Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 01:44 AM

21 posts, read 16,122 times

Advertisements

People are holding their spending lately ,to not get in no more bills. the true is landlords, markets and pharmacys are raising their products to a point where nobody can shop.than companys hires people and dont want to pay.this the catch !! you raise the bills,you dont want to pay and you take everything back,. NYC i cant undertsand how cruel and so **ing selfish!!!! it triggers me seeing people forum talking about people who lives in welfare and uses their only benefits to go on. but nobody wants to hire,or pay a decent amount of money to handle a family or whatever situation.lets be real people ,NYC GIVES AND TAKES DOUBLE ON YOU!! i personally lost respect on this state at all.NEW JERSEY , might not have it as good in NY , BUT THEY WORK WITH THE PEOPLE AND BETTER. i work in NYC, paying 3 diffrent taxes, state,local and whatever they want to put in my bill.my problem like anyone else ,employers doesnt want to pay,how the hell people are suppost to live? really this state is getting real bad. lets see for the next few years ,when all people has realized they had been robbed from this goverment whats going to happen
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2012, 04:26 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,105,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiconotaloca View Post
People are holding their spending lately ,to not get in no more bills. the true is landlords, markets and pharmacys are raising their products to a point where nobody can shop.than companys hires people and dont want to pay.this the catch !! you raise the bills,you dont want to pay and you take everything back,. NYC i cant undertsand how cruel and so **ing selfish!!!! it triggers me seeing people forum talking about people who lives in welfare and uses their only benefits to go on. but nobody wants to hire,or pay a decent amount of money to handle a family or whatever situation.lets be real people ,NYC GIVES AND TAKES DOUBLE ON YOU!! i personally lost respect on this state at all.NEW JERSEY , might not have it as good in NY , BUT THEY WORK WITH THE PEOPLE AND BETTER. i work in NYC, paying 3 diffrent taxes, state,local and whatever they want to put in my bill.my problem like anyone else ,employers doesnt want to pay,how the hell people are suppost to live? really this state is getting real bad. lets see for the next few years ,when all people has realized they had been robbed from this goverment whats going to happen

I hear ya loud and clear

And to add to your comment, not only is NYC a safe haven for illegals (so employers can hire them and pay them less) BUT when employers actually want to hire someone for a real job they hire transplants or people who do not even reside in the city or state. Talk about sad its depressing as well as pathetic. If I were to apply for a job in another state the minute they see that I'm not a local applicant I dont even make it as a candidate, IN THE GARBAGE MY RESUME GOES and no I'm not kidding.

Last edited by Bronxguyanese; 02-28-2012 at 04:43 AM..

Old 02-28-2012, 10:32 PM

21 posts, read 16,122 times
pretty much ,where we going ? how can you send someone from welfare to a job search on F.E.G.S when they go to interview and they see they came from there ,its a no!!!! so go to 100 centre and DO youre job !!!! for the money i give you!! see when i find my part time job at fegs with a minium wage,they cut my benefits, and i had to pay my rent, 30 % of income, i improve my search with a full time job and got out of welfare, and everything comes out of my pocket.so IRS, SMASH MY CHECK TAKING 600.00 MONTLY, at the end of the year i dont get that back, well im single, and it happens that IRS HAS A LITTLE REFUND,BUT THE NYC STATE HAS A BILL FOR ME!!!!! we work hard and earn our things ,but this non sence state wants to take everything!! thats sick!! and the truth i feel that we are had been robbed all this time,people talks they have some degrees ,bachelor,rich or whatever situation, and is because they are the biggest corruption monopoly in the hole USA. WELL WHATEVER IF SOME PEOPLE FELT OFENDED ,IT DONT MATTER CUZ WHAT THIS GOVERMENT ARE DOING TO US,ITS MUCH MORE BAD. NYERS SPEAK UP!!!!

Old 02-29-2012, 09:23 AM

2,481 posts, read 2,784,413 times
I don't want to sound insulting, but you need to work on your written communication skills. That may help in your search for a better paying position.

Old 02-29-2012, 09:48 AM

2,894 posts, read 5,918,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charmed hour View Post
I don't want to sound insulting, but you need to work on your written communication skills. That may help in your search for a better paying position.
Ditto.

This whole thing seems like a rant without a clear point.

