Old 02-28-2012, 02:56 PM

669 posts, read 1,273,913 times
Sometimes I refer to the whole NYC as the city like when I moved to Long Island I was from Brooklyn sometimes I'd say just Brooklyn or the city. Even some of my friends say josh is from the city even though Ive never lived in Manhattan.

But other than I usually just reserve the city for Manhattan, and I randomly sometimes say Manhattan and sometimes just say the city.

Old 02-28-2012, 03:55 PM

2,896 posts, read 9,813,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlushingRepresenter View Post
When do you refer to Manhattan as Manhattan and when do you refer to it as "The City" ?
When you are not from, nor live in 'the city'.

Native residents of the 4 boroughs refer to Manhattan as 'the city'; and do so, specifically, when conversing with one another.

This emanates from a 'neighborhood' (or borough) first, and Manhattan second, mentality.

Contrary to Transplants, who have a Manhattan first mentality; and, perhaps a Manhattan 'only' mentality.

Old 02-28-2012, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoking66 View Post
Way to cut off "with an emphasis on Manhattan." Plenty of people will say they're from "the City" when in fact they're from an outer borough, although Staten Island is almost always exempted from this. In most cases, though, suburbanites infer Manhattan since most don't really have a reason to even go to Brooklyn, Queens, or the Bronx (apart from Yankee Stadium, but then it's usually "I'm going to the game" or the like). It's all nuance.

The bigger question is who goes to Staten Island at all apart from those who live there.
You sound like a numnutted Transplant attempting to redfine what you don't comprehend and are not a part of. You really don't know what you are talking about; either that or you are socially limited.

NO native of the four boroughs would refer to being from THE CITY!!

When outside of 'the city', a native will say, "I am from NY" or "...from (fill in the borough)".

When talking to someone from London, Seattle, or Baltimore, for example, a reference to 'the city' w/b stupid and nonsensical, as they w/n have a clue as to what city one w/b speaking of.

'The city' only has reference while present within the tri state.

[Q]...suburbanites...don't have a reason to even go to Brooklyn, Queens, or The Bronx....[/q]

LMAO at the arrogance of stupidity!

Spoken like a true Transplant and/or a numnutted juvenile from wayyyyy out in the burbs.

No reason to go visit the old neighborhood, nor old neighborhood haunts, restaurants or clubs, nor events; no reason to visit Uncle Mike and Aunt Francis, nor Grandma and Grandpa, nor Sally and Bobby who moved back to 'the city'. No reason to show up at your job in the boroughs; see a doctor or dentist. Nope, not a fkn reason at all...

Numnut, with no idea what life is like in NYC at all!

Gosh, what is it like to live such a narrow existence?

Old 02-28-2012, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoking66 View Post
Both my parents are from NYC (dad from Forest Hills, mom from Brooklyn Heights), and both say that they're "from the City," so it might be something I grew up with, but even as someone who's lived in the NYC area most of his life, I've heard a variety of "the City" definitions, so who knows. Normally this seems to be the case:

"Where are you from?"
"I'm from the City."
"Where?"
"[insert borough or neighborhood here]."
I knew it!

Your mom and dad may be from NYC, but NOT you!

Living "in and around" is NOT the same as 'living in and among'!

You have no real personal reference to what you speak. You haven't lived it so you are making it up. Just like a Transplant!

Suburban boy wanting to make like he is a NYer; attempting to usurp my birthright and define ME! I hate this sht!

Back in the day, the venom toward Transplants used to be reserved for whiteflight suburban prodigy like the quoted poster.

They would think and act like they were 'better', cause they are from the burbs . Then get them in a crowd, and all of a sudden, 'they' are from NYC!

This poster THINKS he knows NYC, but how could he? By his own words, he has had No reason to come here!!

Old 02-28-2012, 04:43 PM

34,091 posts, read 47,293,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoltrane View Post
You sound like a numnutted Transplant attempting to redfine what you don't comprehend and are not a part of. You really don't know what you are talking about; either that or you are socially limited.

NO native of the four boroughs would refer to being from THE CITY!!

When outside of 'the city', a native will say, "I am from NY" or "...from (fill in the borough)".

When talking to someone from London, Seattle, or Baltimore, for example, a reference to 'the city' w/b stupid and nonsensical, as they w/n have a clue as to what city one w/b speaking of.

'The city' only has reference while present within the tri state.

[Q]...suburbanites...don't have a reason to even go to Brooklyn, Queens, or The Bronx....[/q]

LMAO at the arrogance of stupidity!

Spoken like a true Transplant and/or a numnutted juvenile from wayyyyy out in the burbs.

No reason to go visit the old neighborhood, nor old neighborhood haunts, restaurants or clubs, nor events; no reason to visit Uncle Mike and Aunt Francis, nor Grandma and Grandpa, nor Sally and Bobby who moved back to 'the city'. No reason to show up at your job in the boroughs; see a doctor or dentist. Nope, not a fkn reason at all...

Numnut, with no idea what life is like in NYC at all!

Gosh, what is it like to live such a narrow existence?
"You must spread some reputation around before giving it to jcoltrane again"

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 02-28-2012, 05:22 PM

400 posts, read 983,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoltrane View Post
When you are not from, nor live in 'the city'.

Native residents of the 4 boroughs refer to Manhattan as 'the city'; and do so, specifically, when conversing with one another.

This emanates from a 'neighborhood' (or borough) first, and Manhattan second, mentality.

Contrary to Transplants, who have a Manhattan first mentality; and, perhaps a Manhattan 'only' mentality.
I still cant differentiate on when YOU use city and when you use manhattan.

Basically, when you speak with your friends, when do you say "the city" and when do you say "manhattan" (they are in actuality both the same thing).

Old 02-28-2012, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal. View Post
Incorrect.

The City aka sections of Manhattan = Columbia University South until Battery Park. Harlem, Washington Heights, and Inwood are not apart of "the city." They are nearby "the city".
Real New Yorkers say "I'm going uptown."

I would never tell anybody I'm going "nearby the city."

Depending on the context of the conversation, you wouldn't even have to ask if I was going to Harlem, or even the Bronx.

So, um, good try.

Old 02-28-2012, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I know a lot of people who say "the Whole New York" when talking about the Five Boroughs. They then say "the City" when referring to Manhattan. I say "the City" when referring to Manhattan.
"The Whole New York???"

Thats a new one for me. All I know is natives say we're from New York when we're from out of town and if further inquiries are made we state the borough. "The city" is a term strictly used by the outer boroughs and Long Islanders/Westchester county. Even people in the Bronx don't say they're going to "the city," they just say they're going downtown. They don't even say Harlem, they'll just say they're going to 125th Street.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City