Old 02-29-2012, 10:17 AM

24 posts, read 70,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charmed hour View Post
What does his story have to do with his writing skills? Nobody knows what he does but I bet he is not paralegal, attorney etc. He might be working legally in an ethnic retailer or etc. In such a case, sharpening his writing skills will not give him an additional cent in his current market. He is not going to get a collage credit or TOEFL grade on this website either.
He is just very frustrated and mad at those employers that are not honest. And he is sharing his burden here, maybe looking for an advise.

Old 02-29-2012, 10:18 AM

1,871 posts, read 4,275,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
I hear ya loud and clear

And to add to your comment, not only is NYC a safe haven for illegals (so employers can hire them and pay them less) BUT when employers actually want to hire someone for a real job they hire transplants or people who do not even reside in the city or state. Talk about sad its depressing as well as pathetic. If I were to apply for a job in another state the minute they see that I'm not a local applicant I dont even make it as a candidate, IN THE GARBAGE MY RESUME GOES and no I'm not kidding.
Employers are more than willing to hire anyone who lives nearby -- but only if they have the skills for the job. If you are going for a higher paying job, you better have the education and/or the experience necessary to fulfill the required duties.

I know many gainfully employed people who are native to NYC, so your argument doesn't hold up.

Old 02-29-2012, 10:30 AM

1,871 posts, read 4,275,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLtoNY View Post
What does his story have to do with his writing skills? Nobody knows what he does but I bet he is not paralegal, attorney etc. He might be working legally in an ethnic retailer or etc. In such a case, sharpening his writing skills will not give him an additional cent in his current market. He is not going to get a collage credit or TOEFL grade on this website either.
He is just very frustrated and mad at those employers that are not honest. And he is sharing his burden here, maybe looking for an advise.
You don't think that the ability to communicate clearly verbally and in writing matters to employers? I have a newsflash for you -- it most certainly does. I trash any resume with grammatical errors, slang, or awkward sentence structure. I'm not running a school here.

Old 02-29-2012, 11:47 AM

2,691 posts, read 4,340,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barkomatic View Post
Employers are more than willing to hire anyone who lives nearby -- but only if they have the skills for the job. If you are going for a higher paying job, you better have the education and/or the experience necessary to fulfill the required duties.

I know many gainfully employed people who are native to NYC, so your argument doesn't hold up.
Agreed. My company will hire whomever has the background suited for the open positions. I've had to interview a few people for positions in my department and the LAST thing I look at or care about is where they live or are from. I focus on their skill set, their educational background, if they fit well with the team, and how well they answer the interview questions.

OP, I absolutely empathize with your irritation over the whole system. I'm also single with no dependents and it's really maddening to see how much they take out in taxes. However, I have to agree with the other responses about your written communication skills. I know that this is just a forum and not an English exam, but if your written communication is not the best, you should get some assistance with putting together your resume so you can get a higher paying job. Yeah, they'll still take out taxes but you'll be making more so it won't sting as much. Even if you apply for jobs where written communication isn't important, you still don't want a potential employer to disregard your resume just because your grammar and spelling isn't the best. You always want to give the best representation possible when you're looking for a job and that includes dressing well for an interview. I'm sure there are free services in the city that will help with resumes.

Old 02-29-2012, 02:30 PM

24 posts, read 70,552 times
Improve your english = get higher paying job...
Where does the recession and unemployment stand in this equation?
%20+ (not the official but real number) unemployment forces somethings in and out. HR's get hundreds of resumes for a job posting. And the eliminating factors should be more than english and the grammar.
If an immigrant's computer programming resume is filtered out because of its english / grammar, then screw that company.
In my opinion (may be most people), the HR departments are/should be the most important department. They should be extremely experienced, knowledgeable so that they will have the ability to evaluate resumes. They should know the meaning and value of the technical terms so that they can compare. Unfortunately, this is not the case and somehow "John" wins over "Armando". I am sorry but this is the reality in most cases, especially within the last 5-6 years.
Some software companies are hiring hackers from other countries just because they were able to hack them, regardless of their level of english. Makes sense to me.
On a local newspaper's online version, still today, you are not able to share a news on facebook etc without registering. It is a website problem and webmaster (internal) needs to know how to do it. Have you seen such a thing anywhere else? I have not. But if you go and visit the company, you will see that the tech guy has been employed for years and thats the way it is. I am sure you guys have seen many similar stuff, if not the website then something else. Is that company going to hire a new one? Who is going to interview the candidates?

Last edited by FLtoNY; 02-29-2012 at 03:53 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City